NMMBA: Hanson Hills

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: Hanson Hills

Postby ninerhuyghe » June 1st, 2010, 9:43 am

c0nsumer wrote:
ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills. I rode it once about 2 years ago and didn't do any single track. I was thinking north unit of bald mountain is pretty similar. any ideas?

I'd say Addison Oaks. I've only ridden Hanson once, but I remember it being fairly accessible with good site lines and fast sweeping curves, but with a few good climbs and downhills.

Bald Mountain is more fast wide trails with occasional sand and rocks and roots.

Better yet, do one than the other. They are only a mile and a half or so apart.

yeah good point that would be a good ride. they are both probably swamped right now though.
alex
ninerhuyghe

Postby b_b » June 1st, 2010, 11:10 am

ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills.
You might try Highland although I would rate Highland harder and more technical.
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » June 1st, 2010, 12:32 pm

b_b wrote:
ninerhuyghe wrote:anyone know a good trail to ride in metro north that is comparable to hanson hills.
You might try Highland although I would rate Highland harder and more technical.

Er, Highland is nice but it's the absolute opposite of fast and flow-y.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby str8flush24 » June 1st, 2010, 12:33 pm

Anyone know when the course will be marked for the race on Sunday? Thinking about pre-riding Saturday...
str8flush24

Location: Most likely at work thinking about when I can ride next.

Postby Nelg » June 1st, 2010, 12:55 pm

str8flush24 wrote:Anyone know when the course will be marked for the race on Sunday? Thinking about pre-riding Saturday...

Contact bwalk to see when he'll have it marked. Typically it's been the original inner loop skipping any re-routes that are not mandatory. There are two finish options, use the one that goes right off the two track at the top of the hill.

As for trails that are similar to Hanson Hills, think of the swoopy fun of PLRA but without the rocks and bit more sand. With any luck, we'll get some rain before the race this coming weekend, it's been too dry in northern Michigan.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby black2003ss » June 2nd, 2010, 3:05 pm

I was going to say PLRA is probably the closest as far as typical average speeds, handling skills, and climbing than anything else down here. If it rains enough, it might keep everything at bay.
black2003ss

Postby Jeffreykdc » July 12th, 2010, 8:51 am

That new outer loop needs about 10,000 more riders to ride it in. It was brutal. Other than that the sand was killing me. Is the sand natural or added? It looks like trail patch.
If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Jeffreykdc

Postby northernrider05 » July 12th, 2010, 12:00 pm

The outer loop is much smoother this summer, the sand is always an issue in Northern MI in the summer
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

Postby froggyrider » August 17th, 2010, 2:37 pm

Rode the trail for the first time. Fun! We only did the original loop-no time for the outer, new one as well. Overall the sand was not too bad, but it kept you on your toes. FYI, the marker #3 sign post was down. We propped it up against a tree. The trail marking was great, by the way.
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby northernrider05 » April 13th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Hanson in good shape rode the main loop the other day.
"Bicycles may change,but cycling is timeless."
-Zapata Espinoza
northernrider05

Postby detroitjohnny » April 14th, 2011, 5:25 am

northernrider05 wrote:Hanson in good shape rode the main loop the other day.

Definitely agree. Rode there yesterday for the first time this year. Trail is in great shape, people have been out working cutting the downed trees and re-routing some short sections. Good work!!!

Now, my fitness on the other hand. . . . . :shock:
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby mxsimps » May 27th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Rode the main loop and ignored the caution tape and markings for the endurance setup. The trail was excellent, the rain over the weekend really helped keep the trail fast.
mxsimps

Postby Davidpeckjr » June 26th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I took some picture of the Outer loop I rode on the 26th of June 2011. you can see them here...http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... ee41eb9926. I would like some feedback as well! hope you like them! I have a GPS track as well for Google Earth! http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.p ... ost1429153
2013 Miles (29er mnt=0, road=0) ('86 Schwinn=0)
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby JonathanGennick » August 6th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Rode the Outer Loop today. Really enjoyed it. There is a tree down that hangs across the trail at about four feet off the ground. It's where the Outer Loop first comes within sight of the highway, before you get to that one, high-up overlook. It is too large for me to have moved it myself. It's too low to duck under unless I'm riding my 20-incher (LOL!). I didn't have a saw w/me. And I'm heading north at dawn tomorrow, otherwise I'd offer to help cut it out.

Nice trail system, btw. I always enjoy riding it on my yearly trips to Grayling.
JonathanGennick

Postby detroitjohnny » August 6th, 2011, 7:19 pm

I noticed that tree and at least one other when I rode out there earlier this week. Anyway, I really like the trail re-routes and new ending runs.

Great trail system!!
go ride.
detroitjohnny

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments