Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby underdog » April 2nd, 2012, 2:55 pm

Yeah, it's been our little secret for years :D
I didn't get out there over the weekend, but when I drove by I saw 4 cars with bike racks, so at least it's getting used more this year,
probably due to the new trail cordinator, THANK YOU !
underdog

Postby gtrowbridge » April 9th, 2012, 9:01 am

Road saturday.
Trail was in great shape.
For whatever reason there a huge speed sucking mudhole has developed on the west loop just past the bridge in the woods.
I've got something for that.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » April 19th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Trail is in great shape. Little moist on the east loop but not bad. Those slick muddy areas still persist near the rail trail/sessions creek.
I'm focusing on the west loop pretty much so those are going to wait.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 14th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Trail still in great shape.
Put down some new log bridges over the mud hole on the west loop just past the little plank bridge.
East loop was in much better shape and getting better every dry day we have. Moist areas are much smaller.

Some face slappers are starting to appear so be aware of those. Hopefully the volunteer Ionia TCC will make a few rounds soon to get those.

Looking to be out there mowing down the grassy parts this weekend so don't run me over (you should be able to hear the tractor).
gtrowbridge

Postby talking head » May 20th, 2012, 5:38 am

First time ever on this trail, pefect sunset ride last night. Trail is in great shape, super fun, thanks for mowing.
talking head

Postby gtrowbridge » May 20th, 2012, 2:51 pm

talking head wrote:First time ever on this trail, pefect sunset ride last night. Trail is in great shape, super fun, thanks for mowing.

Glad you like it. Got the rest of the trail mower today so its all done for a while.
Time to focus on some invasive species removal (future face slappers).
gtrowbridge

Postby rvd » May 22nd, 2012, 12:40 pm

On my way back home from GRR airport yesterday, I stopped here for a much needed ride. The trail is in fantastic condition really. Many flowers out, so generally a great time to enjoy this trail.

Having ridden Ionia only once previously, I had forgotten how different this trail is from most others. The beginner loop has some fun rock carpets/gardens, a few fast flowy sections, and a lot of tight corners that are hard to judge the right (maximum) speed for. The intermediate loop has two distinctly different parts. The first half almost entirely in lush forest, with nice up and downs and a few features; the fast and flowing way back is through grassland/gravelly trail bed.

I was surprised to see no one has used Strava here yet... Here are new segments for the Beginner Loop and the Intermediate Loop. Some more people with Strava must have ridden this, surely? Time to upload your best laps!

[EDIT: added another segment for the complete trail system, including both Beginner and Intermediate Loops]
Last edited by rvd on May 22nd, 2012, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvd

Postby gtrowbridge » May 22nd, 2012, 2:22 pm

rvd wrote:On my way back home from GRR airport yesterday, I stopped here for a much needed ride. The trail is in fantastic condition really. Many flowers out, so generally a great time to enjoy this trail.

Having ridden Ionia only once previously, I had forgotten how different this trail is from most others. The beginner loop has some fun rock carpets/gardens, a few fast flowy sections, and a lot of tight corners that are hard to judge the right (maximum) speed for. The intermediate loop has two distinctly different parts. The first half almost entirely in lush forest, with nice up and downs and a few features; the fast and flowing way back is through grassland/gravelly trail bed.

I was surprised to see no one has used Strava here yet... Here are new segments for the Beginner Loop and the Intermediate Loop. Some more people with Strava must have ridden this, surely? Time to upload your best laps!

Glad you got a chance to ride it again!

And thanks for the Strava updates! I have profiles from my GPS but never thought about posting them as I use it for trail maintenance and such. Plus the Strava is just better for this forum I think.

Thanks again!

Bring some friends next time.
gtrowbridge

Postby underdog » May 23rd, 2012, 10:03 am

I use a different app, see link. You're much faster than I am, but this was my first time out this year as well.
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/104122376
underdog

Postby rvd » May 23rd, 2012, 10:46 am

underdog wrote:I use a different app, see link. You're much faster than I am, but this was my first time out this year as well.
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/workout/104122376

There are many apps out there that allow one to post and keep track of Gps logs. Strava is unique among these in that it builds virtual leader boards by comparing Gps tracks of all registered users. See for example this segment of Luton (black loop): http://app.strava.com/segments/655431. It is a fun and motivating way of comparing your best times with friends and perfect strangers.
rvd

Postby SLOWWRYDE » June 5th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Hey all, I'm new to this site/forum. Just wanted to update the condition of Ionia's trail. In a nut shell...awesome. Great shape lots of fun and challenging. I have not rode in many years ( raced bmx from 2000 to 2004, marrage, school) I have ridden the trail the last two days and loved it. I am way out of shape and my bike is old (1996 GT LTS) but I am getting back up to speed. Hope to see you out there!
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby SLOWWRYDE » June 5th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Trail is in great shape. Rode twice in the last couple of days after a 8 year haitis. I forgot how much fun this was, and vow to ride my butt off this year!
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby gtrowbridge » June 6th, 2012, 3:18 pm

SLOWWRYDE wrote:Trail is in great shape. Rode twice in the last couple of days after a 8 year haitis. I forgot how much fun this was, and vow to ride my butt off this year!

Excellent Slowwryde. Glad to hear you are back and enjoying Ionia.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » June 18th, 2012, 7:38 am

Some more trail work done this weekend.
Removal of some invasive species that were crowding the trail and some face slappers.
gtrowbridge

Postby SLOWWRYDE » June 19th, 2012, 9:03 am

Rode Ionia again this morning. Still a few face slappers, but not terrible. The worst part was the horse flies. Gtrowbridge, would you mind if I cut back some slappers?
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions