Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby Shaguardriver » November 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Western section is in great shape. Almost on the dry side if it were not for the slippery leaves.
Shaguardriver

Postby Shaguardriver » November 7th, 2012, 11:46 am

Why is there not an Eastern section or have I missed it? Anyways it was a little GREASY in a few spots not mushy yet but with another good rain it will be...
Last edited by Shaguardriver on November 7th, 2012, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaguardriver

Postby gtrowbridge » November 7th, 2012, 11:53 am

Shaguardriver wrote:Why is there not an Eastern section or have I missed it? Anyways it was a little gays in a few spots not mushy yet but with another good rain it will be...

East loop is on the east side of sessions creek just over the bridge.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Shaguardriver » November 7th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Thanks for the response but I helped build the trail I know where it is located :p I did not see a thread for the eastern section for trail conditions.

LOL I love spell check on the iPad.. GREASY
Last edited by Shaguardriver on November 7th, 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaguardriver

Postby gtrowbridge » November 7th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Shaguardriver wrote:Thanks for the response but I helped build the trail I know where it is located :p I did not see a thread for the eastern section for trail conditions.

LOL I love spell check on the iPad.. GREASY

AH HA! I get it now! Yeah WESTERN is short for Western Chapter of the MMBA...actually called wMMBA or Western MI Mountain Bike Alliance now that it is an IMBA chapter. Not short for the west loop.
I was wondering what you were trying to say. I figured it meant greasy based on your description. Sounds like your iPad is afflicted with the same problem my phone has.

That poor east loop just can't take much rain. Its so flat in spots and just lacks the gravel that the west loop has. Just doesn't drain. Perhaps a rebuild is in order in some spots in the future to squeeze out some more distance and get out of some of the wetter areas.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby slaterbj » November 12th, 2012, 10:26 am

I rode the trail yesterday, and it was in good shape. There are (3) trees down that I would like to get cutout this week if I have a chance.

The most disturbing thing that happened, other than me crashing because of the deep leaves, was the guy shooting a handgun down the trail. He was near marker 10 off the main road just screwing around. He was in his 60's, and seemed not to care that there were about 6 of us on the trail he was shooting down. I have zero idea if he can legally do this, but I did find it scary. At the very least I think he was asking for a reckless firearm discharge ticket. I talked to him and told him that there were others on the trail, but he didn't seem to care. I told him at the very least to move down 15' to his left and shoot into the sand hill. Needless to say I only did that single lap and then left.
On two wheels or in the air I am always flying
slaterbj

Postby gtrowbridge » November 12th, 2012, 11:22 am

slaterbj wrote:I rode the trail yesterday, and it was in good shape. There are (3) trees down that I would like to get cutout this week if I have a chance.

The most disturbing thing that happened, other than me crashing because of the deep leaves, was the guy shooting a handgun down the trail. He was near marker 10 off the main road just screwing around. He was in his 60's, and seemed not to care that there were about 6 of us on the trail he was shooting down. I have zero idea if he can legally do this, but I did find it scary. At the very least I think he was asking for a reckless firearm discharge ticket. I talked to him and told him that there were others on the trail, but he didn't seem to care. I told him at the very least to move down 15' to his left and shoot into the sand hill. Needless to say I only did that single lap and then left.

Thanks for reporting. I have never heard of this happening before but I have informed the DNR and asked for more patrols.
Thanks for talking to him too. Anymore information like a license plate is very helpful.

Unfortunately some of the local "old guard" still think they can go out and shoot anything anywhere they want.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » November 12th, 2012, 12:51 pm

From the DNR:

"Wow! It is not legal to target shoot in the rec. area ever! Let your people know this please. If they come across someone target shooting have them call the office (616) 527-3750, if no one answers have them leave a message and then call Ionia County Sheriff central dispatch (616) 527-8822 (or 911) and report it to them. They can contact the local CO (conservation officer) to respond. The only target shooting should be at the posse house and by sheriff personnel only. We do not recommend confronting an armed person for obvious reasons but if you think you can get a description of the person or their vehicle please do so and report it to us or central dispatch."
gtrowbridge

Postby SLOWWRYDE » November 17th, 2012, 5:44 pm

I hiked the entire trail this afternoon and removed all of the fallen trees with my trusty bow saw and good ol' man muscle. While I was at it, I picked up all of the trash along the way too. Trail is good to go!
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby gtrowbridge » November 17th, 2012, 7:18 pm

SLOWWRYDE wrote:I hiked the entire trail this afternoon and removed all of the fallen trees with my trusty bow saw and good ol' man muscle. While I was at it, I picked up all of the trash along the way too. Trail is good to go!

Ha! You musta been out there right after me. Got the downed trees cut up this morning.
gtrowbridge

Postby SLOWWRYDE » November 17th, 2012, 9:33 pm

You missed a few!
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby gtrowbridge » November 19th, 2012, 11:14 am

Also opened up this weekend another rail trail access to the west end of the east loop.
Pretty rustic right now but open.

Drops you into the trail just before it starts hugging the bluff above sessions creek.
gtrowbridge

Postby EASYSTEEZ » April 4th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Pressed for time, I only rode the East loop. Little spongey, muddy, but in good shape. I will report on the West loop this weekend when I ride.
"Some men die and leave their mark, others just leave a stain."[b][b][/b][/b]
EASYSTEEZ

Postby gtrowbridge » April 15th, 2013, 8:36 am

All lower area around sessions creek off the north and east side of the parking lot...flooded and under water.

Access the west trail only via the dirt road that leads down to the grand river (gated).
Access the east trail via the rail trail.

East loop has standing water on the the flat parts of the trail, some mud on lower areas.

West loop has mud holes on the first 1/4 of it in the woods, mainly when you get closer to the pond.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » April 18th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Well we lost the bridge over sessions creek with this latest flooding rain.

It was built by the DNR so I would expect that they will replace it...sometime. In the meantime once the flood waters recede (may? June?) we'll survey the damage and see if we can't come up with a work around to maintain the flow. Regardless east loop still accessible via rail trail.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments