NMMBA: Hanson Hills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: Hanson Hills

Postby jer091 » July 14th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Rode the yellow and red loops today, conditions are great. No deadfall, great ride! :icon_thumright:
jer091

Postby Mike_D » July 26th, 2012, 10:43 am

I've never ridden Hanson Hills before but will be vacationing up near Higgins Lake in a week or so and I thought I would check out the trail system one of the days I am up there. I see there are numerous loops so is there a good way to tie the loops together? Any input on tying the loops together to make a nice route would be appreciated. I would like to check out all of the loops if possible. Maybe do the main loop first then head back out from the trailhead and do the outer loop? Are these trails 1 direction or multi-direction? Any suggestions?

Thanks - Mike
Mike_D

Postby Mack » July 26th, 2012, 11:22 am

mntn-biker wrote:I've never ridden Hanson Hills before but will be vacationing up near Higgins Lake in a week or so and I thought I would check out the trail system one of the days I am up there. I see there are numerous loops so is there a good way to tie the loops together? Any input on tying the loops together to make a nice route would be appreciated. I would like to check out all of the loops if possible. Maybe do the main loop first then head back out from the trailhead and do the outer loop? Are these trails 1 direction or multi-direction? Any suggestions?

Thanks - Mike

Mike, the trails are 1 direction clockwise. They are a stacked loop system. Depending on how much time
I have and how im feeling. I like to do the yellow loop, then if I have time add in the green loop it's not
very long. If I have time ill do the red loop. It's doesn't get the useage the main loops
do it's in great shape. If you ride the red loop go prepared, you break down on the backside and can't fix it you
are in for a long walk back even with shortcuts. If you ride during the week there is a pretty good chance you
you will not see anyone.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby Mike_D » July 26th, 2012, 11:40 am

Mack wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:I've never ridden Hanson Hills before but will be vacationing up near Higgins Lake in a week or so and I thought I would check out the trail system one of the days I am up there. I see there are numerous loops so is there a good way to tie the loops together? Any input on tying the loops together to make a nice route would be appreciated. I would like to check out all of the loops if possible. Maybe do the main loop first then head back out from the trailhead and do the outer loop? Are these trails 1 direction or multi-direction? Any suggestions?

Thanks - Mike

Mike, the trails are 1 direction clockwise. They are a stacked loop system. Depending on how much time
I have and how im feeling. I like to do the yellow loop, then if I have time add in the green loop it's not
very long. If I have time ill do the red loop. It's doesn't get the useage the main loops
do it's in great shape. If you ride the red loop go prepared, you break down on the backside and can't fix it you
are in for a long walk back even with shortcuts. If you ride during the week there is a pretty good chance you
you will not see anyone.

Great info! What kind of soil conditions should I expect? Sounds like it could be sandy due to lack of rain although recent rains could have changed that?

So, thinking out loud, the "first lap" I could start on the main loop,jump on the green loop, and hit the outer loop (I carry tools and parts when I do long rides in areas I don't know). Then if time permits, the "second lap" I could head out again on the main loop for an additional 10 miles. Are any of the blue connector loops off the main loop a "must do"?

Thanks again - Mike
Mike_D

Postby Mack » July 26th, 2012, 1:40 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
Mack wrote:

Thanks - Mike

you will not see anyone.

Great info! What kind of soil conditions should I expect? Sounds like it could be sandy due to lack of rain although recent rains could have changed that?

So, thinking out loud, the "first lap" I could start on the main loop,jump on the green loop, and hit the outer loop (I carry tools and parts when I do long rides in areas I don't know). Then if time permits, the "second lap" I could head out again on the main loop for an additional 10 miles. Are any of the blue connector loops off the main loop a "must do"?

Thanks again - Mike

It's up north. it's all sand in some form or another :) . You will find most of the trail hard packed with some sand here and there. Epect most of the big downhills to have a sandtrap at the bottom. Mike, I would say for your first
time there do the yellow loop with all lefts one of the lefts is a blue, that willl get you 10mi. If you are feeling it,
head out and do the red loop that will get you 11mi more. If you not quite feeling like 11 more. Do the yellow loop but take all rights,just not the right to the overlook, That loop is 8mi . I never have caught the red off the green loop, for some reason I always catch it at the C post. My guess is cause I never use the map, been riding there since
the first 8mi was put in. The green is really easy, I only ride it to get a few more miles in and Im pressed for time.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mike_D » July 26th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Mack wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
Mack wrote:

Thanks - Mike

you will not see anyone.

Thanks again - Mike

It's up north. it's all sand in some form or another :) . You will find most of the trail hard packed with some sand here and there. Epect most of the big downhills to have a sandtrap at the bottom. Mike, I would say for your first
time there do the yellow loop with all lefts one of the lefts is a blue, that willl get you 10mi. If you are feeling it,
head out and do the red loop that will get you 11mi more. If you not quite feeling like 11 more. Do the yellow loop but take all rights,just not the right to the overlook, That loop is 8mi . I never have caught the red off the green loop, for some reason I always catch it at the C post. My guess is cause I never use the map, been riding there since
the first 8mi was put in. The green is really easy, I only ride it to get a few more miles in and Im pressed for time.

I was thinking if I did the outer loop first then the main loop the 2nd time around, I can bail on some of the shortcuts off the main loop? Are there more uphill climbs on the main loop vs the outer loop or is it about the same? I was just thinking for a good ride downstate here in the Grand Rapids area, I would usually ride ~6 miles at Cannonsburg Ski Area, road ride up to Luton Park and do the full 10 miles there and ride back to the ski area for a round trip of ~32 miles. Just sayin'
Mike_D

Postby Mack » July 27th, 2012, 10:12 am

mntn-biker wrote:
Mack wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
Mack wrote:

Thanks - Mike

you will not see anyone.

Thanks again - Mike

I was thinking if I did the outer loop first then the main loop the 2nd time around, I can bail on some of the shortcuts off the main loop? Are there more uphill climbs on the main loop vs the outer loop or is it about the same? I was just thinking for a good ride downstate here in the Grand Rapids area, I would usually ride ~6 miles at Cannonsburg Ski Area, road ride up to Luton Park and do the full 10 miles there and ride back to the ski area for a round trip of ~32 miles. Just sayin'

Doesn't sound like you are going to need to bail out. So it doesn't matter which one you do first. IMO the yellow
loop has a bit more flow to it.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Nelg » July 29th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Big tree down just after the bridge on a screaming fast downhill on the inner loop.

Other than that, the trail is riding great!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby Davidpeckjr » August 5th, 2012, 3:21 pm

You beat me to the punch when I check this forum after my ride. I am glad I looked down the trail.
2013 Miles (29er mnt=0, road=0) ('86 Schwinn=0)
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby mnelson » August 7th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Rode the outer loop tonight. Trees down at about 1.5 mile, 1.6 mile, 7.8 mile and 8.8 mile marks. The last two look like they have been down a while with a trail forming around them. Other than that, the trail is in great condition.
mnelson

Postby Davidpeckjr » September 6th, 2012, 11:41 am

Rode the Main loop, then the alternative main loop then to the outerloop. The only trees I found were the last two mention on the above post. And there is a trail developed going around them. There is more sand on the main loop than in the beginning of the year. And the Outerloop looks like it could be ridden a bit more. It is pack hard and was pretty good. Not sure if is was planned, I believe the tree down on the 1.4 mile extension should be cut out. The trail that goes to the left of the trail is falling apart and filled with deep sand. However you SHOULD take the 1.4 extension, it is a great part of the main loop.
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby Mack » September 6th, 2012, 11:55 am

You will find it takes awhile for deadfalls to be removed at HH ,if it's not in a dangerous spot it may not be removed at all. I agree though that one needs to go.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Davidpeckjr » September 6th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Just to be clear, I am not complain just informing. I have donated a couple of times, but not all the time. So I know they will get to it sooner or later. And in the mean time provides a little excitement! I have started to help with the Aspen Park trail in Gaylord (hometown). Though the trail is a lot easier to get around without walking the whole thing.
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby AkA » September 11th, 2012, 8:06 am

Never ridden this trail before, any suggestions for a single speeder? Sport rider on a 96'er Carver.....
Thanks!
AkA

Postby bh357 » September 11th, 2012, 8:27 am

AkA wrote:Never ridden this trail before, any suggestions for a single speeder? Sport rider on a 96'er Carver.....
Thanks!

58 gear inches or bigger, unless you're talking about doing the 12 or 24 hour solo.
If I was doing the XC race, which I believe uses the "old outer loop", I'd go 65 inches.

You can use your momentum to get up a lot of hills :D . The "new outer loop" has a bit of climbing towards the end.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments