MCMBA: Munson

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Munson

Postby sally_2000 » September 29th, 2012, 6:42 pm

sally_2000 wrote:Does anyone know the conidtion of this trail lately ??? Thanks

Why yes ,I just checked it out later this afternoon. The first loop is in great condition , the second needs work , having face slaps & 3 down trees.
sally_2000

Postby dexner » May 1st, 2013, 11:28 am

Has anybody rode this trail lately? I work in Monroe and was thinking about hitting it here sometime soon. Never even knew this was here...
dexner

Postby VegaN8 » May 22nd, 2013, 11:43 am

I rode this trail 2 weeks ago and it was in need of a lot of TLC. Need chainsaws and a trail day to fix this one up. Being very flat it also seems to hold water for a long time in several spots.
So 2 weeks ago the SW section (closest to parking area) was mostly rideable, but required lifting the bike over 2 downed trees early in the trail, and walking past the muddiest parts.
The NE section was much worse, from the start there were multiple trees down requiring lift overs, then a major blockage with no way past. So I turned around and tried riding up the exit, it was slightly better but still ran into a different "impassable" point. I even built up one downed tree to make a nice one-way log crossing but it'll take a lot more than that to fix these trails up. Volunteer trail day anyone?
VegaN8

Postby jwilds1 » June 30th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Tried to do it today - no dice. Was my first visit, and there was a bunch of standing water on the "orange" loop (closest to parking), and standing water in the grassy two-track to head back to the second loop. I almost blew past the entrance because it was so overgrown. Went in through the out door on the back loop (sshhhhh) and same thing about half-way in with the standing water.

I'd gladly volunteer to help with a trail day. It's much closer for me than Maybury or Tree Farm, and because it's so flat I think my 8-year old would love it.

Of course now that I go back and read through this thread do I find out it's got drainage issues :)
- John
Super-noob
jwilds1

Postby steve-o » July 16th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Has anyone ridden this trail as of late? how are they? I have never ridden them and I would like to check them out. I have been ridding out at Morton Taylor rd.
:icon_r_r:
steve-o

Postby defense1 » August 12th, 2013, 6:10 pm

I rode Munson yesterday, I am however quite a newb on mtb trails so take my review for what it's worth. It was a little juicy in the low spots and there were a few trees across the trail in the front loop. All in all the front loop was a fun ride. The rear loop however... imho was inaccessible. I did find and ride through the entrance which was nearly grown closed but only made it in another 30 or so feet before I came to a tree that stopped me. I considered attempting to drag my bike under it and continue but the swarm of skeeters advised me to do an about-face. I bailed and rode the front loop again.

If I lived in the area, I'd say a brush cutter and chain saw are in order. Then again, maybe I'm just a newb and haven't really earned the title of mtb'er lol.
defense1

Postby steve-o » August 14th, 2013, 7:04 pm

im new to all this to. I don't live in that area either I live in between Monroe and canton and I am always looking for new trails to ride
steve-o

Postby JACKS-BIKES » December 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm

I spent three day out at Munson two weeks ago and cleaned both loops before the snow, I trimmed the entrance to the back loop. Let us know at Jack's Bicycle in Monroe if there are trees down.
Scott
JACKS-BIKES

Postby Loren » December 17th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Thanks!
Loren

Postby Butterflies_N_Daisies » July 20th, 2014, 7:25 am

How is Munson these days? Hope to ride it sometime this week. Plan to connect it to a ride to Lake Erie. Please comment on conditions.
Butterflies_N_Daisies

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 25th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Any recent condition reports?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 27th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Trail was fantastic this afternoon. Dry as concrete, just a few minor slappers, evidence of recent trimming/maintenance, and generally good to go.

There is a small (6"-8") tree down about 1/3 mile into the back North loop. I was able to get over it without dismounting, but it probably should be cut out to keep the character of the trail.

About 1/2 way through my second lap of the back loop it started storming really hard. Made my way out of the woods as quick as I could, and by then there was water starting to puddle on some of the trail. By the time I made it back to my car I was thoroughly soaked, but the rain stopped. Only lasted maybe 20-25 minutes so I would think that if we don't get much more rain it would be rideable again in a day or so.

Gotta remember to bring my kiddos down here. This is a great trail to introduce MTB'ing.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 27th, 2014, 5:12 pm

By the way, I couldn't find any trail maps of Munson online. So here are pics of the maps at the trailheads for reference:
ChrisInYpsi

Postby ChrisInYpsi » January 11th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Rode through today. Was a great mellow ride through the snow on my Fatbike.

Orange/Front was clear and in good shape.

Red/Back has a tree down across the trail near the entrance and the first or second wood bridge. GPS coords are N 41*56.710', W 83*25.577'. Will need a chainsaw to clear.
There is also a smallish tree or biggish vine across the trail at head height just before the tree above. You can get under it but if you're not paying attention it could be bad. Several other smaller trees down on Red but all can be ridden over/under/around.
ChrisInYpsi

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments