Western: Luton Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Luton Park

Postby dirty29 » August 2nd, 2012, 3:34 pm

Rode last night and the trail is in great shape. The rain has been good to Luton.
dirty29

Postby FredSmith » August 3rd, 2012, 4:08 pm

Agree - trail is in great shape. Cool to see 3 families heading out with kids on bikes as I left. It was hot late morning, hope they brought plenty of water.
FredSmith

Postby kms662 » August 4th, 2012, 10:13 am

dirty29 wrote:Rode last night and the trail is in great shape. The rain has been good to Luton.

Rode this morning. Ditto this comment.
kms662

Postby raymears » August 10th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Does anyone have a good enough feel for the drainage at Luton to predict whether it will be okay to ride tomorrow at 10 AM? I'm guessing it won't be, but thought I'd ask.
raymears

Postby Mike_D » August 10th, 2012, 2:46 pm

raymears wrote:Does anyone have a good enough feel for the drainage at Luton to predict whether it will be okay to ride tomorrow at 10 AM? I'm guessing it won't be, but thought I'd ask.

My guess would be no since we have received 1"-2" of rain in the past 24 hours. Head to Yankee instead. Yankee loves rain. :D
Mike_D

Postby Slimm » August 12th, 2012, 10:00 am

trail was perfect yesterday afternoon. about as good as it gets. be perfect today too prolly

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby aarontriton » September 4th, 2012, 11:28 am

This Trail is a blast. We rode it Sunday. Came to Rockford to ride Merrell trail and decided after riding merrell to check out Luton . I really liked the Black trail and so did my 8 yr old Son!
14 Devinci Carbon Troy
15 Mongoose Vinson fat bike
aarontriton

Postby cbhiii » September 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Luton is getting really soft in spots on the red and yellow trails. A lot of erosion and ruts in spots are interrupting the flow. It's hard to keep a good line at times. And it's a lot less forgiving than it was only a few weeks ago.

Also, watch out for the deer in the orange section just before the ramp. I've seen a pair of young ones hanging out there twice now over the last couple of weeks. :)
MTB: 2012 Giant Talon 29er 0 (hardtail); Mods: CB Candy 3, Maxxis Ardent UST (front), Maxxis Ignitor EXO (rear)
twitter.com/cbhiii
cbhiii

Postby RickPlite » September 29th, 2012, 6:53 am

Just so the everyone knows, the trail coordinators did not remove the log corner on the Red Loop. We didn't dumb down the trail. Someone took it upon themselves to cut it out and make it easier. Even my wife is bummed. When I gave her a pointer a few years ago she nailed it and looked forward to it all the time, but the log also served a purpose. That 90 degree corner is after a fast, slightly downhill stretch, it kept your speed in check because you "knew" what was coming. It is only a matter of time before that corner gets skidded, loose and eventually blown out. :x

Anyone else want to hold a trail day to put another one in its place?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby G.Cook » September 29th, 2012, 4:37 pm

That's to bad. It sure surprised me and I was thinking "next time your mine". Hate those guys, they seem to be at all the trail net works.
G.Cook

Postby the Putti » September 30th, 2012, 5:54 pm

RickPlite wrote:Just so the everyone knows, the trail coordinators did not remove the log corner on the Red Loop. We didn't dumb down the trail. Someone took it upon themselves to cut it out and make it easier. Even my wife is bummed. When I gave her a pointer a few years ago she nailed it and looked forward to it all the time, but the log also served a purpose. That 90 degree corner is after a fast, slightly downhill stretch, it kept your speed in check because you "knew" what was coming. It is only a matter of time before that corner gets skidded, loose and eventually blown out. :x

Anyone else want to hold a trail day to put another one in its place?

I'm in
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby c0nsumer » September 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Rode this for the first time this evening and really enjoyed myself. I found this trail interesting, because having just ridden Merrell before it seemed to be a manually built flow trail, while Merrell was (obviously) the machine-built type. The two are really nice compliments to each other.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Irish57 » October 2nd, 2012, 2:28 pm

Rode Luton for the first time today! WOW!! What a blast! Perfect test for a guy like me who needs to lose 30 more pounds. Another words it was challenging but not overwhelming. Great job to those who designed this trail- I was smiling the whole way through! :D
Irish57

Postby G.Cook » October 2nd, 2012, 7:59 pm

Rode this for the first time this evening and really enjoyed myself. I found this trail interesting, because having just ridden Merrell before it seemed to be a manually built flow trail, while Merrell was (obviously) the machine-built type. The two are really nice compliments to each other.

We did the same thing a couple of weeks back and ,much to my surprise, we both enjoyed Luton just a little bit more then Merrill. Not comparing the two head to head but it was just how two trails road for us. Yeah, they "compliment" each other really well. :D
G.Cook

Postby cramer » October 2nd, 2012, 9:07 pm

G.Cook wrote:

We did the same thing a couple of weeks back and ,much to my surprise, we both enjoyed Luton just a little bit more then Merrill. Not comparing the two head to head but it was just how two trails road for us. Yeah, they "compliment" each other really well. :D

I think it's way too early to know at this point. When Luton was only a month old it had "potential" but wasn't anywhere near what it is today. My experience has been that trails need some time to mature before they reach full potential.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments