Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » August 29th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Trees cleared.
Trail beautiful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby bleve » September 3rd, 2015, 1:40 pm

Rode last night and there's a tree down across the trail just before the built drop along the rail trail.
bleve

Postby gtrowbridge » September 3rd, 2015, 3:07 pm

Thanks we'll get on it.

"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » September 12th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Trees cleared

gtrowbridge

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 19th, 2015, 6:23 pm

I rode some of the trail today. A little wet, wasn't muddy where I rode. I did the entire rail trail from Saranac to downtown Ionia. Ran into a minor issue on the way back. I parked at the beach, but a few people almost were not going to allow me to pass though the gate. A dog trial run was going on. I explained I was going back to the beach parking lot. I guess they thought I was going to ride that field. They let me go saying I had ten minutes to get off the dirt road, which was pretty easy. Does this happen often there? I know there's a couple lots on the north side, but I prefer parking at the beach.
Steve_Balogh

Postby gtrowbridge » September 19th, 2015, 8:40 pm

I will speak to the DNR about it. Everyone has free passage.

gtrowbridge

Postby Steve_Balogh » September 19th, 2015, 9:09 pm

Most of the people at the park were equestrians, they actually opened the gate for me when I was headed out. Saw lots of horses still there coming back, but they were all in the parking lot. I wonder if they were all done riding, or waiting for the dogs to finish.

Also at the trail entrance were a lot of birds that do not fly well - Partridges, Grouse? Pretty cool.
Steve_Balogh

Postby gtrowbridge » September 19th, 2015, 9:22 pm

No matter. I will make sure the DNR reinforces our passage through there. Its vital to get people into the park to enjoy all of the resources the park has to offer.

Probably partridges is what you saw. Population seems to be on a rebound.

gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » September 23rd, 2015, 9:11 am

From the DNR
"OK, thank you. That would have been a West MI dog club. I’ll talk with them and make sure they change the way they handle things. "
"They know better than to tell someone they can’t go in. They get upset when the gates are left open by bikers or hikers because that allows a point for their dogs to get out on the road and possibly be run over. They’ve even tried to lock the gates during trials but as soon as I caught wind of that it was put to a quick end. They are supposed to explain if there is a dog running and ask for someone to wait until the dog has cleared the area (just so the dog doesn’t get distracted). But they know they do not have any right to keep someone from using the trails or going through the gates."

So bottom line is there are multiple user groups in the park, and if they communicate properly their intentions, all is well.

Thanks for handling it courteously Steve. As always you're a great MTB ambassador.
gtrowbridge

Postby utabintarbo » November 11th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Metric *beep* of leaves and deadfall on the low side of the ridge. Top of ridge was, if anything, a bit dusty.

First time at this trail. Seemed like we missed a bit due to the ferkakte bridge. Are there plans to fix that?
Addison Oaks TC

Latest additions to the quiver:
2010 Black Sheep Stellar
2011 Carver Fat Bike
2010 Jones Spaceframe
2013 Carver Trans-Fat
2012 Surly Krampus

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby SteveF » December 31st, 2015, 10:37 am

How would Ionia be for fat biking tomorrow/friday?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby gtrowbridge » December 31st, 2015, 11:58 am

SteveF wrote:How would Ionia be for fat biking tomorrow/friday?

Great! Assuming the snow stays frozen. The ice/snow had made for a firm base. Albeit not thick.

gtrowbridge

Postby jat07 » April 20th, 2016, 6:37 am

Any updates on trail conditions?
jat07

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments