Northern: Midland City Forest

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: Midland City Forest

Postby Stick » April 1st, 2015, 5:48 pm

Anyone been out there since yesterday's snow melt? I was hoping to get a ride in before Thursday's rain.
Stick

Postby Stick » April 11th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Went out today and rode North Loop, South Loop and Gnu Loop. 98% of it is dry! There was some spots on the South loop that you need to walk around. Get out and ride!
Stick

Postby turbotoad » July 1st, 2015, 9:07 pm

Stopped to ride on my way downstate from Traverse City. Trails were great with very little mud at all. Lots of teenagers out hiking (summer camp outing?) and a few other riders out. Once again I seem to have screwed up following the signs because I ended up only covering 8.5 miles :x Every time I ride here I miss some turn or cut-off and can never seem to come to close to the 15 miles I got the first time I ever rode here :? Sooooooo many trails intersecting and splitting off, there has to be a better way to mark all the routes! Oh well, it was fun anyway even if shorter than planned.
turbotoad

Postby turbotoad » August 15th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Pretty much word for word as the post above ( going upstate instead) . But I did end up finding some new elevated features a a part of the South Loop I missed last time. Somehow still only managed 8.5 miles again :evil: I just can't seem to get the loops linked properly to get all of the available trail :cry:
The trails I did ride were in great condition.
turbotoad

Postby jlrotax583 » August 17th, 2015, 7:24 am

TT,
There is only 12.5-13mi of trail there.
What you may be doing is missing the last half of GNU loop and the Southeast part of the South Loop.
Its easy because the hair pin is on a downhill and the tendency is to keep rolling through and up the concrete climb. (which you do when on the South loop.)
You need to complete the tight hairpin at the bottom and then it takes you back up and back across the walking path.
Basically the GNU loop and the South share this little section of trail, even though the map shows they are separate.
This will take you back to where you entered GNU and then you need to take the connector back over to the Y to finsh South and North.
I have a Marked Map of what I described so PM me your email and I can send it to you.

Jon
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary and Semi-Official TC Gopher-MMCC/Stubway
jlrotax583

Postby turbotoad » August 17th, 2015, 7:00 pm

jlrotax583 wrote:TT,
There is only 12.5-13mi of trail there.
What you may be doing is missing the last half of GNU loop and the Southeast part of the South Loop.
Its easy because the hair pin is on a downhill and the tendency is to keep rolling through and up the concrete climb. (which you do when on the South loop.)
You need to complete the tight hairpin at the bottom and then it takes you back up and back across the walking path.
Basically the GNU loop and the South share this little section of trail, even though the map shows they are separate.
This will take you back to where you entered GNU and then you need to take the connector back over to the Y to finsh South and North.
I have a Marked Map of what I described so PM me your email and I can send it to you.

Jon

Yep..... just Compared my ride App to the trail map and that is exactly what i did. Missed the hairpin (vividly remember the concrete climb) and continued on South back to the West bridge to finish North at the parking lot.
turbotoad

Postby Faction24 » March 20th, 2016, 3:44 am

Anyone rode the trail this year just curious if it's worth a trip this time of year or not??

"Beer me now"
Faction24

Postby Zoo1424 » March 21st, 2016, 9:19 pm

Rode it tonight. I wouldn't make a special trip from out of the area right now, it's still pretty wet. Once it dries out, which takes a bit, then it's worth the trip.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby muttonmark » April 13th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Last night we basically rode the outer portions of all of the loops, with the exception of Frog Holler, as I was there a little over a week ago and it was pretty sloppy, so we didn't even attempt that ride. It's pretty sloppy in all of the usual spots right now and could really use a few days to dry out. I hate riding these low muddy trails right now because it is really tough on the trails themselves. But it felt great to finally get out this year, and hats off to Jim Crissman for the bank bridge that he had built which is sitting at the northern tip of the Gnu loop. He put a lot of hard work into that one.

Ride On Everyone!
muttonmark

Postby turbotoad » July 2nd, 2016, 9:16 pm

Rode on my way up North today. Really dry conditions made a lot of the corners pretty loose when pushed hard. Once AGAIN got turned around a number of times (even with new small plastic signs). There are just SO MANY intersecting trails and off-shoots. So also once AGAIN I missed a bunch of trail that I wanted to ride. But I think I finally figured out why.....I keep turning onto the East bridge instead of going straight (unaware you could go that way) until the West bridge, then connecting to the North loop back to the parking lot. So I'm missing a couple miles of trail :(

Also, looks like someone trimmed some of Gnu. Thanks to whoever was out there.

I saw a huge new wooden feature (curved raised section with a banked wall) off to my right a some point but never got to it. It must be on one of the sections that I keep missing.
turbotoad

Postby Zoo1424 » July 25th, 2016, 8:21 am

Big tree down early on the North loop. Maybe half a mile in.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions