Western: Robinette's

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Robinette's

Postby Gooser » November 12th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Rode Robinetts this afternoon. There must be a dozen tree down most of them in the first loop. And there are some huge trees, at one point in the 1st loop the are 3 large trees and you can not get around it. The lakes were low enough not to be a problem. They have rerouted the first loop. The course if fast (except getting of the bike 12 times ) there are some really nasty roots that are hidden under the leaves that make it really challenging.
Gooser

Postby shoe » November 12th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the update. I'll get the trees out this weekend if anyone wants to help (some of them are pretty big for one man to be tossing around).
shoe

Postby Bigtymer » November 12th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Lets do it man. Im available Saturday until 2pm and can do Sunday after 4. So maybe meet in the morning on Saturday around 8 and then go for a ride, after we clean up the mess.
Bigtymer

Postby shoe » November 12th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Saturday at 8am will work, see you then. Looking forward to meeting you.
shoe

Postby Bigtymer » November 12th, 2009, 5:15 pm

see you then shoe. should I bring anything?
Bigtymer

Postby shoe » November 12th, 2009, 8:11 pm

I don't think so, unless you have a chainsaw. With multiple saws we could be riding that much sooner!
shoe

Postby Bigtymer » November 13th, 2009, 12:46 am

Will get it done. see you then.
Bigtymer

Postby shoe » November 14th, 2009, 11:55 am

Robinettes trail is cleared of all trees/downfall.
shoe

Postby shoe » November 15th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Busy out there today. Mountainbikers included some MMBA-stickered cars in the parking area, a group of XTERRA triathletes and even some first time kids that bailed out on the woods and still had fun riding in the fields. You could hear laughter and cheering all afternoon.
shoe

Postby McGurk » November 25th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I've ridden the crap out of Luton this fall and decided to try Robinette's for the first time. Rode it yesterday. The trail is quite wet and leaf covered, but there isn't too much mud. Considering the calendar, the conditions are pretty good actually. It's an interesting trail. As mentioned previously, it is quite a bit different that other trails in the area. Obviously some people really like this place but I was disappointed. There are some great flowing sections, but just when you start getting into it, the trail typically makes a hard turn and goes straight up a clay wall. Then repeats the same sequence. You guys like that stuff? I'll have to give it another try. Maybe with a geared bike this time.
McGurk

Postby trout_smith » November 25th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I like challenging. It has probably some of the hardest switchback climbs around. Mile for mile, not many trails beat me as bad as this one does.
trout_smith

Postby Derek Graham » November 25th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Yes, this trail is challenging and even more so on a single speed. One of my favorites.

Anyone remember back when there were weekly training races at Robinettes? I would love to see that come back.
Derek Graham

Postby shoe » November 30th, 2009, 11:49 am

Derek, as the tale was told to me the loss control (ie risk management) people from the Robinettes Farm's insurance provider threatened to cancel all the insurance for the entire farm if they ever held another organized mountain bike event there.
We are fortunate that the Robinette family continues to support the recreational use of mountain bikes on their property.
Trail is in great shape. Leaf covered of course, but clear and ready.
If the grass-covered parking are at the kiosk gets soggy we can park across the street in the gravel parking lot.
shoe

Postby tbeebe » December 3rd, 2009, 12:03 am

First time at Robinette's this evening. Got my ass kicked big time. Kinda wish I could do it every day now.
Trail was in great shape. A little slippery in the deeper ruts with the leaves on top. No dead falls.
tbeebe

Postby GR_MtnBkr » April 12th, 2010, 8:41 am

Rode the trail last night 4/11/10. NIce change from Cannonsburg SGA! The trail is in serious need of grooming. There are a lot of fallen trees over the trail and heavy erosion in some areas. I assume from the heavy rains we have had. Also in certains parts, there are big mounds of leaves..........I wouldnt have thought they were hard to navigate but, I almost bit it!! :) Looking forward to riding this one again soon!!
GR_MtnBkr

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments