Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby RickPlite » February 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm

trails are very muddy right now, please avoid. Check out the Luton Park Facebook site for a video of the mess
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Mike_D » February 4th, 2012, 4:24 pm

RickPlite wrote:trails are very muddy right now, please avoid. Check out the Luton Park Facebook site for a video of the mess

What a mess!!! Why would anyone want to ride this trail when it looks like this? Common sense would say to find a sandier trail like Yankee or hit the road and/or paved trails.

Link to above mentioned video:

http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=200046220035761
Mike_D

Postby morgan1819 » February 6th, 2012, 2:11 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Those that want a easy, flat, straight trail should stick to the roads then. Quit all the whining about mud and ruts. Some riders like a challenge and dont mind obstacles and ruts, mud. We should not have to nor cater to those that want all trails to be easy and for beginers.
With the amount of advanced level trails now very few and far between what do you expect us to do. I havent been out to luton yet this year but some mud would not stop me, nor some pansy at the trailhead giving me grief.

I guarantee you wouldn't call me a pansy if you were standing in front of me. (or several of my friends who mountain bike at Luton).

As Rick said, preserving the trail is not about level of difficulty, or "wanting all trails to be easy and for beginers", as you so eloquently stated.

It's about preserving the trails.
morgan1819

Postby Mike_D » February 10th, 2012, 12:11 pm

I went out this morning around 8am to do a lap while the trail was still frozen and well, it wasn't pretty. I thought the worst area would be the area along the road like the video shows above. Oh no, it continues......

As you approach the intersection of the blue and orange loop:

There are 3 signs (1 at the kiosk, 1 just as you get on the trail along the road, and this 1 at the intersection of the blue and orange loop) in plain English that look a lot like this (apparently, we must have a lot of foreigners riding here that do not know how to read English....):

This is at the beginning of the orange loop:

I bailed after riding the orange loop since the carnage continued. I had a slower average speed than when I ride at Bass River due to how rough it is....

Anyway, for those that wanted an "advanced level trail", well, we've got one now (at least when it is frozen). Keep up the good work pizza cutters! :mrgreen: This trail is much more fun to ride than a smooth hardpack trail..... :roll:
Mike_D

Postby RickPlite » February 10th, 2012, 12:25 pm

wow. now that's a sign! I can hear it now, "but I didnt see it, where was it?" :roll:
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Mike_D » February 10th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Based on what it looks like out there, I sure hope the county does not close the trail to bike traffic during the winter time or worse, close it to bike traffic all together :x
Mike_D

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » February 10th, 2012, 7:59 pm

mntn-biker wrote:Anyway, for those that wanted an "advanced level trail", well, we've got one now (at least when it is frozen). Keep up the good work pizza cutters! :mrgreen: This trail is much more fun to ride than a smooth hardpack trail..... :roll:

Even I know that luton is not rideable now and we must stick to sandy trails like yankee for a while still. :(
I dont believe a few ruts or sloppy sections qualifies this trail for "advanced difficulty" status. :wink: Good thing to or everybody would be an expert. 8) As for the ruts, with the amount of traffic luton gets they will quickly be taken care of. What we need to do is better educate the majority of riders that dont know anything(or care)about trail sustainability. They need to stick to the trail and not widen it to avoid a little twig or mud.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby StillBill » February 11th, 2012, 10:05 pm

To...mntn-biker:

Have you noticed yet that you are the ONLY one on this forum advocating turning the Luton trails into an eroded mess?

Get a clue, and just go away please. If you like rough/eroded trails go and find one that's already trashed. We "beginners" like Luton the way it is.

Bill
StillBill

Postby yamaha13 » February 11th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Well said Still Bill, That's exactly what Luton was intended for, a nice family friendly trail system for Bikers, hikers, runners, bird watchers etc... Not to go out and simulate race conditions for The Lumberjack 100. Luton is what it is and we should keep it unique and different from the SGA's, Yankee's and Custer's.
yamaha13

Postby Mike_D » February 12th, 2012, 12:01 am

Bill and Yamaha13,

I can assure you that I am NOT advocating eroding and destroying trails. I am completely the opposite in the fact that I LOVE a smooth hardpacked trail, just the way Luton USED to be prior to the shred fest that took place this winter (see pics on the previous page). I think you missed my notes of sarcasm and I apologize if you missed that but I was extremely *beep* off when I added to the thread since I took an hour out of my work day early in the morning to go ride Luton while the trail was frozen when there is no damage to the trail and see the crap that was shown in my pictures a few posts above on the previous page. I was appalled when I saw this hence the pictures I had to share of what happens to a great trail if common sense is not used. I could see MAYBE along the road if someone tried to ride the trail but common sense should have kicked in to turn around or jump out on the road at this point, not continue to shred the trails. If you re-read my post with the pics, perhaps you may catch some of the sarcasm but at least note that I bailed after the orange loop due to the continued carnage which meant it was not very pleasant to ride at all. I cannot commit to trail days due to my odd work schedule but I at least do my part by abiding by the written and unwritten rules and do not ride the trails when wet or when I know they have been a mess due to heavy rains or the freeze/thaw cycles we have been having this year. I will ride when the trails have dried out enough or are frozen. My biking friends can vouch for that when we are deciding where we should ride.

Mike
Mike_D

Postby ignition16 » February 12th, 2012, 1:32 am

I think their messages were meant for GR XC MTNBKR, not you. He has said many ridiculous things in this thread and others about how he thinks that wrecked trails (as we see them) are good trails, and if you like smooth singletrack you're not a real mountain biker.

In his defense, though, it does seem like he understands that he shouldn't go out and wreck the trails, based on his last post.
ignition16

Postby cramer » February 12th, 2012, 8:10 am

ignition16 wrote:I think their messages were meant for GR XC MTNBKR, not you.

No doubt about it.
cramer

Postby StillBill » February 12th, 2012, 8:34 am

Alright...looks like I both misinterpreted mntn-biker and got him confused with GR XC MTNBKR???

Anyway, hope the whole trail dispute works out.

Bill
StillBill

Postby StillBill » February 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm

I was out Sunday AM for the first time in a couple of months. The trail was nice and frozen after a cold night.
Lots of tire marks on the approach trail and the orange loop. I did all but the yellow, at which point my left pedal crank got loose and feel off...only to find that my allen wrenches weren't in my seat pouch. " Murphy was an optimist."

The frozen trail was fun, even if it was a little bumpy. Can't wait for drier conditions!

Any G.R. city folks who want a short loop, but nice ride, try out the new Ken o sha trail. The upper loop dries up fast, the bottom one not so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FN7hxC0eL8

Bill
StillBill

Postby lancefro » March 4th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Looks like some warmer temps are coming this week. Any guesses if Luton will be rideable by Wednesday afternoon? I don't want to make the drive out there if I'm just going to turn around (or cause more damage).
lancefro

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions