MCMBA: Munson

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Munson

Postby CoachYork » May 24th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I'd avoid this trail until the sun has a chance to dry it out. We got maybe 200-400 yards into the 1.8 mile loop and turned around as the majority of the trail looked underwater and didn't seem to look better down the path.
"You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." Mitch Hedberg
CoachYork

Postby fattyclark » May 24th, 2010, 4:27 pm

If I end up moving back home I might have to see if we can get a better trail built in Monroe County Maybe out at MCCC they got some land out there that might be fun to build a little trail in. We could get a Mile and half loop in on area and if this other piece of woods is there we could put another mile in. I would be small but I could make it fun.lol
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby Rod » May 24th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Better built as in?
Rod

Postby Rod » May 24th, 2010, 8:27 pm

CoachYork wrote:I'd avoid this trail until the sun has a chance to dry it out. We got maybe 200-400 yards into the 1.8 mile loop and turned around as the majority of the trail looked underwater and didn't seem to look better down the path.

Try coming from the other direction in if it's been raining like this (for the front trail). You'll ride the majority of the dry stuff until the front. Same thing with the back. It's a mess at the entrance and the exit but in the middle is really nice. I'm going to try and do more boardwalk in the back.

Just the nature of that trail, we hit as many high spots as we could but all this rain made some big mud puddles out there. Won't be clean out there for a month or two.
Rod

Postby fattyclark » May 24th, 2010, 8:39 pm

every time I am down there and have the bike with me there is nothing but water on the trail. Seems like it is always wet out there is all.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Out in Michigan
River Raisin Guide Service
fattyclark

Postby don_delagrange » July 8th, 2010, 9:17 pm

Rode the trail last night. The trails are in great shape. The first bit of trail on the front loop is like concrete.

The back loop has lots of small dead fall so it's pretty loose in the turns.
don_delagrange

Postby froggyrider » July 16th, 2010, 2:29 pm

Yes, the TC mentioned that the downed trees are taken care of. Both trails are rideable. Thanks to Scott Goocher and his crew for that.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Rod » August 2nd, 2010, 12:49 pm

Rode yesterday with all my boys. First time out on his 20" mtb for my youngest guy at 5. Super proud of him for riding about 4.5 miles of the 5.5.

Onto the trail. SUPRISINGLY nice and moist with no standing water anywhere on the trail. Front trail is in tip top shape (gets the most use). Back trail is a tight with the foliage for the first 30 yards or so but nothing you can't get through. Also, someone took it upon themsleves to start throwing in random crappily constructed log piles in the back trail. No biggie for 26/29 although it really killed any flow in some places. Lots of random sticks and such in the trail too. Time for a trail day out there for the back section.
Rod

Postby sally_2000 » November 20th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Rode this trail today with 5 riders ranging from from beginner to fast . We all liked it ! Twisty , some bridges, roots , but flat (great recovery ride) I liked the log piles and the one funny turn where ya have to ride the side of a crater situation or get stuck in a rut. (there probably is a tech term for what I am trying to describe )There are 2, 2+ or- mile trails (loops) not many riders today >so we (whisper) did the trails both ways , made it more interesting . We did the trails 4 times each & it made for a real decent ride ! So this trail is great for beginners cause no hills ..but is somewhat techical & can still get speed or just learn the turn. And it is well maintained & ya can't make a wrong turn. . Thanks for the nice trail!
sally_2000

Postby brickwall00 » January 9th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Has anyone ridden this lately? How's the trail looking?
TY
brickwall00

Postby RobM » October 13th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Been meaning to post this for awhile. Rode Munson on October 2nd with my daughter. Trail was in very good shape, with the exception of several places with trees/branches over it. Thanks for those who built and maintain the trail as it's a great family mountain bike trail that's not too far from Sterling State Park, so we like to ride there when camping at the state park.
RobM

Postby Loren » March 13th, 2012, 11:30 pm

I'm looking for some great still photos of Munson for our new chapter website. If you've got any favorites that highlight the trail and the biking experience, and are the copyright holder and don't mind sharing them on our website, please drop me a line at loren.konkus @ gmail.com

Thanks!
Loren

Re: MCMBA: Munson

Postby bringjustn » April 13th, 2012, 6:50 am

I rode the front loop yesterday (4/12) or I should say attempted to ride. There are a lot of downed trees right now, and it is flooded towards the end of the trail.  The mud out there right now is about 5” deep with heavy ruts in the trail due to people riding on it. Sadly this trail is going to need some work on getting it back into shape. I did not attempt the rear trail which normally stays wet longer.

As of right now I would say avoid the trail, even for hikes and trail runs. I will be doing my best to be out there at least once a week to keep the status updated.

bringjustn

Postby Loren » May 21st, 2012, 10:10 pm

Scott hosted a trail day last Saturday to clear the dead fall. The trail is open and rideable. There are still some wet ares in the back, but Scott thinks it should be dry in a couple of weeks.
Loren

Postby sally_2000 » September 28th, 2012, 10:12 am

Does anyone know the conidtion of this trail lately ??? Thanks
sally_2000

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments