NMMBA: Hanson Hills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: Hanson Hills

Postby AkA » September 11th, 2012, 10:22 am

Thanks Brad!
Doing the 4 man team with TP.
So Im looking at 6 laps of the 10.5 mile course if broken up evenly.
AkA

Postby MLKuhl » September 24th, 2012, 11:56 am

Planning on heading up here this weekend to ride for first time. How are the trails? Anyone been out lately? Thanks

Matt
MLKuhl

Postby MLKuhl » September 29th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Just back from riding these trails for the first time. Had a great time! Rode the green, main and outer loop and loved it. Trails were in good shape. Not any REALLY tough climbs but seemed to be constant elevation change which made the legs burn a few times and some pretty fast downhills too. Only saw 3 people out there the whole time...not used to that since the trails I usually ride are down state and pretty crowded on the weekends.

One question though, what's the deal with the orange triangular signs placed through out with different state names on them? We could'nt figure that one out. Will have to make it a point to get up here again soon.

Matt
MLKuhl

Postby Davidpeckjr » October 1st, 2012, 5:05 pm

Some of the "orange triangle" signs are post for the land nav course for the military base. Soldiers are given a coordinate and each post has a number. If they bring back the right number they found the right spot.
2013 Miles (29er mnt=0, road=0) ('86 Schwinn=0)
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby str8flush24 » December 26th, 2012, 12:35 pm

I saw on the Hanson Hills website that it says the mountain bike trails are closed for the winter....does this mean fat bikes arent welcome this time of year?
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby Mack » December 26th, 2012, 1:54 pm

str8flush24 wrote:I saw on the Hanson Hills website that it says the mountain bike trails are closed for the winter....does this mean fat bikes arent welcome this time of year?

That would be my guess. Most winters you are not going to be able to bike the MTB trails anyway. I just got
back from that area 15-24 inches of snow on the ground makes for pretty hard biking. Bikes are not allowed on the xc-sking
trails either. Hanson Hills switches over to sking in the winter.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby Nelg » December 26th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Mack wrote:
str8flush24 wrote:I saw on the Hanson Hills website that it says the mountain bike trails are closed for the winter....does this mean fat bikes arent welcome this time of year?

That would be my guess. Most winters you are not going to be able to bike the MTB trails anyway. I just got
back from that area 15-24 inches of snow on the ground makes for pretty hard biking. Bikes are not allowed on the xc-sking

I've heard the opposite, that people were riding the singletrack over the weekend. I'd call Jeremy and the gang at HH to get the scoop. http://hansonhills.org/Contact_Us.html
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Mack » December 26th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Nelg wrote:
Mack wrote:

I've heard the opposite, that people were riding the singletrack over the weekend. I'd call Jeremy and the gang at HH to get the scoop. http://hansonhills.org/Contact_Us.html

According to the folks with whom I just spoke with from HH. The MTB trails are open to riding in the winter. The XC trails and ski
hill are closed to ALL biking. I still think it's gonna be real hard with the snow we have had the last few days, and what we are suppposed to get in the next few days. But if you are feeling game, have at it.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby str8flush24 » January 18th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Anyone been out recently? How much snow is in that area right now? Heading up this evening and wondering what bike I should bring...thanks in advance.
str8flush24

Postby Nelg » January 18th, 2013, 1:46 pm

str8flush24 wrote:Anyone been out recently? How much snow is in that area right now? Heading up this evening and wondering what bike I should bring...thanks in advance.

Snow bike for sure, we have gotten lots of lake effect over the past couple days. HH being rid-able is a tossup, it will depend on if the locals have been riding it in or not.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby str8flush24 » January 18th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Nice, thanks!
str8flush24

Postby vmaxx4 » April 13th, 2013, 10:26 am

Anyone able to give a report on conditions or a possible time line on when we might be able to ride?
2010 Intense Spider 2
2010 Ibis Tranny SS
2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
vmaxx4

Postby MTB23 » April 13th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Not for awhile. We've been getting 2-3 inches of snow the past 3 days with highs barley breaking freezing. Still a solid 6+ inches in most spots.
www.BorealisBikes.com

"If ya aint first, your last"-Ricky Bobby
MTB23

Postby vmaxx4 » April 13th, 2013, 6:17 pm

MTB23 wrote:Not for awhile. We've been getting 2-3 inches of snow the past 3 days with highs barley breaking freezing. Still a solid 6+ inches in most spots.

Thanks for the update. :(
2010 Intense Spider 2
2010 Ibis Tranny SS
2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
vmaxx4

Postby detroitjohnny » April 22nd, 2013, 9:24 am

Anyone ride Hansen this weekend and check trail conditions? Heading either here or the VASA single this afternoon.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments