Western: Robinette's

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Robinette's

Postby shoe » October 23rd, 2010, 1:25 pm

Trail day today was a total success. Thanks to several MMBA members and several Gazelle trail runners who all took initiative and tools and took off on their own to work in several different directions, and nobody bailed when it started raining.
-The downhill that scares everybody now has an optional ride-around trail section.
-Several of the deeper ruts have been filled. That ground will be a bit soft until it gets run in but the ruts are gone.
-Every bit of the trail has been raked or leaf-blown
-1/2 dozen new arrows are up and some ribbon also.
-The trail is clear of all downfall and has been trimmed back where needed.
-It' s been mowed where-ever you can get with a mower, thanks to Robinettes for the mowing.
-It's all good and it's open thru-out hunting season and the winter.
"For every man who is chopping at the roots there are a thousand who are swinging at the leaves"
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby kms662 » October 23rd, 2010, 4:29 pm

Got a couple loops in after the trail work this morning. Trail is in great shape! Pay the $3 and get out and ride it!
kms662

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » October 30th, 2010, 7:26 pm

At least 4 trees down that cant be jumped and couple more u can just squeeze under. Tons of deep piles of leaves and tons of debris on the trail. But other then that its just fine. :wink:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby the Putti » July 20th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Has anyone been to Robinette's lately? I'll be monving in August and be very close and wonder if it's worth riding.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby shoe » July 20th, 2011, 3:04 pm

It depends on what you like to ride. It's full of short, steep climbs with no run at them and some technical downhills, not an amateur trail. We did a bunch of work on it last year, arrowing it and filling in ruts and a re-route. It is not as treacherous as it was before the work, much to my chagrin, but it is an excellent workout.
"For every man who is chopping at the roots there are a thousand who are swinging at the leaves"
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby RickPlite » July 20th, 2011, 3:42 pm

shoe wrote:It depends on what you like to ride. It's full of short, steep climbs with no run at them and some technical downhills, not an amateur trail. We did a bunch of work on it last year, arrowing it and filling in ruts and a re-route. It is not as treacherous as it was before the work, much to my chagrin, but it is an excellent workout.

Shoe, has it been trimmed this year?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Kampfire » July 20th, 2011, 3:55 pm

I went out there about a month ago. Very overgrown and many trees down. Feels like an accomplishment getting through the trail.
Kampfire

Postby kevin g » July 20th, 2011, 7:07 pm

I have been riding it pretty much weekly all season. When I went last week it looked like it had been somewhat recently trimmed in areas where they could get a tractor and the there weren't many trees down. The big rutted downhill is getting a little rutted again, but nothing like it was later in the season last year. I think the reroute is actually more treacherous than the rut. The main reason I ride it is becasue it is close to my office, but it is lots of fun. Definately worth riding if you are close.
kevin g

Postby shoe » July 20th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Rick and Kampfire- I'll make a point of getting out there and cleaning it up as far as downed trees. It's mowed wherever Robinettes can get a tractor, so it's in pretty good shape that way at the moment.
Kevin G.- Feel free to use the original downhill and blow off the re-route if you want to. I haven't been on a bicycle since Iceman 2009 due to a knee injury but I intend to ride the original downhill when I get back at it. The re-route was put in for a foot race sponsored by Gazelle- they didn't want people spraining ankles on the downhill.
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby the Putti » July 31st, 2011, 1:43 pm

I tried to ride here last Monday (July 25th) and it was closed?? I ended up have a great ride at Cannonsberg SGA, but I am confused why Robinette's was closed.

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby shoe » July 31st, 2011, 3:31 pm

What gave you the impression that it was closed?
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby the Putti » August 1st, 2011, 4:54 pm

The doors were locked. No cars in the parking lot.

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby shoe » August 1st, 2011, 5:17 pm

Ahhh....yes, the store is closed on Sunday and Monday but you can still ride. At the trail head on the north side of 4 Mile Rd there is a kiosk with a supply of liability release forms and a drop box (an iron pipe with a slot in it similar to many state campground registration setups). Drop your liability release and a $3 contribution in the slot and go riding. Have fun!
-Henry David Thoreau
shoe

Postby the Putti » August 2nd, 2011, 8:11 pm

Ahhh... thanks for the info!! No one's ever accused me of being the sharpest tool in the shed.

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby the Putti » September 8th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Holy Crap... got totally owned today out there... apparent I don't have the skills to ride here yet. Oh and I lost my freakin car keys.

As far as the trail goes, there are at least 3 trees across the trail in various locations.

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments