Northeast: Pine Haven

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northeast: Pine Haven

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 29th, 2010, 3:38 pm

is this trail still in service? the last couple posts from last year sound bad, just wondering if anyone has been out there in 2010 and if its worth going the extra distance past Midland Forest
TEAMBAMF

Postby OJTien » April 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm

My brother and I spent a couple hours cleaning a good section today. Raking and removing debris. This trail has a lot of potential but needs some more work and some riders. It has some short downhills and room to grow. If anyone from the area wants to organize a trail day I can bring some help!
OJTien

Postby OJTien » April 21st, 2012, 9:27 am

The swampy area along the freeway has had more logs laid in it, should make it more rideable in bad weather.
OJTien

Postby OJTien » May 3rd, 2012, 6:58 pm

We've raked several more sections of single track and cleared more of the fallen trees. The trail is about 80% rideable, with many of the cross country ski paths completely open and adding to potential riding options. If you can get out and ride the trails, do. They need some more TLC but a lot more tires!
OJTien

Postby OJTien » May 16th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Trail is drying out nicely, and more of the paths have been raked and bushwhacked. A few unrideable swampy sections and a few trees down but a lot of progress has been made! Get out and ride it!
OJTien

Postby turbotoad » July 5th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Rode here on Sunday July 1. Was DRY and hot out. The Mountain Bike "Singletrack" was fun but a bit short and somewhat confusing to follow at points ( would occationally dump out onto main ski trail for short periods). I also rode most of the ski trail system too. Only had to dismount a couple times because of fallen trees. And just as I was pulling into the parking lot some hoarse rideres were entering the trails. There was some *beep* and hoof marks along quite a bit of the main trails :cry:
Todd P.
2012 Titus X
2009 Fuji Reveal
2004 Raleigh Inferno XC
2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX
1995 TREK Y33
TP
http://www.reverbnation.com/toddparkinson
turbotoad

Postby SolarKitty » August 3rd, 2012, 9:45 am

The park service has been out and cleared the downed trees and bush hogged the back trails so no wondering if that was poison ivy brushing your leg. The trails are in good shape but there are a few ruts on the outside double track on the steep downhills. Look before decending.
SolarKitty

Postby jfactor! » January 21st, 2013, 3:26 pm

Anyone been out here recently? I was thinking winter might actually be the best time to ride here.
jfactor!

Postby turbotoad » January 21st, 2013, 5:27 pm

I just drove past there yesterday afternoon on the way home from Traverse City. I was hinking the samething but I didn't have my bike, so I couldn't ride it. I did have my XC ski's but there was not enough snow for that either :x
Todd P.
2012 Titus X
2009 Fuji Reveal
2004 Raleigh Inferno XC
2003 Mountain Cycle SLiX
1995 TREK Y33
TP
http://www.reverbnation.com/toddparkinson
turbotoad

Postby jfactor! » January 22nd, 2013, 12:15 pm

Who maintains this trail? The county? It doesn't appear to be under NMMBA jurisdiction.
jfactor!

Postby TomE. » January 22nd, 2013, 1:19 pm

I have a summer place in Farwell, I rode Pine Haven a few times. I've never seen anyone else out there, and it was always quite wet and muddy unless there was a good drought going on. I don't know who maintains it, but it appears to be maintained by the county since I saw some Midland County signs at the trailhead....I think. It's been a while since I've been there.
TomE.

Postby jfactor! » January 27th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Went for a ride here this morning. First time I've ever been there when it wasn't a sloppy mess. We stuck to the MTB singletrack and only had one tree that we had to lift our bikes over.

We had the place essentially to ourselves There were about 5 XC skiers on the main trail and there had been one person on a fat bike earlier in the morning. We saw his tracks on some of the singletrack including a couple of body prints where he fell. LOL!!!
jfactor!

Postby jfactor! » January 27th, 2013, 8:08 pm

This place has a lot of potential. I remember riding here in the mid-late 90s and it was always busy then. Some TLC would do this place some good.
jfactor!

Postby shoffman » January 27th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I'm sure no one would mind if you put some time into working on the trail......
shoffman

Postby jfactor! » January 27th, 2013, 8:20 pm

shoffman wrote:I'm sure no one would mind if you put some time into working on the trail......

We actually discussed that post-ride. Do you know who to contact to get the go ahead for some maintenence?
jfactor!

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments