Western: Owasippe

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Owasippe

Postby yukonjack » August 21st, 2012, 7:36 am

Man am I ever happy we can ride here again. I just love this trail.

I made it over there Saturday and love the new start from the ball diamond. It makes much more sense then riding off down the edge of the road looking for a trail. I will say however, I saw more bikes heading out in the wrong direction then those that followed the planned route. I can't believe it's needed but is there anyway to add a "do not enter, wrong way" sign at the beginning just after the split where you start?
yukonjack

Postby rideondirt » August 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Looks like they added a sign indicating direction to ride trail.

Was out there Saturday evening and enjoyed a nice ride. Gotta get out there as much as possible to break in those new sections of trail!
rideondirt

Postby msugrad96 » September 4th, 2012, 7:28 am

Wow. Went out yesterday with a buddy and rode the trail for the first time this year and it's in great shape, just a little sandy at the bottom of the hills. Thanks to all of the volunteers that put so much time out there. The elevation changes are extremely challenging and the down hills are intense. We got mis-directed a couple of times by not knowing the trail too well and looking for signs, but it only added to the challenge of back tracking a little bit across some bridges. Need to get out there at least one more time before it closes up.
msugrad96

Postby gtrowbridge » September 10th, 2012, 8:17 am

Rode all of it yesterday.
Been a while.
The new signs and maps are really nice. Well done.
Nice new kiosk too.
Little bit of sand at the bottom of some hills but not too bad.
The worst of it was on the advanced black loop. That poor trail seems to have water channeling issues that are moving some sand to the bottom and carving out some portions of the hills. Luckily there looks to be the most opportunity in this area to improve the situation.
I'm sure the trail crews are on this already as its the most fun part to ride as well.
The improvements continue to add up each time I get over there to ride it.
Always worth the trip.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Owasippe Chief » September 15th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Next up on the trail building project at Owasippe is to build new single-track in the Vigil Cove/Whisper Lake area east of the dam (our plan was just approved today by the CAC/OOEC!). This will eliminate having to ride the sandy two-track. Both the 8 mile & 11 mile loops share this section. Then we will attack the problem "fall-line" erosion on the advanced 11 mile "black" loop.
Owasippe Chief

Postby gtrowbridge » April 12th, 2013, 8:09 am

Anybody got a trail update?
Are these trails open all year round now except for scout season?
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Owasippe Chief » April 18th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Yes Owasippe is open until the Boy Scout summer season begins around the 2nd Saturday in June. Conditions were good even with the recent heavy rains. No mud problems at Owasippe! More info is at www.ooec.org/trails/ or on Facebook (Owasippe Trail - MEMBA)
Owasippe Chief

Postby Bigtymer » April 19th, 2013, 6:33 am

Owasippe Chief wrote:Yes Owasippe is open until the Boy Scout summer season begins around the 2nd Saturday in June. Conditions were good even with the recent heavy rains. No mud problems at Owasippe! More info is at http://www.ooec.org/trails/ or on Facebook (Owasippe Trail - MEMBA)

Thanks to all who made it possible to ride this trail system. I haven't to MI in almost three years, and I plan on riding this trail when I'm home in June:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby SteveF » April 26th, 2013, 9:58 am

Planning a ride for the 2nd weekend of June--is Saturday, June 8th the last day it is open to bikes or the first day that it is closed to bikes?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Bigtymer » April 28th, 2013, 10:10 am

Can someone tell me how Owasippe has changed since the old trail system of the red and the blue. Has the trail system completely changed? Is some of it still the same old trails? I see the starting point across Russell road is no longer apart of the trail system anymore:(
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby rideondirt » May 6th, 2013, 7:45 am

I am not the expert on Owasippe, but this is my understanding . . .
The section of trail across from Russell Road is off limits for now, that section of land is for sale and may not be available and so the MEMBA (newly formed Michigan's Edge Mountain Bike Association--lakeshore trails for Musk/Ottawa county) group has decided to continue trail building and planning with out it.

MEMBA has built a new 2.3 mile section of trail that weaves around whisper lake, this new section is about 1-2 miles in. It's a really great addition to the trail system. The rest of the Blue and Red loops (excluding the section across Russell Rd.) are nearly the same as they had been in the past with the exception of that last steep switch-back after the second bridge--trail was rerouted to prevent erosion and to provide a more sustainable trail section.

Currently there are 3 loop options:
Green: 4 miles
Blue: 7.5-8
Black: 11 miles
Maps are here: http://ooec.org/assets/Owasippe_Bike_Tr ... 120818.pdf
(I don't believe this map includes the new Whisper Lake trail section)

MEMBA Owasippe FB Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Owasippe ... 510?ref=hl
rideondirt

Postby Bigtymer » May 6th, 2013, 12:31 pm

rideondirt wrote:I am not the expert on Owasippe, but this is my understanding . . .
The section of trail across from Russell Road is off limits for now, that section of land is for sale and may not be available and so the MEMBA (newly formed Michigan's Edge Mountain Bike Association--lakeshore trails for Musk/Ottawa county) group has decided to continue trail building and planning with out it.

MEMBA has built a new 2.3 mile section of trail that weaves around whisper lake, this new section is about 1-2 miles in. It's a really great addition to the trail system. The rest of the Blue and Red loops (excluding the section across Russell Rd.) are nearly the same as they had been in the past with the exception of that last steep switch-back after the second bridge--trail was rerouted to prevent erosion and to provide a more sustainable trail section.

Currently there are 3 loop options:
Green: 4 miles
Blue: 7.5-8
Black: 11 miles
Maps are here: http://ooec.org/assets/Owasippe_Bike_Tr ... 120818.pdf

(I don't believe this map includes the new Whisper Lake trail section)

MEMBA Owasippe FB Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Owasippe ... 510?ref=hl

Hey thanks so much for clarifying this for me. I grew up hiking and biking this trail for many years. Good to know some of those memories will be the same when I return in June. Thanks again!:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby SteveF » June 6th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Planning to ride here this saturday-hope it's still open! Can anyone confirm or deny?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby gtrowbridge » June 6th, 2013, 8:11 pm

From the ooec.org website :

Trails are open from the third Saturday in August through the second Saturday in June. All trails are closed for the month of November for hunting safety. All trails are open from dawn until dusk.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » June 6th, 2013, 8:14 pm

So looks like this Saturday is last day. :sad:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments