CRAMBA: Ruby Campground

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Ruby Campground

Postby MTB_Jay » April 30th, 2010, 6:48 am

It's mostly state land and I believe they haven't been to open to building organized trails. I agree there's some awesome terrain up there that could be turned into awesome singletrack. There are lots of bandit trails, two tracks and game trails, but tough to make a good loop.

We keep plugging away at Ruby, making it the best we can for what we have there.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » May 11th, 2010, 7:48 am

Finished up some additional bench cutting last night on the reroute/addition to Lance (the big climb on the campground side of the river). The new section is firming up good so we've closed off the old switchback.

It's pretty muddy out there in spots right now and the river is too high to cross. Today's rain won't help either of those problems, but it looks like we have some dry days ahead. I would say give it at least a few days after today's rain before heading out.
MTB_Jay

Postby Jayers » May 26th, 2010, 11:31 am

Anyone know the trail condition? What it might be like on Sunday? Chances of Rain between now and then appear to be no more than 40% for thunderstorms Friday.
Jayers

Postby MTB_Jay » May 27th, 2010, 8:38 am

Ruby should be good to go. There will still be some mud at the intersection, which stays wet for most of the year, but other than that it will be okay. We just installed two new bridges over a chronically muddy area. We also added some erosion matts to the badly eroded climb up outhouse hill. The river won't be rideable but you could certainly walk across it. Last I heard it would under knee deep.

Let us know what you think of the new additions to the trail.
MTB_Jay

Postby Jayers » May 27th, 2010, 8:59 am

MTB_Jay wrote:Ruby should be good to go. There will still be some mud at the intersection, which stays wet for most of the year, but other than that it will be okay. We just installed two new bridges over a chronically muddy area. We also added some erosion matts to the badly eroded climb up outhouse hill. The river won't be rideable but you could certainly walk across it. Last I heard it would under knee deep.

Let us know what you think of the new additions to the trail.

Thanks. All I will be able to provide are first impressions, as I have never ridden Ruby before. I live in Armada and it's close to me. Holiday weekend appears to be a good opportunity to get out and ride it. Any recommendations on riding the trail?
Jayers

Postby MTB_Jay » May 27th, 2010, 9:37 am

Park in the lot on the left when you get to the bottom of the hill. There's a mailbox you can toss $2 in, that's what the campground owners ask from riders. They do have trail maps available in the campground office. Ride down the main campground road and the entrance to the trail will be on your left. You will ride about 1 1/2 miles of trail, then get dumped out by the pavilion and bathrooms. Ride back towards the parking area, towards the green pole barn. The trail picks back up behind the green barn. When you come down outhouse hill (you'll know because you will ride past an outhouse) stay to the left on the park road. As the road turns left you will hang a right and head to the river crossing. As I mentioned in my other reply the river won't be rideable now so pick the bike up and walk across. About half of the trail is on the other side. Once you finish the trail on the other side of the river you can cross back over to finish your loop or take the little connector trail on the left to do another lap before heading back across. Have fun.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » May 31st, 2010, 6:39 am

So, Has anyone anything to report for the ole' Ruby ? Has anybody actually given it a good ride or has there been only observations? I have to work today, but have tomarrow off, was yhinkin' of going up there and hauling my friend rom Avoca out there with me.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Jayers » May 31st, 2010, 7:54 am

Rock N' Rolla wrote:So, Has anyone anything to report for the ole' Ruby ? Has anybody actually given it a good ride or has there been only observations? I have to work today, but have tomarrow off, was yhinkin' of going up there and hauling my friend rom Avoca out there with me.

I did ride it yesterday. It was in good shape with some soft spots in low areas that weren't quite muddy
anymore. Truth in advertising: I didn't go across the creek.
Jayers

Postby MTB_Jay » May 31st, 2010, 5:42 pm

I rode it this morning and it was in really good shape, with really only one muddy area (though that might change after the storms that rolled through today). Lots of face slappers and high weeds, but those will all be cut in the next week in preparation for the race on the 13th.
MTB_Jay

Postby gen-xer » June 1st, 2010, 8:38 pm

Rode tonight and all in all the trail is looking good. The river is a HIKE-A-BIKE at about 15-18inches of warm summer stream. A few mud spots, but even with the buckets of rain Monday afternoon...not too bad tonight. Bike wasn't very muddy!

TSB will be in full force this week - finishing cutting and clearing the trail in the coming days.

For those that may be interested in a checking out a different trail - Tuesday Night group rides @ 6pm everyweek - all are welcome! :wink:
gen-xer

Postby MTB_Jay » June 4th, 2010, 7:09 am

Trail day scheduled for this Saturday, 6/5, at 9am. This is a race prep day to do some final trimming and make sure the trail is ready for next week. Any and all help is welcome. Keep an eye out for trail workers if you're out pre-riding.
MTB_Jay

Postby dirty bird » June 6th, 2010, 6:56 pm

The trail is MUDDY, but dont panic because we are looking at 7days of dry warm weather!!! Wait till wed. to go and start preriding it for the race... The trail itself is ready to ride, now we need the rain to quit and sun to shine!
Remember, the river will continue to go down each day right up to race time so dont give up on it until you see it first hand on friday!
dirty bird

Postby MTB_Jay » June 8th, 2010, 7:32 am

More new trail at Ruby. Last night we added about 900-1000 feet of new trail that will keep you in the woods more and eliminate the section where you would ride through the campground and behind the green maintenance barn. When you dump out of the first section of singletrack behind the pavilion and bath house stay tight to the woods and make a left into the new trail behind the playground equipment. This will route you across the campground road, through the woods and spill out onto the existing trail. It's ready to ride, just needs to be worn in.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » June 11th, 2010, 7:23 am

Rerouted the worst of the mud last night. This cuts out about 80% of the mud on the campground side of the river. If it stays dry the trail will essentially be mud free. If we get some rain you should only have to content with the occasional mud hole.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » June 12th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Ruby is in great shape for the race tomorrow. Only a couple mud holes. Most of the trail is dry and fast. The river is a little higher than years past, but below the knee and easily crossable.
MTB_Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions