Western: Owasippe

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Owasippe

Postby football44 » May 19th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Rode all the loops today. Sweet trail. Among the top 5 Michigan trails in my opinion. Ended up riding the long loop counter clockwise because I missed the turn. Didnt see the arrow at the bottom of the new sign before the two bridges. I didnt really need a map. The signs were adequate and well
football44

Postby football44 » May 19th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Rode all the loops today. Sweet trail. Among the top 5 Michigan trails in my opinion. Ended up riding the long loop counter clockwise because I missed the turn. Didnt see the arrow at the bottom of the new sign before the two bridges. I didnt really need a map. The signs were adequate and well placed. I followed tire tracks when things got a bit confusing. There are definitely some fun swoopy downhill sections. Beautiful lakeside riding. Very remote feeling at times.
football44

Postby irishpitbull » May 19th, 2012, 7:39 pm

football44 wrote:Rode all the loops today. Sweet trail. Among the top 5 Michigan trails in my opinion. Ended up riding the long loop counter clockwise because I missed the turn. Didnt see the arrow at the bottom of the new sign before the two bridges. I didnt really need a map. The signs were adequate and well placed. I followed tire tracks when things got a bit confusing. There are definitely some fun swoopy downhill sections. Beautiful lakeside riding. Very remote feeling at times.

Thanks for the update, sounds like something I need to hit.
2014 S-Works Epic
2014 Yeti ARC-C
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
irishpitbull

Postby AllMountin' » May 26th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Trail was prime today, save the loose, sandy bits. Thanks to the gentleman who gave me his map and gave me the rundown on trail routing. I found everything pretty well marked, and just followed the red 'S'. The only place I faltered was at the loop exit, and started to run a reverse loop on accident.

I love how much narrow bench there is on the side slopes. Reminds me a bit of my favorite parts of NCT and Mohican.

Paid my fee in the maintenance shop, as nobody was home at the admin.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Bigtymer » May 27th, 2012, 6:40 am

I'm really sad they sold the land North of the road. It was some of my favorite singletrack at Owasippe, over the last ten years. bummer:(
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby pharus » May 31st, 2012, 3:04 pm

Mark H. wrote:Good going!! Thanks for getting this trail back in shape so we can ride it.
Trail map
http://ooec.org/assets/Owasippe_Bike_Tr ... 20502w.pdf

Going to ride this coming Sunday for the first time. And the map in the link above is much better than the one on the MMBA Trail page. Hoping to not get lost and eaten alive!
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby kms662 » May 31st, 2012, 5:49 pm

Rode yesterday and Memorial Day. Trail is in great shape. First time riding this trail. Beautiful scenery, quite a bit of climbing.
kms662

Western: Owasippe

Postby Bento » June 1st, 2012, 5:20 am

Does anyone have a contact for the pass necessary to ride? I paid for a season pass with PayPal, but haven't received any word back. I tried using the http://ooec.org/contact-us/ with no luck.
Bento

Postby gtrowbridge » June 4th, 2012, 9:54 am

Rode Saturday. Even after the rail the trail was in great shape. The sandy nature of it much like Yankee in that it can take the water in stride.
Did the big 10 mile loop (aka blue). Very different from the shorter loop (aka red). Some really sweet views. One part is right along a cliff side that I had no idea existed out there. Don't fall. There is no getting back up. Really narrow tread there too. Reminded me of the cliff side trail at Versailles in Indiana but not quite as high or wide. Good stuff.
Clocked 12 miles instead of the 10 riding the big loop.

Had a bit of trouble with the signs and ended up on too much two track and gravel road toward the end. In talking to the TC Randy it looks like we were paralleling the single track. Bummer. I guess we missed some good stuff. Next time. I'm sure signage will be improving over the years as more and more trail is added in.

It was also interesting that it seemed where ever we stopped and said to ourselves it looks like the trail should be rerouted that way for more climbing/downhill/turns/scenery, that those places were already on Randy's map of suggested reroutes. In fact it looked like his map was about 75% reroutes to add in more trail!

My prediction is this could be the next IMBA Epic trail in MI. Might be 5 years from now but I can see there is so much here its a definite possibility.

This was worth the trip to get there.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby SteveF » June 4th, 2012, 10:51 am

The trail is still open to bikes this weekend, right? Last chance before fall?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby gtrowbridge » June 4th, 2012, 12:37 pm

SteveF wrote:The trail is still open to bikes this weekend, right? Last chance before fall?

Yes I believe so.
In fact rumor has it there is a group ride there this weekend.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby SteveF » June 4th, 2012, 1:14 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:
SteveF wrote:The trail is still open to bikes this weekend, right? Last chance before fall?

Yes I believe so.
In fact rumor has it there is a group ride there this weekend.

Hey, George! Thanks, I like that rumor. I wonder where/how I can confirm it? I already posted in the west chapter forum. I don't have facebook or I'd check there...
SteveF

Postby Owasippe Chief » June 5th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Owasippe closes temporarily for the summer Boy Scout season after the 2nd Saturday in June. This year the trails will close Saturday June 9th at dusk and will reopen in mid August. More Trail info, maps, plus on-line vehicle pass purchasing (Daily or Annual) are available at :arrow: www.ooec.org/trails/
Annual passes are good through the calendar year 2012.
Owasippe Chief

Postby SteveF » June 6th, 2012, 7:45 am

Owasippe Chief wrote:Owasippe closes temporarily for the summer Boy Scout season after the 2nd Saturday in June. This year the trails will close Saturday June 9th at dusk and will reopen in mid August. More Trail info, maps, plus on-line vehicle pass purchasing (Daily or Annual) are available at :arrow: http://www.ooec.org/trails/
Annual passes are good through the calendar year 2012.

Thanks for the link and close date confirmation! We'll definitely be done riding before dusk.

Looking at the trail map, it appears that the "long loop," is basically the medium loop with a couple of miles of the old blue loop included (in the lower right quadrant)--that seem right?
SteveF

Postby Owasippe Chief » June 6th, 2012, 11:25 am

Yes the long loop is the medium loop with a connector to the "Old" Blue Trail. This loop is almost the same as the Time-Trial course that Tailwind used in 2007 & 2008. This week we are finishing up some new single-track which will become the start of all three loops. This will eliminate a two-track and sandy steep downhill. This new section will be ridable and hopefully marked for Saturday's riding. :lol:
Owasippe Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments