NMMBA: Midland City Forest

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Good Fall Ridin

Postby Jake168 » September 27th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Rode the trails through Midland City Forest today. The trails are still in good condition and the weather was nice--sunny and 70. Nobody else was there that I saw and I rode it twice cause it was so much fun! Always enjoy the stunts and log climbs on this trail. JR :)
Jake168

Midland City Forest Trail conditions

Postby dirtpo » September 27th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Jake. I rode it Monday, after about a inch and a half of rain on Sunday, and was very pleased that there was NO MUD. The trail really soaks up the water this time of year. I picked sticks on the Gnu loop last week, and got the bigger stuff off the rest on subsequent rides, but it would be great if everyone who rode the trail would think in terms of stopping 2-3 times in every post-storm ride to chuck branches and spoke jumpers off the trail.

About a month ago, and maybe 2 weeks after a big blow that gave me a couple of chainsaw jobs on the trail, I heard leaves suddenly rustling loudly above me as I rode the first mile of the North Loop. I stopped and looked back and saw a BIG oak branch -- maybe 6" at the base and 25 ft long -- hanging above the trail. As I stood there contemplating how to deal with it, it came crashing down and punched a deep hole in the middle of the trail. I walked back and dragged it off, thinking about close calls and blind luck. I restraddled my bike and was preparing to go when a guy came ripping down the trail and hollered "TRAIL" at me as he approached and flew by without another word. Trail indeed.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Midland City Forest

Postby dirtpo » March 17th, 2007, 12:25 pm

I've walked the north loop and most of the south in the last couple of days, picking up sticks and taking stock. There is still a fair amount of ice and snow on the trail, and several areas where it is flooded. Please don't ride it for at least a couple of weeks :( . Also, the west bridge took a hit during the snow melt flood. There is a log jam against it and it's near dropping into the creek at the south end. I've contacted the city about fixing it.

A work party is scheduled for Sat., April 14, at 1:00. The city has already dropped off fresh loads of stone and gravel. There are several mud holes on the list for repair. Laying down a layer of the big rock (4-6" limestone) followed by a layer of crushed limestone gravel makes a permanent fix for the problem mudholes. Besure to install a drainpipe if water wants to flow across the trail. The Appalacian armoring method with the broken concrete is still best for anyplace with seasonal water flow over the trail or for steep slopes, but we won't have any more of that material until the sidewalk repair season gets underway.
Dirtpo

There is no society in recorded history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable. Sam Harris
dirtpo

Postby Diesel » March 23rd, 2007, 11:12 am

Any significant change in the trail conditions since the last post??? I'm going to be in Midland over the weekend and thought I'd try to ride the trail if it has dried up or refrozen.

(No, I'm not optomistic...just hopeful.)
W.W.M.D.D.
What would Matt Damon do???

www.teamsandbag.com
Diesel

Postby Dennis Bauer » March 23rd, 2007, 11:49 am

I have not been out there, but given the amount of rain we have had I would avoid it. This is a very low area to begin with and we have had flood warnings in the area the last couple of days.
Dennis Bauer

Midland City Forest trail conditions

Postby dirtpo » March 24th, 2007, 9:41 am

Dennis is right. I know without even going to the trail that it's a soggy mess right now. The woods around my house are filled with standing water, and the field on the north side of my house has 2 acres of water with ducks swimming in it. The skate park downtown is an island in the Tittibawassee river. Don't even think about riding the trail this weekend. There is still frost in the ground, so it won't drain quickly. Give it at least another 2 weeks, depending on temperature and additional rain.
Dirtpo

dirtpo

New trail at MCF

Postby dirtpo » April 13th, 2007, 8:26 am

Last weekend we completed an almost half mile extension of the South Loop along the creek. This week we've laid out the first 3/4+ mile of a new loop in the SW part of the park. We'll finish that tomorrow. Meet at the main parking lot on Monroe at 1:00 PM, Saturday, April 14, to help with that effort. We'll also be fixing some problem mud areas with stone and gravel.
We'll be laying out the return portion of that new loop next week, with a work party planned to finish it next Sunday, April 22, 1:00 PM, also meeting at the parking area on Monroe. The new trail will bring the MCF singletrack total to about 13 miles. Remember to bring leather work gloves, eye protection, work boots, and a water bottle.
Current trail conditions are WET. There are ducks swimming in the hay field next to my house, so there will be a lot of water on the low parts of the trail. Give it at least a week. I can't wait. :D
Dirtpo

dirtpo

New loop coming -- but currently very wet

Postby dirtpo » April 13th, 2007, 8:43 am

We completed an almost 1/2 mile extension to the South Loop on the creek valley last weekend. And, we've laid out 3/4+ miles this week for a new loop in the SW part of the park. We'll finish that at a work party tomorrow, Sat, Apr 14, 1:00 PM. Meet at the MCF main lot on Monroe. Bring work gloves, boots, eye protection, a wheel barrow or leaf rake, and a water bottle.

We'll lay out the return portion of the new loop next week and plan to finish it at a work party next Sunday, April 22, 1:00 PM, also meeting at the main lot on Monroe. The new trail will bring the singletrack total to a little over 13 miles, I think. Bring work gloves, boots, eye protection, a leaf rake, and a water bottle. Naming suggestions for the new loop are welcome -- but keep it short, I have to rout the name into the signs!

Current trail conditions are WET :( . But today there is SUN! Be patient. There are ducks swimming in the hayfield next to my house. Give it a week. It's too muddy to ride, but it's perfect to build trail :D . See you out there.
Dirtpo

dirtpo

found at midland city forest

Postby hubedogg » April 23rd, 2007, 5:42 pm

Rode at Midland City Forest for first time and was very impressed. Nice work. It was a lot of fun I will definitely be back.

Also found an odometer/time keeper on the trail. P/M me if you lost one.
hubedogg

Postby Ack » May 18th, 2007, 2:14 am

How are the trail conditions lately Jim?
Ack

Postby Mr_H » June 16th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Rode the trail for the second time ever today. It's been very warm here for the past week (80s to 90s) with almost no rain, so the trail appears to be very rideable to me. Even though it's mostly shady, take lots of water.

The places where boards are laid down so you can ride over small mud puddles are all but dry, while some of the other spots that are traditionally soaked are only a bit damp. I ran into only a few spots were there was a lot of mud and that was only in the deep center.

There's still water around the Scout Bridge, but I swear it's lower then the last time I went.

The only 'issue' I ran into were a few sandy parts on the singletrack areas. If you see sand before one of those tree branch ramps (a large branch down with smaller limbs on either side to let you climb over), watch out. I slipped on a few of those and had to ditch (Course, I'm something of a beginner...)

Still lots of fun:)
Mr_H

Postby uncle jimmi » June 23rd, 2007, 9:48 pm

I rode most of the trail today and it was fast, fun, and completely dry.
I also enjoyed the music coming from the motorcycle rally at the fairgrounds 8)
It's Never too late for the ride of your life!
uncle jimmi

Postby Mr_H » July 1st, 2007, 7:25 pm

Rode the trail today and it's still in really good shape, very dry (in fact I dont think I found a single muddy spot other then the creek). I took my helmet cam out there and caught some (poor) footage of the trail, so sooner or later I'll post it so some others can see what we got here.

If someone's out there doing maintenance, one or two of the boards on the teetertotter seem to have come loose. It's not a huge deal right now, but if one got knocked off, I could see someone easily hitting the hole and having issues.
Mr_H

Midland City Forest

Postby Dennis Bauer » July 2nd, 2007, 9:13 am

Rode the trail yesterday with a new rider. Had a great time, this is the best condition I have ever seen the trail in. Jim and the crew have obviously put in a lot of time and effort with the armoring. The new trail additions and reroutes are great, Jim you have outdone yourself. We rode for nearly three hours and only saw one other rider on the trail. This is truely a mid Michigan gem, if you have not rode this trail you owe it to yourself to check it out. Trail is well marked so you shouldn't get lost. If your uncomfortable riding an unfamiliar trail, PM or e-mail me and I will gladly meet you out there if I am available. I will be riding there more often rather than traveling south.
Dennis Bauer

Postby Mr_H » July 7th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Went up there to ride today, met a new guy who was on his first time (Hi Don if you check these forums).

The trail is in pretty good shape. The places where you expect it to be muddy, it's got mud. The rest of it is dry to semi damp. I didn't have much splatter on me at all when I was done. After today's 90 degree day, it'll probably be back to all dry.
Mr_H

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments