CRAMBA: Ruby Campground

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Holly/Flint: Ruby Campground

Postby gen-xer » July 17th, 2009, 9:19 pm

As of this past Tuesday night the 14th the trail is in great shape. The lower ridge behind the campsites right on the river is bit muddy and tore up, but rideable.

Ride and enjoy!

The river is about 8"-12" deep at this time. The single track across the river is FAST!
gen-xer

Postby MTB_Jay » April 8th, 2010, 7:45 am

The trail won't be rideable for a while yet, but our first trail day of the year is scheduled for this Saturday, the 10th, at Ruby Campground. This will be a basic spring clean-up to get the leaves off the trail, remove any downed limbs, and some minor trail repairs. Meet up at the pavilion by 9am. We'll work until around noon, then grill some hotdogs for anyone who wants to stick around. Bring rakes, loppers, hand saws, or what ever you have. Thanks.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 11th, 2010, 10:13 am

Hoe was the trail day out there. does Ruby look to be dryin out sooner(if ever) this year? Also, does anyone know of where this Columbus Park is ... were the future trail will be? Thanks
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 12th, 2010, 7:28 am

Trail day went well. The river was up so we didn't make it to the other side, bu the dry side is in good shape. I would say rideable with a few pretty muddy spots, but those are the usual spots. Much better shape than years past. Keep in mind, the campground doesn't open until mid-May, but the locals are usually riding there before that.

Columbus park is northeast of Richmond. Take Gratiot north of 32 Mile Rd, then turn left on Bauman Road.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » April 19th, 2010, 7:22 am

Added a little new trail at Ruby over the last week, about 400-500 feet or so. Also rerouted a couple badly eroded sections so it should flow a little better now.

There's a trail day out there this weekend, Saturday the 24th. Meet up at the pavilion at 9am. The main focus will be to cross the river and clean that side of the trail up. Don't worry about getting wet, there's a large tree down across the river that's pretty easy to walk across.

Hot dogs, chips and pop will be available when we're done.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » April 24th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Had a great trail day today. Raked the wet side of the trail, rerouted a steep, rooted section, and added a great new section at the top of Lance. The trail is in great shape right now, but I'm sure the rain will change that tonight and tomorrow. I would say let it dry out for at least a few days after the rain before heading out there.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 29th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Hey Guys, Sorry if this question is Poorly thought out, I'm new the the MMBA / Forum. But I'm from the P.H area. An now I bask in all that is single track riding here in Oakland County. As I was tooling on the Bing Maps website I was wondering, Is it at all possible the stretch some single track though all of that scenic forest along the Black River. From say Beard and WildCat( Dorsey House) up through to Yale rd., or Comstock area... or even more ambitious in to Sanilac.From the "birds eye" view there seems to be some kind of trails though there. I can't find any info on the land though. Is it State or St. Clair County land... or Both? Is this an idea that could be kicked around by u guys up there. It would be nice to have a bit more than Ruby up there or bigger than the coming Columbus Park?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby MTB_Jay » April 30th, 2010, 6:48 am

It's mostly state land and I believe they haven't been to open to building organized trails. I agree there's some awesome terrain up there that could be turned into awesome singletrack. There are lots of bandit trails, two tracks and game trails, but tough to make a good loop.

We keep plugging away at Ruby, making it the best we can for what we have there.
MTB_Jay

Postby MTB_Jay » May 11th, 2010, 7:48 am

Finished up some additional bench cutting last night on the reroute/addition to Lance (the big climb on the campground side of the river). The new section is firming up good so we've closed off the old switchback.

It's pretty muddy out there in spots right now and the river is too high to cross. Today's rain won't help either of those problems, but it looks like we have some dry days ahead. I would say give it at least a few days after today's rain before heading out.
MTB_Jay

Postby Jayers » May 26th, 2010, 11:31 am

Anyone know the trail condition? What it might be like on Sunday? Chances of Rain between now and then appear to be no more than 40% for thunderstorms Friday.
Jayers

Postby MTB_Jay » May 27th, 2010, 8:38 am

Ruby should be good to go. There will still be some mud at the intersection, which stays wet for most of the year, but other than that it will be okay. We just installed two new bridges over a chronically muddy area. We also added some erosion matts to the badly eroded climb up outhouse hill. The river won't be rideable but you could certainly walk across it. Last I heard it would under knee deep.

Let us know what you think of the new additions to the trail.
MTB_Jay

Postby Jayers » May 27th, 2010, 8:59 am

MTB_Jay wrote:Ruby should be good to go. There will still be some mud at the intersection, which stays wet for most of the year, but other than that it will be okay. We just installed two new bridges over a chronically muddy area. We also added some erosion matts to the badly eroded climb up outhouse hill. The river won't be rideable but you could certainly walk across it. Last I heard it would under knee deep.

Let us know what you think of the new additions to the trail.

Thanks. All I will be able to provide are first impressions, as I have never ridden Ruby before. I live in Armada and it's close to me. Holiday weekend appears to be a good opportunity to get out and ride it. Any recommendations on riding the trail?
Jayers

Postby MTB_Jay » May 27th, 2010, 9:37 am

Park in the lot on the left when you get to the bottom of the hill. There's a mailbox you can toss $2 in, that's what the campground owners ask from riders. They do have trail maps available in the campground office. Ride down the main campground road and the entrance to the trail will be on your left. You will ride about 1 1/2 miles of trail, then get dumped out by the pavilion and bathrooms. Ride back towards the parking area, towards the green pole barn. The trail picks back up behind the green barn. When you come down outhouse hill (you'll know because you will ride past an outhouse) stay to the left on the park road. As the road turns left you will hang a right and head to the river crossing. As I mentioned in my other reply the river won't be rideable now so pick the bike up and walk across. About half of the trail is on the other side. Once you finish the trail on the other side of the river you can cross back over to finish your loop or take the little connector trail on the left to do another lap before heading back across. Have fun.
MTB_Jay

Postby Rock N' Rolla » May 31st, 2010, 6:39 am

So, Has anyone anything to report for the ole' Ruby ? Has anybody actually given it a good ride or has there been only observations? I have to work today, but have tomarrow off, was yhinkin' of going up there and hauling my friend rom Avoca out there with me.
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Jayers » May 31st, 2010, 7:54 am

Rock N' Rolla wrote:So, Has anyone anything to report for the ole' Ruby ? Has anybody actually given it a good ride or has there been only observations? I have to work today, but have tomarrow off, was yhinkin' of going up there and hauling my friend rom Avoca out there with me.

I did ride it yesterday. It was in good shape with some soft spots in low areas that weren't quite muddy
anymore. Truth in advertising: I didn't go across the creek.
Jayers

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments