Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Ionia

Postby RickPlite » November 11th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Rode Ionia and it is in great shape. Thanks for all the mowing George! Can't imagine the time spent doing that.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby gtrowbridge » November 12th, 2010, 9:10 am

RickPlite wrote:Rode Ionia and it is in great shape. Thanks for all the mowing George! Can't imagine the time spent doing that.

I've got it down to about 8hrs total now. 4hrs a day.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Bigtymer » November 12th, 2010, 9:29 am

It's a great trail George with a lot of nice flow. Thanks for all your efforts and thank you Rick for all your work at Luton!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby gtrowbridge » November 15th, 2010, 11:38 am

New "balance beam" obstacle added to the big loop just past the creek.

Enjoy.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » November 20th, 2010, 8:44 am

New trail description posted in the trail guide.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » November 29th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Tree down just past the shortcut on the way back to the trail head.
I'll get it this weekend.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » December 5th, 2010, 8:11 am

Downed tree is cut off the trail.

Greasy trail in some spots yesterday, but he track was clear of snow. Probably freezing up good this week.
gtrowbridge

Postby risnewski » December 8th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Rode Ionia for the first time today--fun trail, especially where snow covered on the bench cut drop offs (west loop). Whew! Anyway, trail was in fine shape with no downed trees. I left a little skin at one slippery corner.

FYI, the onlne map says ride the east loop clockwise but direction arrows at the trail take you counterclockwise.
risnewski

Postby gtrowbridge » December 9th, 2010, 8:44 am

risnewski wrote:Rode Ionia for the first time today--fun trail, especially where snow covered on the bench cut drop offs (west loop). Whew! Anyway, trail was in fine shape with no downed trees. I left a little skin at one slippery corner.

FYI, the onlne map says ride the east loop clockwise but direction arrows at the trail take you counterclockwise.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Yeah the online map is old and out dated. I try to make sure the arrows and trailhead map is correct at the least. A new one is in the works, however I'm kinda dragging my feet on it because I would like to put the new trails (pending DNR approval) on it too (crossing fingers).
We've already started some preliminary flagging for the Pond Side trail. Hoping to add about 2 more miles to the system next year. All on the West loop.
gtrowbridge

Postby RickPlite » December 9th, 2010, 9:13 am

gtrowbridge wrote:
risnewski wrote:Rode Ionia for the first time today--fun trail, especially where snow covered on the bench cut drop offs (west loop). Whew! Anyway, trail was in fine shape with no downed trees. I left a little skin at one slippery corner.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Yeah the online map is old and out dated. I try to make sure the arrows and trailhead map is correct at the least. A new one is in the works, however I'm kinda dragging my feet on it because I would like to put the new trails (pending DNR approval) on it too (crossing fingers).
We've already started some preliminary flagging for the Pond Side trail. Hoping to add about 2 more miles to the system next year. All on the West loop.

George-You should use the map the wMMBA made for you. Can't wait to ride more trail there!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby gtrowbridge » January 10th, 2011, 8:34 am

Trails are frozen hard with about 2 inches of powder on top of them.
All trails are clear of sticks and such.
Parts of the trails have been walked in pretty good by rabbit hunters.

There is one branch that is leaning down into the trail which is sharp and pointing toward you as you are riding.
Unless you are a tall person like myself you'll have no problem.
Otherwise beware and ready to duck.
Its in the woods after you pass the balance beam before you get to the rock skinny on the west loop.

I'll get out and cut it this week sometime.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » January 17th, 2011, 7:55 am

6+ inches of powder covering the trail.
More on the way early this week.
Great for skiing the trail as all rocks and roots should be covered.

Also the impaling branch mentioned before for the tall folk has been removed.

Snow has not impeded the flagging and scouting of new trails. That work continues as planned.

Also I have been contacted by the CIS rail trail folk and sounds like that is moving forward quicker than most.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » March 15th, 2011, 11:17 am

Trail in the woods still covered with 6 inches of heavy wet snow or frozen hard crusty snow depending on time of day.
Trail near the road is clearing off but still has muddy areas and parts with puddles on it.

You can walk it but don't ride it yet.
If you walk it feel free to help out and pitch all the sticks you find off to the side of the trail!
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » March 19th, 2011, 11:46 am

Trails are open!

Thanks to the gravel base the trails are built on it is dry with only a couple of moist spots.
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » March 26th, 2011, 11:47 am

Muddy and squishy. Probably avoid unless you ride in the morning when the trail is frozen and before the sun warms it up (10am? 11am?).

Due to the amount of rain we had last week plus the freezing temps, the ground hasn't had a chance to drain off.
There are a couple of good size mud puddles (+15ft) in spots.
I suspect that even if the ground is frozen you might encounter ice in spots.

If the temps would just stay above freezing the trail would drain when it rains.
gtrowbridge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions