Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby EASYSTEEZ » April 23rd, 2013, 1:51 pm

It might be a blessing in disguise. The bridge needed some work anyway, and this might light a fire under the DNR's butt...as soon as the water recedes. In the meantime, I accessed the East loop via the rail trail and shoots that George cut last year. Ride the East loop then catch the rail trail to the boat launch road and catch the West loop there...no problem!
"Some men die and leave their mark, others just leave a stain."[b][b][/b][/b]
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » April 23rd, 2013, 2:14 pm

EASYSTEEZ wrote:It might be a blessing in disguise. The bridge needed some work anyway, and this might light a fire under the DNR's butt...as soon as the water recedes. In the meantime, I accessed the East loop via the rail trail and shoots that George cut last year. Ride the East loop then catch the rail trail to the boat launch road and catch the West loop there...no problem!

Oh no argument there. It was just a matter of time.
Unfortunately the DNR has so much red tape to get through to get a new bridge (case in point their 5 year now missing hiking bridge) that they aren't looking forward to moving forward themselves on this bridge.
The good thing is that they are willing to let the MMBA help out. So we can be more involved with what works (and what will last) for our trail users. Plus the nice thing is the DNR is always willing to give money away to folks that can help them out on the parks and rec areas.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » May 14th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Good news. Water holes off the backside of the parking lot are gone. Replaced with mud but not too deep. Rode through it easily.
There are 3 mud holes that are quit wet on the west loop after the switchback and before the shortcut. Worse than last year I think. Very greasy so keep yor speed up to plow through. No good way around. I'll get some log bridges made up for those.

On the east loop all the water is gone and almost all the mud. The trail rides really nice. Some of the bridges that were covering a low are got washed out so just go through the grass there. Little water or mud so you won't loose much time. We'll get those back into place with some repairs as well.

The big bridge over sessions creek is of course still out so continue to use the railtrail to connect the two loops. We'll be making some improvements there too so to help carry more speed when entering and exiting.

The DNR has checked out the bridge and we are all working on ideas for a permanent fix. In the meantime we are looking at clearing some brush on either end of where it currently sits and adding some ramps. Actually it might end up being a pretty cool obstacle.

Other than this stuff Ionia is riding like always...roots, rocks, and raggedy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby EASYSTEEZ » June 1st, 2013, 8:11 am

Rode both loops yesterday. Really, really needs to be mowed and trimmed. The mud holes on the west loop have gotten worse. I'll try to get out this weekend and do some work.
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » June 4th, 2013, 10:54 am

I have acquired some wood for bridging the mud holes on the west loop.
Getting things in order so as to start mowing out there.
First cutting is always the worst.
gtrowbridge

Postby EASYSTEEZ » June 13th, 2013, 3:04 pm

The east loop is completely devoid of face slappers and ankle scratchers. Grass is pretty high, but we are working on it. All eight miles should be riding beautiful by the end of the month, but don't let that stop you...go ride it today!
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » June 15th, 2013, 8:33 pm

East loop all mowed including the railtrail access.
Beginning and end of west loop mowed.

Awesome trimming job on the east loop by the way.

Looking to now rest of west loop tomorrow.

gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » June 17th, 2013, 8:58 am

Most of the west loop mowed.
Many a face slapper on the west side. Certainly in need of some invasive species control. :)
Woods areas were greasy at best and had standing water in many spots with the rain we got saturday night.
I don't not expect that the mud holes are any better.
gtrowbridge

Postby EASYSTEEZ » June 18th, 2013, 8:10 pm

The east loop is in awesome shape. (thanks George!) I plan on doing some trimming on the west side this Sunday. Despite the rain last night I think the mud holes have actually gotten better. I'll work on those too.
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » June 18th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Cool. Just finished up the west loop mowing tonight.

gtrowbridge

Postby EASYSTEEZ » June 23rd, 2013, 4:11 pm

Put in four hours trimming on the west loop this morning. Looking good, but got a long ways to go.
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » June 24th, 2013, 8:15 am

EASYSTEEZ wrote:Put in four hours trimming on the west loop this morning. Looking good, but got a long ways to go.

Thanks.
What sections of the trail did you target?
gtrowbridge

Postby EASYSTEEZ » June 24th, 2013, 6:30 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:
EASYSTEEZ wrote:Put in four hours trimming on the west loop this morning. Looking good, but got a long ways to go.

Thanks.

I trimmed the west loop from the boat launch road to the board walks in the sandy area. The "tunnel" of overgrowth before the sandy area took me forever! I feel like I did not get too far, but I will not quit! I am thinking a gas powered hedge trimmer would be the cat's ass...or maybe napalm!

I may get out there again Thursday.
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » June 25th, 2013, 8:25 am

EASYSTEEZ wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:

Thanks.

I trimmed the west loop from the boat launch road to the board walks in the sandy area. The "tunnel" of overgrowth before the sandy area took me forever! I feel like I did not get too far, but I will not quit! I am thinking a gas powered hedge trimmer would be the cat's ass...or maybe napalm!

I may get out there again Thursday.

That section is a bear. No if you got that section trimmed up you hit one of the worst sections for overgrowth on the west loop. When I get the chance I would like to put together a small work crew and remove almost all of that because it is autumn olive and we fight it at least twice a year. There are at least two other sections on the west loop that I would like to target like this.

No doubt gas hedge trimmer would be the best.

Roundup is like napalm and once we cut the *beep* things down we paint them with full strength agricultural concentrate roundup. They don't come back.

Got your hours logged. So far you have everyone beat.

Looks like rain rest of the week.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » June 27th, 2013, 9:45 am

FYI about the River Valley Rail Trail.
CONSTRUCTION IS TO BEGIN!!!!
Finally. On July 15th.
They anticipate being done with the section between Saranac and Ionia by November 15th.
This is great news as those of us in the area will be able to start at the Saranac trail depot and go all the way to the Burger King in Ionia.

They will probably be staging some equipment and maybe materials in the trailhead parking lot due to its access via the river access road to the trail.
The parking lot is huge but just remember this.

There are 4 other parking lots along riverside that you can park at to access the trail if we run into congestion issues at the trail head (yeah I'm dreaming).

Look for the bridge, yes bridge, across M66 in Ionia to be complete next year so you can continue the rail trail to Owasso.
I believe Lowell to Belding and Lowell to Saranac on the River Valley Railtrail is to be completed this year as well but haven't gotten anything for sure on that.
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments