Western: Owasippe

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Owasippe

Postby RickPlite » August 19th, 2010, 10:55 am

jrshome wrote:
RickPlite wrote:
If the MMBA would approach this a little differently, like say teaching the Cycling merit badge and help getting a Mountain Bike program up and running during Summer Camp(maybe a donation of some older MB's that people have laying around so the boys can ride the trails), I think the camp would take a very different view of Mountain biking. If it is not part of the Scout Program, then they have no long term interest in keeping this trial up and running. I think we should be pushing that all the Boy Scout summer camps in the state have a Mountain bike program, hook these outdoor oriented kids early, you will see a lot camps trails open up. Just my two cents worth....

excellent idea, could you help with this?

Rick, I am all for doing anything to try and get the MMBA and the BSA talking about Mountain Biking. If you would like to take this offline, feel free to PM me. This camp though, specifically is out of my range of contacts. I don't know anyone in the Chicago Area Council and I live on the Detroit Area. If it was the Great Lakes Council, I would know who to call to make an offer. What I can tell you though, is how to make the pitch. I think we are pitching this as, what can we do to keep this trail open for US to ride. The Boy Scouts don't give a *beep* about US. We need to make this about some Mountain Bike Program that we can do for them, that results in US also being able to use the trails. All these camps are fighting for the ability to stay open and provide a program that will draw troops into them, maybe to big a time commitment for us, but if you could come up with a great program for them to run during summer camp, that was a draw to bring scouts in. That would be what would really matters to them.

Case in point is camp D-BAR-A on the east side. They have a whole horse riding program that draws people in as a destination. If Owasippe, could become a scout biking destination with the help of the MMBA and this brought in troops all summer and fall, that would be something they would be interested in.

jrshome- Nate Phelps, MMBA Pres is communicating with them. I like your idea for sure.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby trout_smith » August 24th, 2010, 11:21 am

The idea about working with them on badge completion is great.

Does anyone know if they have a badge for trailblazing or something similar? We could incorporate sustainable trail building techniques. The scouts themselves could create re-routes during the summer.

If that all sounds too crazy - I don't know much about scouting. Just throwing some ideas out there. And I'm willing to help!
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby cramer » August 24th, 2010, 11:34 am

trout_smith wrote:The idea about working with them on badge completion is great.

Does anyone know if they have a badge for trailblazing or something similar? We could incorporate sustainable trail building techniques. The scouts themselves could create re-routes during the summer.

If that all sounds too crazy - I don't know much about scouting. Just throwing some ideas out there. And I'm willing to help!

I think that is a great idea.
cramer

Postby blamp28 » August 24th, 2010, 11:38 am

That's is a good idea. When my step-son was in scouts, I was a merit badge counselor for the cycling badge and had 9 scouts complete it the year we did it. Unfortunately, that does not cover any off road training or land use responsibilities though it would be a worthy addition to their programs since they have trail systems at most or all of their camps.

There is a bit of sustainability in the Forestry Badge requirements and perhaps someone that is still involved in the BSA could lead in that direction. The requirements are here: http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts ... restry.asp
blamp28

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » August 30th, 2010, 8:34 pm

OK, so....merit badges aside, is Owasippe going to be open on Labor Day weekend or not?
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby trout_smith » August 30th, 2010, 8:47 pm

2WheeledWarrior wrote:OK, so....merit badges aside, is Owasippe going to be open on Labor Day weekend or not?

Owasippe singletrack is closed until further notice.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby 2WheeledWarrior » August 31st, 2010, 8:47 am

trout_smith wrote:
2WheeledWarrior wrote:OK, so....merit badges aside, is Owasippe going to be open on Labor Day weekend or not?

Owasippe singletrack is closed until further notice.

Oh, what the $&*#!!! What the heck are you doing over there, Eric? Get that place open, man!
The Motion Initiative
Believers On Mountain Bikes, International
-Our love must be genuine. Hate what is evil, cling to what is good. (Romans 12:9)
2WheeledWarrior

Postby jrshome » August 31st, 2010, 9:06 am

trout_smith wrote:The idea about working with them on badge completion is great.

I don't think they have a trail blazing merit badge, but they do have a hiking one and do trail maintenance as part of service projects. For advancement to most ranks the scouts need to have service hours. I know that I have my older boy doing trail days as for some of his service hours. Also, some larger trail projects would make a great Eagle Scout project. All this aside, someone needs to convince the Chicago Area Council that have bikes out their is an asset to the camp, teaching trail maintenance to boys maybe another avenue to accomplish that goal.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Mark H. » October 22nd, 2010, 5:58 pm

Is there any news on Owasippe? I know the riding sesson is allmost over, but it would be great to ride this trail in the spring.
Mark H.

Postby Bigtymer » December 13th, 2010, 1:32 pm

I hope this trail reopens this spring. It has such good flow.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby blamp28 » December 13th, 2010, 1:46 pm

I read in West Michigan Coast Riders newsletter that there are some dedicated people working on this issue still including MMBA oficers.
blamp28

Postby Bigtymer » January 7th, 2011, 10:23 am

Anyone hear of any progress about the trail?
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Bigtymer » April 9th, 2011, 9:23 am

Can this trail just be taking off the mmba website and wmmba website? Its misleading to people just getting into mtn biking and those that make the mistake of driving to Whitehall. There use to be a function on the website that told trail users if the trail was open or closed. Owasippe, what a waste :evil:
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby stritz » April 28th, 2011, 7:49 am

What is the deal with Owasippe? The last time I drover there was fall 2009 and they would not let me on the trail. This was one of my favorite trails in Michigan and only about 1 hour from Grand Rapids. What can be done to get it open to mountain biking again?
stritz

Postby jpjones » May 25th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Any news on Owasippe? I'll be camping 30 minutes from there in mid-June and I'd love to ride the trails if they're open...
jpjones

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions