CRAMBA: Ruby Campground

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Ruby Campground

Postby andyf » January 8th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Holly/Flint Chapter Annual Meeting Jan 22 6pm @ Cranberry's Cafe http://www.cranberriescafe.com in Downtown Goodrich. Trail updates will be on the agenda. See Chapters - Holly/Flint forum or http://hollyflint.mmba.org for futher detail.
andyf

Postby andyf » March 19th, 2011, 5:17 pm

The 2011 Trail Day schedule has been posted at http://hollyflint.mmba.org. See the main page or "Trail Days" page.
andyf

Postby MTB_Jay » April 3rd, 2011, 6:49 am

We had a great first trailday out at Ruby yesterday. Still some snow on the trails and frozen ground so we focused on clearing deadfall, opening up some of the really tight areas and cutting in a few reroutes. Didn't make it across the river, but the campground side is in pretty good shape. Once the rest of this snow melts and the ground fully thaws it should be rideable soon depending on rain levels.

There's another trailday next Saturday the 9th. 8:30 meet for coffee and hit the trail about 9. Work till 12 or 12:30.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » April 9th, 2011, 5:05 pm

We had another good trail day out at Ruby this morning. There's a few wet spots yet, but the front is in pretty good shape. Yet to make it across the river though, still pretty high and moving fast.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 10th, 2011, 7:45 am

would you say that the front section is ridable yet?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 10th, 2011, 7:55 am

Rock N' Rolla wrote:would you say that the front section is ridable yet?

For the most part, yes. You're going to get a little muddy in a few spots and we filled in a few approaches to some of the bridges so that will probably be very soft and wet unless we get a few dry days. There's also a few new areas that will be very soft, but just need to be ridden on to wear them in. They're not long though so shouldn't really affect your ride much.

If you're local to the area give it a try, but keep in mind the owners of the campground typically don't open it officially until May so if you drive out there you may find the driveway blocked off. I'll do my best to keep this forum updated with conditions and status. You can also check our team forum, www.teamsandbag.com.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 10th, 2011, 7:59 am

Thanks, I 'll check it out on friday, my friend live on Norman rd. just off the Avoca trail.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby gf101 » April 27th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Haven't been to Ruby in quite a few years... did a bridge ever get built over the stream?
gf101

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 27th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Nope... I don't really mind the stream though... it's really only an issue when the water's high and in the fall when its freezing cold.they re-routed it a lil' last year before the stream crossing.A buddy and myself are gunna take a stab at it next week.... but really it's a mud pit most of the season. I'll post conditions when I get back.I'm thinkin' of goin Monday or Tuesday.If work doesn't get in the way again.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 29th, 2011, 8:19 pm

I haven't been out there since out last trail day a couple weeks ago, but I imagine it's really muddy right now with all the rain we've been having. The river is also probably really high right now.

Also, I would disagree with rock n rolla, I ride there weekly all summer and only spring time or after a heavy rain would I consider it a mud pit. Once we get some decent, dry weather it will dry out and be fine other than right after a rain.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 30th, 2011, 6:31 am

oh? a dryer Ruby??? Looks like I'll be seeing more of Ruby onthe weekends I head to my parents :) Hey , what's going on with that other trail in the works ...Columbus Park I think... Haven't heard much about it since last year?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 30th, 2011, 7:25 am

Don't get me wrong, it's probably a mud pit right now with all this rain, but we've worked on a lot of reroutes or changes to help address the mud in recent years. Most of the problem areas have been addressed so once it dries up there shouldn't be more than a handful of mud holes to deal with.

We haven't made it across the river yet this year so not sure what kind of shape that is in.

I'm not sure what's up with Columbus Park. I know that Dirt was involved with them and believe they had started working on some trail.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » May 1st, 2011, 8:16 am

Update on Ruby - The campground is literally under water which means that much of the trail will be as well. Once the rain slows down the river will go down and a few days of dry weather will dry up the trails. Definitely avoid it for now though.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » June 5th, 2011, 7:21 am

Ruby is starting to come around, though this has been a tough year with all the rain we've had. We spent some time out there yesterday and the front half is good to go with just a few lingering muddy spots. A couple guys are heading out there today to work on the other side of the river so hopefully that will be cleaned up and ready to go soon.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » July 27th, 2011, 7:23 am

Ruby is in good shape right now. Everything is dry and the river is low, ankle deep in most spots. Did some extensive trimming the other night so most of the trail is clear of face slappers.
MTB_Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments