Northeast: Pine Haven

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

8/28/05 Technical Trail Condition is Excellent

Postby Steve Rosenberg » August 28th, 2005, 8:55 pm

Rode the technical trail today - 8/28/05. Conditions were excellent. Had not ridden here in 2 years. It is clear there has been a fair amount of trail work since that time. No mud today and nothing blocking the trail other than intended obstacles. It appears I had the technical trail to myself. Have to come back more.
Steve Rosenberg

Postby DF Bernard » May 28th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Too hot and too wet to ride today, so I spent about three hours working on the trail.

Raked and cleared debris from the first half of the singletrack, as well as pruning low branches and overgrowth.

The swampy area along the expressway is simply far too sloppy to ride, even with the mini-bridges in place. What this section really needs is a 50 meter length of elevated boardwalk. I know this is a fun, technical section when dry, but for much of the riding season it's just not dry. I am in contact with a boy scout looking for Eagle Scout ideas; maybe he'll be interested in this project. If done right, it would be very cool to ride. This would also free up the mini-bridges for use in other low areas.

Speaking of which, I did a short re-route near the triple-switchback area that is also regularly wet. Hopefully, when ridden a bit, it will be a decent substitution.

Personally, I think that much of the trail is still far too wet ride and should be avoided. If you do ride, please go right through the slop - not around!

I'll probably head back tomorrow to finish raking and pruning.

Ride on!

~D
Daryl Bernard
Trail Coordinator - Pine Haven Recreation Area

Keep singletrack SINGLE - don't ride wide!
DF Bernard

Postby Rattler » June 4th, 2006, 10:06 pm

The wife and I rode a few of the easy and moderate trails today. Not bad but the section out by the highway is still muddy some but not bad.

Had to dodge some horse poo too.
You boys up from the Iron League? Lots fights?
Rattler

Postby DF Bernard » June 9th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Disappointing. The trail is not shaping up very well this year. PH always takes a long time to dry out, but this is the worst I've seen in the past few years. Still lots of very mucky areas.

I'm heading back out tomorrow to do some more raking/pruning/whacking, but there's not much I can do about the mud and muck.

To make matters worse, it seems the county has done nothing with regards to maintaining the ski trals - they are very overgrown, rutted with washouts, littered with large and small limbs/sticks/branches...etc.

And the boy scout interested in the Eagle Project still has not gotten back with me about the bridge near the expressway.

Ride on!

~D
Daryl Bernard
Trail Coordinator - Pine Haven Recreation Area

Keep singletrack SINGLE - don't ride wide!
DF Bernard

Pine Haven

Postby Jake168 » August 22nd, 2006, 5:21 pm

Has anyone been out there lately? Is it still muddy? Thinking of checking it out tommorow. Jake168 (8-22-06)
Jake168

Postby Rattler » August 22nd, 2006, 6:13 pm

The wife and I were thinking about heading out there soon too. Not quite sure when. Maybe later tomorrow afternoon if she doesn't have much work (I'm off!! Yea).

I may postpone the trip until Sunday. It depends if my mech has my Franken-bike ready by then. He should let me know tomorrow.
You boys up from the Iron League? Lots fights?
Rattler

Postby chris_werth » September 20th, 2006, 7:24 am

How is the trail looking for the 30 miles of Pain ?
chris_werth

Postby rmtaylorIII » March 31st, 2007, 9:37 pm

Mud. Don't ride too much. Very soft. Fell once.
rmtaylorIII

Postby buccilli15 » April 2nd, 2007, 8:38 am

Went out yesterday. Muddy areas, not too bad. I rode about 3/4's of the single track (avoided the area by e-way), and some of the other areas..
buccilli15

Postby urbanassault » July 7th, 2007, 9:42 pm

The trail is dry and in good condition. There's a couple of areas where the horses did some damage when the trail was soft. A good ride overall.
urbanassault

Postby Snowybunting » December 20th, 2007, 9:37 am

On my way from Farwell back to Detroit area, I stopped by to see where this trail was for future reference. Easy enough to find off of 10, but the trailhead sign said it was closed to mountain biking during xc-ski season. I hope to be able to give a report in the spring/summer since it doesn't appear to get a lot of traffic.
Snowybunting

Re: Northeast: Pine Haven

Postby JAKEHAERTEL » June 24th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Went out yesterday morning. Trails were very wet and very muddy. The holes and pits from the mud are more severe than I remember, having not ridden there in a while.

Let it dry... it was terrible.
JAKEHAERTEL

Postby shoffman » June 25th, 2009, 2:12 pm

JAKEHAERTEL wrote:Went out yesterday morning. Trails were very wet and very muddy. The holes and pits from the mud are more severe than I remember, having not ridden there in a while.

Let it dry... it was terrible.

With all the recent rain, the best local trail I can recommend is the Mid Michigan Community College trail in Harrison. It's on high ground and has handled all the rain this year with no issues...
shoffman

Postby atolwin » July 6th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Rode Pine Haven yesterday. It was the first time and it is clear that familiarity with a trail makes a difference. But this trail is not kept up and is quite overgrown. In places it is hard to find the trail. There are several unjumpable trees down in very strategic spots that point to injury. In addition, it is known that this trail is always very moist and riding it is hard for us who are squeemish about rutting the trail.

In short, not worth the effort to get there, but with work, it could be a serious ride.
atolwin

Postby shoffman » September 9th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Rode the Pine Haven course last week.... it's in great shape. All the recent deadfall has been removed and the trail is dry and fast!
shoffman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments