Western: Owasippe

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Owasippe

Postby Owasippe Chief » October 31st, 2014, 5:26 pm

The Owasippe Trails are closed for Hunting November 1, 2014 to January 1, 2015
Owasippe Chief

Postby SteveF » January 29th, 2015, 11:52 am

How's the fat biking at Owasippe this year?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby rvanthul » September 2nd, 2015, 1:10 pm

Rode Owasippe this past weekend and found it to be in awesome shape! :D Having ridden it now for the first time in several years (green, blue, black), I must say this has to be one of the best trails in west Michigan, by far! Thanks to all who helped secure its availability to riders and helped with trail building and maintenance.
rvanthul

Postby sisu » September 3rd, 2015, 5:10 am

How easy is it to find your way around? Well marked?
sisu
Administrator

Postby bleve » September 3rd, 2015, 1:32 pm

sisu wrote:How easy is it to find your way around? Well marked?

There's a trail map at almost all intersections so no problems. Only one place near the end of the black before it meets back up with the blue - there's a bridge to cross and a couple intersecting trails that it's a little confusing, but I think they all eventually get to the same spot, just follow what appears to be the natural flow and heaviest use. Trail was in great shape last week and it's probably the most scenic trail in the lower peninsula.
bleve

Postby Owasippe Chief » October 15th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Reminder the Michigan's Edge Challenge is a MTB race at Owasippe to be held Saturday October 24th. This is a fundraiser for Michigan's Edge Mountain Biking Association (MEMBA), an IMBA Chapter that grew out of the WMMBA to focus on trails along the lakeshore "EDGE" of Michigan.

More Info:
http://www.michiganedgechallenge.com/

Online Registration:
https://www.racemine.com/Igniteyoureven ... -Challenge

Race Promoter
http://www.igniteyourevent.com/
Owasippe Chief

Postby spartan_msu » October 16th, 2015, 9:08 am

Bummer, I can't make the race, but I am hoping to ride tomorrow morning.
spartan_msu

Postby c0nsumer » April 17th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Finally rode here today, doing a full outer loop then whatever the short loop is on the west that includes a bunch of service road. That's a pretty nifty trail... Really, really fun XC riding in beautiful terrain.

Easy to find the way, and that exposed section was exciting. Couple of those hills are seriously steep for being built on sand, I can't imagine they'd hold up to a lot of use.

Makes me wonder if this is what some of the old school trails like Poto, Pontiac Lake, Yankee, and Island Lake were like when MTBs first came on the scene.
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mtb_frk » May 6th, 2016, 6:46 pm

I rode the trail today it was the first in time probably 10 years. It was in great shape, and is still one my favorite trails in the state.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby xcrdr » May 6th, 2016, 8:47 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Finally rode here today, doing a full outer loop then whatever the short loop is on the west that includes a bunch of service road. That's a pretty nifty trail... Really, really fun XC riding in beautiful terrain.

Easy to find the way, and that exposed section was exciting. Couple of those hills are seriously steep for being built on sand, I can't imagine they'd hold up to a lot of use.

Makes me wonder if this is what some of the old school trails like Poto, Pontiac Lake, Yankee, and Island Lake were like when MTBs first came on the scene.

I'll find out in a month. I've ridden all of those trails back in the day. Makes me appreciate modern trail design.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fatboy Expert

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby RickPlite » May 7th, 2016, 7:22 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Finally rode here today, doing a full outer loop then whatever the short loop is on the west that includes a bunch of service road. That's a pretty nifty trail... Really, really fun XC riding in beautiful terrain.

yes, all the fall line trails are the original sections and are slowly being eliminated. Gotta love the views of the lakes, one of my favorite fall rides, great color. How did you like the "bridges"
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby c0nsumer » May 7th, 2016, 9:56 pm

RickPlite wrote:yes, all the fall line trails are the original sections and are slowly being eliminated. Gotta love the views of the lakes, one of my favorite fall rides, great color. How did you like the "bridges"

I wish I could ride there more often.

Bridges... I think we missed that part. :( We did what I thought was a full outer loop, always staying left...

http://ooec.org/assets/Owasippe_Bike_Tr ... 150102.pdf

Sounds like the bridges are between 3 and 5? That's the only part we didn't do... #1-5 wasn't too keen, but everything else... Quite a treat!
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments