Western: Owasippe

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Western: Owasippe

Postby Todd Scott » March 29th, 2004, 10:59 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Owassippe
Todd Scott

Postby nate.phelps » March 30th, 2004, 6:01 am

Trail was in great shape Saturday. Couple of downs that are easily rideable and a couple of mud holes. The bridges were all dry, although one is getting too weak to ride. Just doesn't feel safe.
Should continue to be in great shape as it drys quickly.
nate.phelps

Postby dew » August 19th, 2004, 9:51 pm

Is this now open? It is past Aug 15, but this trailguide says "closed".
dew

Postby Todd Scott » August 19th, 2004, 10:05 pm

Sorry about the confusion. It should now read "open".
Todd Scott

Nice Trail

Postby marin94 » August 29th, 2004, 7:44 pm

I am always looking for new trails and so I tried Owasippe today and it is a pretty nice trail. It was in great shape other than a few downed trees, but overall very nice. The only problem I had was the confusing markings and the lack of maps. I guess there are 4 different colors but I dont know what they mean so I got lost many times. I tried to follow the red loop that you start on, but found out that you have to also go on the white and yellow or even the blue to get back to the lot. The parking lot sign doesnt say anything about mileage and the map is so confusing that you cant really understand it. I had fun while I was riding but got very frustrated when I had to back-track over and over to find the trail. Also the little signs on the trees go both ways down the trail, so you dont know if you are going the right direction. If you havent ridden here before make sure you have plenty of time to wander around and bring a compass.
If it doesnt hurt, your going too slow!
marin94

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 17th, 2004, 10:07 am

Does anyone no if Owasipee is still open to riding, or also closed for hunting?? Thanks
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Dan_Harrison » September 17th, 2004, 10:53 am

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Does anyone no if Owasipee is still open to riding, or also closed for hunting?? Thanks

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Owassipe:

http://www.chicagobsa.org/forms/ldrs_manual_04.pdf

On Page 38:
"Rifles, Ammo, Fireworks, Bows & Arrows
• No firearms, ammunition, fireworks or bow and arrow of any kind may be kept in the possession of any camper or Unit Leader.
• Camp insurance does not allow the use of personal weapons (including paintball guns) or ammunition on Council property. There are no exceptions to this rule."

I think that the "Hunting" icon in the MMBA Trail Guide *may* be in error. Ride, but wear Orange.
:wink:
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 17th, 2004, 11:07 am

Dan_Harrison wrote:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:Does anyone no if Owasipee is still open to riding, or also closed for hunting?? Thanks

On Page 38:
• No firearms, ammunition, fireworks or bow and arrow of any kind may be kept in the possession of any camper or Unit Leader.
• Camp insurance does not allow the use of personal weapons (including paintball guns) or ammunition on Council property. There are no exceptions to this rule."

I think that the "Hunting" icon in the MMBA Trail Guide *may* be in error. Ride, but wear Orange.
Dan

Thanks Dan, I do have an orange jersey fortunatly, But I dont want to pay $6 if im going to get shot at... :) I did think it kind of odd that they would allow hunting though, so your probably right.. :) 8)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby ChrisKring » September 17th, 2004, 10:17 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
Dan_Harrison wrote:

On Page 38:

Dan

Thanks Dan, I do have an orange jersey fortunatly, But I dont want to pay $6 if im going to get shot at... :) I did think it kind of odd that they would allow hunting though, so your probably right.. :) 8)

Gun hunting doesn't start until Nov. 15th. Owasipee is open until October 31st.
ChrisKring

Trail open/conditions

Postby MuGuGuy » September 25th, 2004, 12:12 pm

Just came back from a ride at Owasippe (9/25) and I guess it's going to be open in Oct. from 10am-4pm (might want to double-check that). Anyway, it was awfully sandy and overgrown in some sections, but there were some great parts too. If you head out on the red trail, take the high road--the low road was blocked by a bunch of downed trees (intentionally) because it gets a bit too murky.

Good, fun ride. Enjoy it while it's open. Pay your fees ($5) and get a permit.
MuGuGuy

Owossippi Closed until the end of November

Postby blamp28 » October 2nd, 2004, 5:36 pm

Went to Owossippi today only to be told that it will be shut down until the end of November for Hunting. I asked about the 10-4 biker hours (I was there at 12:00) and was told that this year it would be shut down completely. Anyone else heard anything?
blamp28

reopening owassipe

Postby seether » November 29th, 2004, 10:49 am

anybody know when owassipe officially reopens? we were thinkning of heading out there on saturday (December 4th)
If you wish to study a granfalloon, just remove the skin of a toy balloon.—Bokonon
seether

Re: reopening owassipe

Postby ChrisKring » November 29th, 2004, 12:03 pm

redherring wrote:anybody know when owassipe officially reopens? we were thinkning of heading out there on saturday (December 4th)

Every other year it hasn't reopened until January 2nd. Give the ranger's office a call.
ChrisKring

Postby mtbyker » December 10th, 2004, 5:46 pm

I called the number information gave me and wasn't able to talk to a Ranger. Anyone been out there lately??
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby bit » December 11th, 2004, 9:56 am

They have a website. You might try there for info.
MBM
bit

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments