Mid-State: Heritage Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Heritage Park

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 24th, 2011, 8:27 pm

SS Gregg wrote:Steve,

I rode the trail Saturday with pretty much the same report. Friday night, we went to see Robert Plant at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. Some people tailgate before concerts, jamming music. We watched the Race Across the Sky movie, documenting Lance's victory at the Leadville Trail 100 in 2009. Great, inspiring movie (in spite of all the ongoing "Lance was doping" controversy talk). So I took the ol' Bontrager SS MTB out Saturday to Heritage Park with Dale (my new puppy) for a trail ride. I found that there was a lot of the trail that ccould be ridden, primarily where they has been a lot of running/hiking activity (there is a running race out there in early February). Other areas were too hard to get my single speed through, due to the frozen footprints you mentioned. I did multiple laps on the stuff I could ride, and hit some of the roads in the park to give Dale a chance to open up. Great workout. Hope to see you out there some time.

Really a nice trail in the winter. I'll have to try again some sunny winter day and get there earlier and take more pics. How was Plant? What genre is he playing? Last I heard he was playing bluegrass - going in opposite directions from John Paul Jones who was big in bluegrass & Mandolin "Society", now going to harder rock with the Crooked Vultures.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Tom McMichael » April 2nd, 2011, 10:30 am

I'm wondering why we don't have a Southeastern Chapter?
Tom McMichael

Postby AllMountin' » May 2nd, 2011, 10:48 pm

Rode this Saturday evening. Wasn't sure how it would be, due to recent rain. The low grassy/wetland part with the boardwalk part was hit and miss, so I walked a lot of that, but everything else was excellent.

I want to give a shout out to those that maintain this trail. No issues with dead fall. I reaaaally enjoyed the rock garden, the arranged stump features with the chicken wire(nice, effective touch), and the elevated bridge with the drop at the end. Okay, I didn't really enjoy that last one so much as I enjoyed making it to the end w/out falling. ;-) I'll try that lone, large stump again with my other rig- didn't have enough chain ring clearance with the HT.

I'm gonna go throw up a positive review on Singletracks when I get a minute. There were a couple of clowns from Ohio that posted poor reviews on there. Sounds like they didn't even run the whole trail. Definitely a worthy ride if you're in the area.

-Steve
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby moto367 » May 29th, 2011, 8:58 pm

^...not me. Love this place. I didn't see any negatives on singletracks? Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride in a while. Was hoping to make it up on Monday. Did Adrian get hammered by the storm that blew through earlier this afternoon? Any trial update? Thanks and Happy trails.
moto367

Postby SS Gregg » May 30th, 2011, 12:40 pm

There are a couple of new dead falls, but between Jeff. Mike and Todd, I doubt they will be there long :D
I just want to live the life I please.
I don't want no enemies.
I don't want nothin' if I have to fake it.

--Lucinda Williams
SS Gregg

Postby moto367 » May 30th, 2011, 2:52 pm

My son and I were able to make it up today. Trail was superb and very fast. They must have not gotten the rain we did last night. You guys have been busy adding some new stuff. All is good. We couldn't ride the back section behind the soccer fields. It was all water. Hope to get back on a "normal" routine when school is out and make it out more often.
moto367

Postby ah77 » September 21st, 2011, 10:07 am

Is this trail still actively maintained? I am thinking about driving up and checking it out, but don't want to drive 45 miles to find the trail unmaintained. Thanks!
ah77

Postby deezler » September 30th, 2011, 10:26 am

^ Bump for the same question - curious if a local could give us an update. Hows the signage and maintenance?
deezler

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 22nd, 2012, 9:13 pm

The weatherman was right about more snow being south. Just a little bit more than around my house in Canton and what I rode yesterday at Commerce. Looks like there was a 5k running race while I was there, and a few XC skiers were also out there, no other bikers. Still fresh powder and the temps stayed under 30F as I left around 3:30. Found plenty of fresh snow to ride that no one touched.
Some of the ridges were tricky, sometimes had to stop and walk a few as it was tough keeping the rear wheel from sliding off the edge. Finally found the other entrance to the advanced section shown in the pic below. That area was a bit crunchy, but no where on the trail did I find any ice.

Steve_Balogh

Postby Steve_Balogh » August 29th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Had the day off, took a ride at Adrian. A lot of the trails were nice with a bit of moisture in them. Unfortunately, I believe I lost my EcoDrive watch there, has a black vinyl-like band. Please PM me if anyone finds it.
Steve_Balogh

Postby AllMountin' » September 16th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Trail conditions are pretty good. Some duff on the tread, as it doesn't get the traffic volume of most trails. Mostly clear of deadfall, with a few chainring eating log crossings, but they may be intentionally left. You can tell this trail is designed/maintained by some tech oriented riders.

Be careful on the switch descent. There are some pretty sandy turns in there.

Managed to link together much of this trail into a coherent loop. It is a fractured section trail, but carefully following arrows and doing a bit of exploring can sort much of it. Come here with an adventurous spirit. I discovered some really interesting segments in the low lying swampy area, which are pretty techy. Also, the advanced segment with the bridges/berms that runs behind the soccer fields on the West end of the park.

Did some fooling around on a couple of my favorite features. There is a lot more tech out there than what is in this video:

Do yourself a favor and check out this trail.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 23rd, 2013, 9:26 pm

Weather forecasts had this trail being the coldest out of what I normally ride. Used my DIY studded Endomorphs, but were really not necessary, never saw any ice. 1-2" of snow on the ground, saw one normal sized tire track and not too much foot traffic except in the usual loop near the nature center.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 18th, 2013, 10:10 pm

Would like to check out this trail. Haven't been able to find a map online. Does anyone know of one?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 19th, 2013, 8:53 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Would like to check out this trail. Haven't been able to find a map online. Does anyone know of one?

Since you've been to Sharon Mills, you will not need one. Take 52 south into Adrian, Heritage Park is on the left by the BP Gas Station. Go all the way in park by the Stubnitz nature center. There's some kiosks there, but it's a fun place to explore. Often I'm not sure I'm always riding in the right direction, but they do have a lot of signage on the trails. What you might miss is the section where one of the pics above was taken, it's across from the frisbee golf field. You can also find it by riding along the dirt road by the river on the other side of the RC Airplane field.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ChrisInYpsi » May 19th, 2013, 11:38 am

Thanks Steve. Was searching for a trail map actually.

I rode Heritage for a few hrs this morning. I had no idea where to go, and there were MANY unmarked intersections so I was blindly winding my way along. Some very nice flowy singletrack w a bunch of cool techy stuff too. I need to visit again or ride w someone who knows their way around since I'm sure I missed a few sections.

I lost my bike computer somewhere on the trail. No idea where. If anyone finds a Planet Bike Protege 9 computer w a stem mount please let me know.
ChrisInYpsi

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments