Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby bleve » May 5th, 2015, 1:03 am

I discovered there's a more robust log pile now on the main trail, but it's not a long lasting job. Would be a nice addition if done properly.

gtrowbridge wrote:Thanks for the update bleve. We'll get out there to chain saw it this week.

WMMBA Ionia SRA Trail Coordinater
bleve

Postby gtrowbridge » May 5th, 2015, 7:10 am

Wow must have been a while since you rode Ionia. Think that log pile is about 5 yrs old. God knows there is enough dead ash (thanks EAB) to probably build more.

Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby bleve » May 7th, 2015, 4:06 pm

No, I meant on the down tree that's across the trail. Someone attempted to make it rideable. I remember the log pile a little farther on.

gtrowbridge wrote:Wow must have been a while since you rode Ionia. Think that log pile is about 5 yrs old. God knows there is enough dead ash (thanks EAB) to probably build more.

bleve

Postby gtrowbridge » May 7th, 2015, 8:38 pm

Gotcha. I'll evaluate it and see if there are some possibilities.

"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 26th, 2015, 7:41 am

Just a reminder there is a Trail Day scheduled for this Saturday 9am -12pm at the trails.
We will be relocating sign posts and installing others.
Also some string trimming and shrub triming.
We will have the WMMBA tool trail available for our use.

Free lunch.

Let me know if you are planning on attending so I can have a head count.

Thanks.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » June 10th, 2015, 7:32 am

Many new sign posts were put in at intersections on the east and west loop.
More to come.

Additionally mowing has started with focus on the west loop. Parts of the east loop probably good, some bad.
Trying to get out there as schedule allows.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » Yesterday, 7:25 am

Mowing complete on west loop.
Asked DNR if they would hit some of the woody areas with a crew of string trimmers this week too.
East loop has yet to be mowed so I would avoid that for now until further notice (its almost all grass meadows).
Additionally a full on assault is being waged this year (continued from last year) against the poison ivy that is now encroaching the trail (thank you EAB for killing ash trees and creating the perfect growing platform for ivy...like we didn't have enough work to do).
gtrowbridge

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments