Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby gtrowbridge » July 31st, 2012, 11:17 am

SLOWWRYDE wrote:Rode the trail this morning, and had to remove some fallen limbs from the storm last night. There is one huge limb that will have to be cut out right around the 3.4 mile mark on the yellow loop. Other than that all is good. I did not ride the brown loop so I dont know what, if anything, is on the ground over there.

Okay thanks. I'll get to it this week.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » July 31st, 2012, 11:21 am

Slowwryde's post begs me to ask the question.

To all that post here:

If you don't ride the east/brown loop...why is that?
What changes would make you want to ride the east loop?

I'm pretty much focusing on the west/yellow loop in the future for additional trail/challenges, but if the east loop isn't getting ridden then its harder to maintain.

Lemmeknow.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby SLOWWRYDE » August 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am

The east loop is great! I generaly ride the west because I like the work out it gives me, and I ride the east when I am pressed for time and need to get my "fix". Ive never rode both back-to-back. I am getting stronger and shedding some pounds, so I may start riding the entire thing to push my personal envelope.

Alright, I have pondered this some more and the question should be, How come no one rides Ionia...period. I ride there three times a week and never see anybody, ever. Now, I am not complaining, I like having my own private bike trail, but I asked myself why is this place not a destination? Last Saturday I had to get up early and drive to Detroit. On the expressway I could not help but notice all the cars with mountain bikes mounted on them. Its Saturday and people are headed to a destination to ride. Their driving 40, 60, 100 miles to go ride a trail. Why not Ionia? The answer I came up with is length, flow, and speed. Ionia has elements of flow, and speed, but they are short lived. I personally think Ionia needs an expansion. All that land along the river just sitting there. The east loop should and could be lengthened all the way to the south parking lot of the frair grounds where people could choose to cross the foot bridge and go into town and visit Dans bike shop, or have lunch or whatever. Or they could simply continue on the trail along the river back to the trail head on Riverside Dr.

Just my two cents and imagination running wild!
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby slaterbj » August 6th, 2012, 2:17 pm

I will be riding Ionia tonight. I ride it a few times per week and can't believe there are not more people riding it. It is a great trail and really close to where I live. In fact I ride Ionia more now then CSGA. I like both the east and west sections, and typically do a East, West, East loop anytime I ride.
On two wheels or in the air I am always flying
slaterbj

Postby bleve » August 6th, 2012, 2:24 pm

I was just camping out at Ionia this weekend and finally got to ride it this year. It's in pretty good shape compared to some other years I've been out there. I'd say there's a little bit of growth creeping into the trail at the knee to head level to make it just slightly annoying but not enough to keep you from riding. The east loop was actually in the best shape I've seen it in a couple years of riding. I only get out here a couple times a year when camping so it's not a regular ride.
bleve

Postby SLOWWRYDE » August 13th, 2012, 8:36 am

Ok, Monday 8-13. A triple trunk tree down around the 3 mile mark, and a big tree hanging over the trail around five mile mark. You can ride under it, but eventually it will come down. I may go out there tomorrow, walk the trail and take care of some of this.
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby gtrowbridge » August 14th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Trees cut off the trail.
Thanks go out to Slowwryde for the help.

Mowing to hopefully commence this weekend.
gtrowbridge

Postby slaterbj » August 20th, 2012, 8:42 am

Any organized trail days planned, or are we ok to take a weedwacker and a trimmer to get rid of some of the low hanging branches and tall grass on the trail? Myself and a friend will gladly donate our time to do it, we just want to make sure we are not stepping on any ones toes!
On two wheels or in the air I am always flying
slaterbj

Postby gtrowbridge » August 20th, 2012, 9:08 am

slaterbj wrote:Any organized trail days planned, or are we ok to take a weedwacker and a trimmer to get rid of some of the low hanging branches and tall grass on the trail? Myself and a friend will gladly donate our time to do it, we just want to make sure we are not stepping on any ones toes!

Awesome to hear!
No trail days planned yet. Although I have a few areas I'm getting anxious about that need some major knocking back which will need a concentrated effort.
You do need to coordinate through me for maintenance, because I have to know who is doing what and notify the DNR. Especially when using gas power tools which draw a lot of attention.
No chain saws as you need to have certification on file with the DNR for that.

I will need more information from you.
I'll PM you for that.

Thanks for stepping up!
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » August 21st, 2012, 8:46 am

Its come to my attention this weekend that someone has been running a Gator size ATV down the mountain bike trails from where the trails get close to the roads.

This might be random folk but it also might be the DNR as we've had issues with the summer help joy riding the trails with state owned equipment.
Our trails are on the remote side of the park so it is hard for DNR management to patrol them.

If you see ANYONE on any motorized ATV on the trails please let me know! Even if it is the DNR! They are not supposed to be out on the trails with ATVs anymore than anyone else.

If you can please flag the people down and politely ask them what research they are conducting and for who. Try to get names as well.
Do not yell or be confrontational. That may make it worse.

Thanks!

I have notified the DNR Unit Manager of the problem.
gtrowbridge

Postby SLOWWRYDE » August 23rd, 2012, 9:22 pm

Spent a few hours today trimming the face slappers on the west loop. It is now completly slapper free. Trail is looking awesome!
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby gtrowbridge » August 24th, 2012, 7:43 am

SLOWWRYDE wrote:Spent a few hours today trimming the face slappers on the west loop. It is now completly slapper free. Trail is looking awesome!

Excellent. I'll be out there doing some more mowing this weekend.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » August 26th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Finished the mowing of the West loop and mowed all of the east loop.

Shout out to the guys from St Johns riding the trail for the first time.

Glad to see we are drawing from that far.

gtrowbridge

Postby SLOWWRYDE » September 27th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Been riding Cobmoosa 3 times a week all month, and Ive gotta say it is in great shape. There is, however, a fallen tree about 2-2.5 miles into the yellow loop. The cooler weather has gotten rid of the insects and makes for a great ride everytime.
SHRED THE GNAR!
SLOWWRYDE

Postby gtrowbridge » October 12th, 2012, 7:42 am

Late post but the tree was removed last weekend.
Trail's in great shape with the little rain we have gotten.
Ride today.
Raining the rest of the weekend.
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments