Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » July 11th, 2011, 9:07 am

Oh and the conditions that made it perfect for mosquitoes in the spring are apparently the same great conditions for the deer flys now.
They are thick out there!
Wear your deep woods deet if you have any thought of stopping along the trail.
Ride fast if not.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » July 14th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Downed tree cut.
Trail fully open.
Now you can reach maximum speed.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » July 18th, 2011, 12:08 pm

There is an adventure race that will be using the trails on July 30th as part of their event.
Please plan accordingly.

If you are interested in participating check here:
http://apexoutdoorgear.com/groove.html

I have no info other than this as it was just made known to me today.

Thanks.
gtrowbridge

Re: Western: Ionia - Trail Maintenance?

Postby nbaes » July 22nd, 2011, 7:16 pm

Hey George,

I was kind of out of the mountain biking thing for the past ten years or so, but have gotten back into it. Ionia is my local trail and I love riding it - the ladders over the sand right before the switchback are a really nice change from when I was last riding there around 2001. Since this is my local trail, and the one I use BY FAR the most often, I feel kind of guilty to be using it but not really doing much on the upkeep; how does trail maintenance work? Do you have a specific day where everyone just shows up and waits for your orders? Reading your posts, I feel extremely guilty since most of them seem to have to do with you driving out there and doing some onerous task or another.

Thanks!
nbaes

Postby gtrowbridge » July 24th, 2011, 6:23 am

In the past two years almost all the trail maintenance has been done by me and a couple of friends as we try and establish "what" needs to be done and what works best. Maintenance is being done year round to make it easier on any given day.

This year I'm setting up a Adopt a Trail program with the DNR utilizing several folks that partake in the Wednesday ride out of Dan's Bike shop in Ionia that Gary Ferguson manages, plus a few others from the area.

Pretty simple really. I put your name on the list for the DNR so they know who is doing maintenance. We decide on a 1/2 mile segment (or more if you want) to maintain. Maintenance includes trimming back the brush and pokey things to the edge of the trail corridor, string trimming certain areas that I can't get to with the tractor to mow (if you have access to one), and just clearing downed sticks and branches. You contact me when you are going out there (phone or email goes right to my cell), and I let the DNR know. You carry a "use permit" that shows you are authorized to do maintenance if questioned.
Afterwards you let me know how many hours you've spent out there maintaining and I compile that to show the DNR how much volunteer work is being done as opposed to using tax dollars.

No need to trim what the tractor can mow.
Can't use chainsaws (I'm only one authorized) but that would only be for big stuff.

Eventually, upon receiving approval, we'll be adding re-routes and new trail segments of which you can be involved with. These would be more organized into trail days.

PM me your contact info or email me at gtrowbridge@yahoo.com and I can add you to the list.
gtrowbridge

Postby Mr Wonderful » August 2nd, 2011, 11:22 am

gtrowbridge wrote:There is an adventure race that will be using the trails on July 30th as part of their event.
Please plan accordingly.

I think we were all out of the way before dawn. I was one of the last through and it was still black when I headed off towards Saranac.

Nice work - we were told to expect a downed tree, but I saw what looked to be a recently cut one out of the way. Thanks!

I wish I had been more alert and energetic to hit the optional features.
Mr Wonderful

Postby gtrowbridge » August 6th, 2011, 6:44 am

Mr Wonderful wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:There is an adventure race that will be using the trails on July 30th as part of their event.
Please plan accordingly.

I think we were all out of the way before dawn. I was one of the last through and it was still black when I headed off towards Saranac.

Nice work - we were told to expect a downed tree, but I saw what looked to be a recently cut one out of the way. Thanks!

I wish I had been more alert and energetic to hit the optional features.

Glad you enjoyed it. Tell your friends and come back in the daylight.
We are constantly adding stuff and trying to improve it.
gtrowbridge

Postby bleve » August 7th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Just got home from camping out there, but never got a chance to hit the trails with the two plus hours of downpour yesterday. Hopefully no new damage. I figured they might need a little chance to recover then we left today when it looked like there was more rain coming. I'll be back out there next weekend for a family reunion, hopefully I can sneak away for an hour.
bleve

Postby gtrowbridge » August 8th, 2011, 9:28 am

bleve wrote:Just got home from camping out there, but never got a chance to hit the trails with the two plus hours of downpour yesterday. Hopefully no new damage. I figured they might need a little chance to recover then we left today when it looked like there was more rain coming. I'll be back out there next weekend for a family reunion, hopefully I can sneak away for an hour.

Cool. Yeah the adventure race folks last weekend reported it was quite muddy in the woods on the west loop. There are spots that I believe have had their springs replenished this year which are becoming mud holes.
I'm sure most of the trail is in good condition even with the rain.

The mud holes are going to be fixed soon.

I fear that the mosquitoes have had their stock replenished now with all the rain. :roll:
gtrowbridge

Postby rvd » August 14th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Rode here today for the first time. Fun trail. A few mud holes, slick spots, and slippery corners, but in good condition overall.
rvd

Postby gtrowbridge » August 15th, 2011, 8:13 am

Trail mowing completed this weekend.

As RVD said there is some muddy areas in the woods.
Fun solution for some of these forthcoming.
gtrowbridge

Postby bleve » August 15th, 2011, 1:31 pm

Was only out there Saturday and we got rained on twice so no ride (at least I got a nice hike around the lake with my dog). Bike chain is slipping badly too so it's a good thing I didn't push it. Did hear from a friend that he found it rideable and enjoyable last week though.
bleve

Postby gtrowbridge » August 22nd, 2011, 8:24 pm

If you didn't ride Ionia tonight you missed out.
The trail is in near perfect condition.
The deer flys are done.
The mosquitos seem to have been knocked back by the cold temps at night.
The mud holes have all but dryed up...at least they aren't soupy anymore.
The temps were right on.

There is a huge dead wood chuck right next to the tread in the clearing right after the downhill of the first hill. Hopefully some scavenger will make off with the carcass tonight.

The large tree top that has been hanging over our heads has now fallen onto the trail and is blocking it. This is in the dry woods prior to the second big hill.
I'll get that cut up this week so it is open for the weekend.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » August 26th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Tree cleared.
Trails great.
Ride ride ride!
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » September 11th, 2011, 6:12 am

I see a lot of new faces out at the trail head which is great!

Make sure that you come out to checkout the new trail head kiosk.
It's monolithic!

Thanks Noah Yonker, soon to be eagle scout, for building the new standard in state park kiosks!
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions