Western: Ionia

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Western: Ionia

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:34 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Ionia SGA
Todd Scott

fast and...still bumpy

Postby tjstelma » April 15th, 2004, 6:45 pm

a few spongy areas on the first small loop (east of foot bridge), and some good ruts from over-ambitious early spring riders. longer loop is in good shape and very fast.

it seems the rocks get bigger each time I ride there.
tjstelma

Postby j s » May 19th, 2004, 9:12 am

Rode here for the first time. The east trail (east of bridge 2.5 trail)was almost unrideable. The entire area by the river is under water and really no way around it. The west trail was slippery with some ground water but not bad. I did get a face wash by some overgrown trees and bushes about 3 miles in. Some areas are overgrown, hope it drys out for the race.
j s

Postby gsouth1 » June 8th, 2004, 8:08 am

Rode the trail on Sunday 6/6. most of the trail is very good condition. Muddy spot just west of the bridge at the bottom of the hill still has standing water and is very muddy. Rest of the trail is fine, but the grass makes visability on the open sections limited. Happy trails
gsouth1

Postby bludale » June 13th, 2004, 8:29 pm

It seems that the trail will need some work before the TT on the 19th. I rode a few laps today and there are deep soggy spots near the start of the yellow loop and the grass is so tall (2 - 3 feet) that it bends across the trail in some sections and visibility is nill. That said, 85% of the trail is fast and clear. If the rain hold off the mud pits may improve, but some sand, ladders, or bags of cement would probably help. There was one dedicated soul out there today with a weed whacker making some improvements. He had no idea about the race, but was concerned about the condition of the trail.

Thanks!
Think fast, ride faster.
bludale

Postby Briana » June 16th, 2004, 12:50 pm

how is the trail right now with the additional rain??
Briana

Postby Briana » June 16th, 2004, 2:28 pm

This is an update from one of your fellow racers... Paul rode Ionia and sent me this update..

briana, i just rode ionia tell everyone the brown trail is terriable its not part of the race so dont ride it the grass and mud is almost unridable the race portion of the trail is ok once you get by the first section of mud the
mosquitoes are terrible john is cutting the high grass along the sides of the
trail so the main race course should be okay
Briana

Postby gsouth1 » June 26th, 2004, 8:49 am

Trail is in great condition. Grass was trimmed for the time trial on 6/19. With several hundred laps, the course is in the best shape it will be all year. Please come out and ride Ionia you will like it!!!!! :D
gsouth1

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » July 9th, 2004, 9:55 pm

Rode Ionia for the first time today(7/9), not bad pretty easy and short though, I guess I should stick to advanced level trails oh well I had to try it out once. Yellow loop in good shape, I also rode brown loop or the part i could see, extremely overgrown I'd hold off on brown loop till its trimmed. 8) :twisted:
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

East Loop badly overgrown. 7/15/04

Postby HSeeley » July 16th, 2004, 7:43 am

The areas near Sessions Creek are very bad, the trail is almost invisible due to overhanging growth.

Mid State is organizing a crew to clear the loop as soon as possible. I'll post back when it's done.

The West loop is fine.
HSeeley

Ionia not for beginners

Postby Stormey13 » July 26th, 2004, 3:56 pm

I like to consider myself an intermediate rider - and while the trails (Brown & Yellow) are ranked for an intermediate rider - I found them quite challenging. The trails are very technical and riddled with rocks - be prepared. It was a challenging - but great ride!
Cheers!
Stormey
Stormey13

Ionia mostly done

Postby HSeeley » July 27th, 2004, 7:31 am

We were able to clear overgrowth on most of the east loop. There is possibly 1/4 mile that still needs to be cleared.

There are a couple broken rungs on the ground ladders, I'll try to get that done this week.

Overall the east loop is in much better condition now.
7/26/04
HSeeley

Public input sought for Ionia Recreation Area plan

Postby Dan_Harrison » July 30th, 2004, 8:43 am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 29 JUL 04

Public input sought for Ionia Recreation Area plan

State recreation officials today announced an Aug. 12 public information meeting to discuss a proposed management plan for Ionia Recreation Area in Ionia County.

The meeting will be held from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Ionia High School's Montcalm Community College Ionia Center, Room 304, 250 E. Tuttle Road, Ionia.

Management plans determine future uses of the popular recreation area by identifying its unique purpose and significance to visitors.

“We want the local community to have a voice in the future recreation options at Ionia Recreation Area,” Park Planner Paul Curtis said. “We need to hear from people who use the park regularly because their input is critical in formulating a successful plan.”

Renowned for its dog trials area, Ionia Recreation Area is also a water recreation haven with 140-acre Sessions Lake and four miles of Grand River frontage. The park’s 4,500 acres of flat to rolling terrain mixes open field, mature hardwood forest and pine plantations. Dammed waterfowl floodings and other wetlands dot the park. Horseback riding trails and an equestrian campground also provide recreation opportunities.

After a review of the planning process and the significant qualities of the park, people may ask questions and provide comments about the park, the resources found there, and planning efforts underway.

Persons with disabilities needing accommodations for this meeting should contact Paul Curtis at 517-335-4832 (TTY 711) a minimum of 72 hours in advance.
Dan_Harrison

Trail shape

Postby MuGuGuy » November 5th, 2004, 2:34 pm

How's Ionia doing right now? Anyone been riding there?
MuGuGuy

Postby garyf » November 5th, 2004, 2:40 pm

Ionia has been in good shape lately. Some trees were down a couple of weeks ago but we have gotten them removed. I haven't ridden in the last week due to the rain, but will be heading out tonight and will keep you updated.
garyf

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments