Northeast: Pine Haven

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northeast: Pine Haven

Postby mkow1234 » July 13th, 2015, 3:05 pm

I rode at Pine Haven on Sunday afternoon. The trail was dry and beautiful (few tiny muddy spots, but hardly anything). Seen some evidence of a horse rider (probably just one) going on the single track trails. No *beep*, thankfully, but definitely could see divots here and there. I'm not majorly concerned at this point, but that thin sandy topsoil can't take too much abuse. I'll drop another polite note to the Midland County Parks & Rec folks.
mkow1234

Postby mkow1234 » July 27th, 2015, 11:09 am

Did a few loops of the single-track at Pine Haven on afternoon of Sunday, July 26th. Continuing to see evidence of one or two scofflaws riding horses on the single-track. Some small pockets of erosion and divots -- nothing major -- yet. Looked like a few boards were broken or missing on one of the small bridges.
There were about eight horse trailer rigs in the parking lot at the trail-head, and a pile of horse stuff scattered on the ground in the parking lot. Hopefully, it was cleaned up after I left. This is a nice park/trail and is worth keeping that way. Sent a polite email note to Midland County.
mkow1234

Postby mkow1234 » November 2nd, 2015, 3:17 pm

I cleared dozens of branches off the trail on Sunday afternoon.
However, there is a 10-12" diameter tree across the trail near the "nature sanctuary" section of the trail (back near the "lawn" area).
This is in the last half-mile of trail before you get on the two-track return trail.
mkow1234

Postby mkow1234 » November 9th, 2015, 9:58 am

Rode my fat bike at Pine Haven, Friday, late afternoon, and again on Sunday, late afternoon. Trail was leaf-covered, but riding was fair/good.
Cleared some branches from the trail and cleared leaves/debris from some of the bridges and their approaches.
The bridges are in semi-steep ravines, and the leaves/debris, combined with moisture, can make for an unsafe situation.
There is still a downed tree, 12" in diameter, near the end of the singletrack (between the lawn area and the return two-track trail).
Also continuing to see evidence of equestrian activity on the steeper sections of singetrack, in the back forty.
Lots of horse excrement left in the parking lot. Not the end of the world, but there does not seem to be much park oversight/maintenance, and it shows at times.
Still, a great place to ride.
mkow1234

Postby mkow1234 » November 9th, 2015, 3:19 pm

I just received a nice phone call from Midland County Parks. They're removing the fallen tree, near the end of the singletrack.
Although Pine Haven is a County park, the land itself is under the jurisdiction of the state. They're going to reach out to the appropriate bike trail group, to see about increasing the amount of maintenance out there. Anyway, seems like some progress is being made.
mkow1234

Postby mkow1234 » November 17th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Did a loop on Pine Haven on Friday in the late afternoon, and two loops on Monday, in the early afternoon. Rode the Surley Pugsley, which does a good job of mashing down the leaves, making the trail more distinct. Dragged some tree branches off the trail, so it should be smooth rolling for a few days. Saw no hunters -- just a dog-walker, wearing hunter orange vest.
mkow1234

Postby jlrotax583 » November 20th, 2015, 7:24 am

Thanks for the update Mkow.
Might be heading out to PH in the snow Sat.

-Jon
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary and Semi-Official TC Gopher-MMCC/Stubway
jlrotax583

Postby mkow1234 » December 14th, 2015, 10:09 am

I rode Pine Haven a couple of times this past weekend and cleared away windstorm debris.
There was a huge dead apple tree across the trail about a quarter mile in, but I managed to drag it off of the trail.
Good thing the woodpeckers had done most of the work for me... :o
mkow1234

Postby BrokenClavicle » December 21st, 2015, 5:38 pm

Pine Haven is very wet off the short inner two-track. Volunteers are working to clear the leaves and other debris from the single track. Tri-City Cyclists, volunteers and the County of Midland Parks and Recreation are developing a plan to address maintenance and construction of new bridges and re-routing some of the singletrack trails. This week we removed two of the current bridges as they were unsafe.The large bridge on the Girl Scout loop and the small bridge on the inner to outer loop by-pass (the steep drop to the stream) were removed.

Feedback, suggestions, design/structural advice for wooden features, donations of time, materials and labor are happily accepted.
BrokenClavicle

Postby BrokenClavicle » January 3rd, 2016, 6:54 pm

Conditions for FAT BIKING at Pine Haven = Berm Heaven. Many trails with little damage.
BrokenClavicle

Postby mkow1234 » January 7th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Thanks for posting the updates. I've been reporting incidents to the County, as I encounter them, dragging trees off the trail and/or cutting fallen trees and limbs with a hand saw. It will be great to see some trail improvements. For example, the wet area you mentioned, about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile into the singletrack, with the (obsolete?) stunt things that are falling apart. I look forward to seeing improvements to this fun trail! Thanks again!
mkow1234

Postby BrokenClavicle » February 2nd, 2016, 5:58 am

Very icy still. The packed trails have turned to ice sheets. On the plus side an early spring may let us start trail improvements sooner.
BrokenClavicle

Postby BrokenClavicle » February 2nd, 2016, 6:00 am

mkow1234 wrote:Thanks for posting the updates. I've been reporting incidents to the County, as I encounter them, dragging trees off the trail and/or cutting fallen trees and limbs with a hand saw. It will be great to see some trail improvements. For example, the wet area you mentioned, about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile into the singletrack, with the (obsolete?) stunt things that are falling apart. I look forward to seeing improvements to this fun trail! Thanks again!

You're welcome. Trail days will be coming.
BrokenClavicle

Postby BrokenClavicle » February 3rd, 2016, 2:13 pm

Pine Haven is one giant slush field. :cry:
BrokenClavicle

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments