Western: Owasippe

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Owasippe

Postby yukonjack » May 1st, 2012, 7:32 am

If someone gets in a ride before the weekend...could you please post the mileage that is available to ride? My understanding is that only some of the trail will be open for starters. Thx in advance!
yukonjack

Postby raymears » May 2nd, 2012, 5:48 pm

purple helmet wrote:Any more info on the trail opening? Specifically, the dates our $60 will get us?

http://ooec.org/trails/
Trails are open from the third Saturday in August through the second Saturday in June. All trails are closed for the month of November for hunting safety. All trails are open from dawn until dusk.

It says there are 22 miles of trails and says to check the trail map - does anyone have a link to a trail map online?
raymears

Postby yukonjack » May 2nd, 2012, 6:28 pm

It says online that it reopened May 1st.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/inde ... eturn.html
yukonjack

Postby Bigtymer » May 3rd, 2012, 3:07 pm

Let the good times roll:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Wired29 » May 3rd, 2012, 3:40 pm

Will it stil be open during camp? Scout camp starts the first week of June.
Wired29

Postby Wired29 » May 3rd, 2012, 3:46 pm

Sorry I should have read the article first. "Saturday in August through the second Saturday in June."
Wired29

Postby Mark H. » May 4th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Good going!! Thanks for getting this trail back in shape so we can ride it.
Trail map
http://ooec.org/assets/Owasippe_Bike_Tr ... 20502w.pdf
Mark H.

Postby Bigtymer » May 5th, 2012, 8:51 am

Yes, thank you so much. This place is very special too me as an Eagle Scout and as a mountain biker. Thanks again for all the efforts of reopening this trail. This trail has closed and reopened so many times through out the years, but it's efforts by a small few that keep it reopening again and again:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby SteveF » May 8th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I'm looking forward to riding there again--anyone know if the updated signage mentioned in that article has been installed yet? (with my sense of direction I'll need it!)
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Mark H. » May 9th, 2012, 1:50 pm

No new signs out there. Just got back from there, if I didn't know the place like I do, I would of missed some turns that you need to make, & the sign @ the begining @ the back of the old baseball field has a bike with a line through it & says NO BIKES. I had a ball, forgot all the nice hills out there (fun)
Mark H.

Postby Bigtymer » May 10th, 2012, 7:37 am

Mark, let's just hope those awful no biking signs go away. For awhile ( a couple years back) there were signs in the parking lot that said No Bikeing. lol I guess someone forgot to use spell check when making those signs :D
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby yukonjack » May 11th, 2012, 3:43 pm

As of today...no signs. I agree with the prior post that knowing the area is very important until the trail is properly posted.
I rode clockwise which meant I finished at the ball diamond. Am I riding the wrong direction or is the trail non-directional? I saw a few others that also rode clockwise.
I also need to toss out a quick "great job" on the trail layout as well as getting the trail opened back up for us! It's great to be back riding the "O"!
yukonjack

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 14th, 2012, 5:34 pm

I am thinking about riding on Wednesday morning. The trail is open and ride-able correct?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby football44 » May 17th, 2012, 11:42 am

Now that the signs are up, will I need a map? Planning on riding Saturday morning.
football44

Postby cramer » May 17th, 2012, 4:34 pm

football44 wrote:Now that the signs are up, will I need a map? Planning on riding Saturday morning.

I would bring a map and plan to get a little lost unless you know the trail system. The good news is you will find your way out eventually and have a great ride while exploring. The trail, woods, natural beauty out there are incredible. The new signs are those brown "carsonite"(sp?) signs that are stuck in the ground with arrows. Make sure you follow those and not the older signs. The problem out there is that you have a bunch of different sign types from different eras along with trails that criss-cross each other and also connector trails between various loops.

The new signs are nice but they don't show any colors on them so when you get to an intersection where the one loop crosses another you see the same exact sign type pointing in two different directions. Also, the "connector" trails that go in between the various loops will always be a source of confusion I think. It's just a funky confusing layout so mapping / signing it is more challenging than other trails. I rode it on Wed. and pointed out the areas that I thought were confusing to my friend who happens to be helping out with putting the new signs up so hopefully they will clarify a couple of those areas soon.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments