NMMBA: Midland City Forest

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby ldeyoung » July 28th, 2007, 7:51 pm

Rode the trail for the first time ever - I can't believe it took us so long to find it! I think we rode almost everything - it was very well marked and completely dry. All the time and effort that has obviously gone into creating and maintaining this trail is much appreciated.
ldeyoung

Good trails, very dry

Postby Jim Looker » August 8th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Rode the north loop, south loop, and the gnu loop. all were very dry. It was my first time on the trails and I had a great ride. Thanks to everyone who's put effort into maintaining them
Jim Looker

Postby Mr_H » August 16th, 2007, 9:08 pm

This may seem like a stupid question, but can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to the Frog Holler part of the trail? I want to take my wife there this weekend, but the only way I know how to get there is through the North and South loops, which are too technical for a beginner like here...

Is there a close parking lot that I've missed?
Mr_H

Postby mysphyt » August 17th, 2007, 9:19 pm

There is a second parking area at the start of the Gnu Loop. It is at the end of a somewhat inconspicuous gravel road off of Eastman Avenue, right across from the Northeast Paint and Wallpaper store parking lot (next left after the Fairgrounds entrance if heading north from US-10). From this lot you can take the very easy and level ski trail behind the yellow vehicle barrier. Take it all the way until it turns a sharp right (about 1 mile), you'll actually be in the middle of the Frog Holler trail, get on the trail about 100 yards past the ski trail turn.
mysphyt

Postby Mr_H » September 2nd, 2007, 2:06 pm

Rode the north and south loops today for the first time in two weeks. They're in great shape, nice and fast (at least fast for me).

If the guy who stopped me on the way out to ask about the trails (first time there I guess) reads these forums I hope ya had a good time. I normally have a map with me, but didn't have one today. I'll make a note to carry a couple of spares in the future to hand out to newcomers:)
Mr_H

Trail Conditions

Postby dirtpo » September 6th, 2007, 11:16 am

I see I haven't updated the trail conditions since it all dried out last May. Hey, it's perfect! And Frog Holler is nicely broken in -- it's getting pretty fast. The leaves on the swamp maples are just starting to turn -- gorgeous time to be out.

I saw that one rider asked how to get to Frog Holler, our least technical loop, without riding the rest of the trail. Use the south lot, off Eastman Rd across from the paint store. From there, go straight west on the south boundary 2-track to where the road turns north. Frog Holler uses that 2-track for about 90 yards before and after the corner. Watch for the sign where the singletrack heads back into the woods about 90 yards after the corner. The loop is about 1.5 miles and great for beginners, but still fun for the rest of us.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Postby guitarslave » September 18th, 2007, 1:54 am

completely dry, and totally fun, going tomorrow and will update if needed
guitarslave

Postby mysphyt » October 9th, 2007, 6:19 am

All dry/mostly dry. "The trail is in perfect condition. The leaves are turning and a little rain recently has firmed up the sandy spots. IMBA trail care crew visit is scheduled for Nov 1-4. Go ride." -- dirtpo

What is the agenda for the IMBA trail crew? I looked through the volunteer forum and didn't see any work party announcements. Any public activities planned around this event?

Very, very cool that the IMBA TC is coming to Midland!
mysphyt

Postby paydirt_07 » October 20th, 2007, 8:39 am

I'm coming up to Midland on Sunday (10/21) to ride the Midland City Forest trail, with my son, for the first time. I was wondering if any locals could give me a heads up on the trail conditions, since all the rain this week. From earlier posts, it seems like it drains well. Thanks for any input. :)
paydirt_07

Postby mysphyt » October 20th, 2007, 11:03 am

paydirt_07 wrote:I'm coming up to Midland on Sunday (10/21) to ride the Midland City Forest trail, with my son, for the first time. I was wondering if any locals could give me a heads up on the trail conditions, since all the rain this week. From earlier posts, it seems like it drains well. Thanks for any input. :)

I would expect the trail to be in good condition tomorrow, last weekend things were totally dry and we haven't had enough rain here to change it much. I'll be going there this afternoon and will post if different.
mysphyt

Postby paydirt_07 » October 20th, 2007, 12:47 pm

mysphyt wrote:
paydirt_07 wrote:I'm coming up to Midland on Sunday (10/21) to ride the Midland City Forest trail, with my son, for the first time. I was wondering if any locals could give me a heads up on the trail conditions, since all the rain this week. From earlier posts, it seems like it drains well. Thanks for any input. :)

I would expect the trail to be in good condition tomorrow, last weekend things were totally dry and we haven't had enough rain here to change it much. I'll be going there this afternoon and will post if different.

Thanks, mysphyt. Looking forward to a great day of trail riding. :)
paydirt_07

Postby mysphyt » October 20th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Just got back from riding the north and south loops. Trail is dry and in good condition. Several trees down accross the south loop along the creek. Two are at the bottom of quick downhill sections. One has been made rideable the other is not so be careful.
mysphyt

Postby paydirt_07 » October 22nd, 2007, 6:40 am

Rode trail for the first time, on Sunday (10/21). Trail conditions were good. We had a really good ride and enjoyed the trail very much.
On my second partial loop, I jambed my front into some soft dirt, bunny hopping off the side end of the teeter-totter and endoed. It was my own fault b/c I was a little tired & was not totally paying attention to what I was doing. :oops: I bruised some ribs, but I will be ok after a little recovery.
Overall, it's a great trail and well worth the drive! :)
paydirt_07

Postby Creamy » November 5th, 2007, 11:47 am

I unfortunately seem to always hit this trail in the spring when it seems half of it is under water.
Well I got to ride it yesterday, OMG! I had so much fun, this is really a fun technical trail system and obviously loved and cared for... All the technical stuff is a blast, especially the teeter-totter, all the log climbs, bridges, etc.
Got to really utilize my FSR!
The trail was in fabulous shape, I think I will try to focus my future visits on the late summer, fall next year!
Good Job on the trail to the folks working hard to maintain it!
Cheers
C
Copper Ridge Riders Association:
Creamy

Postby guitarslave » November 29th, 2007, 4:33 pm

just went this afternoon, the winds this week have taken their toll because there are many MANY trees down, including a large one that fell onto the West Bridge. the structure of the bridge seems to be okay and you can walk your bike across but the railing is pretty messed up. PM me you guys are planing a clean-up day and i'll try to make it out. there's also alot of trees down on the south-loop section, some more intrusive then others... just keep your eyes ahead and you'll be fine. some changes have been made to the south loop creek section as well, some nice fixes it seems except that one log pile at the bottom of the hill just before the creek... i swear i'm going to kill myself on that thing :P
my first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man...
my first allegiance is not to democracy or blood...
but to a king and a kingdom
guitarslave

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments