Mid-State: Heritage Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby RiesBMX » August 24th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Went out to Heritage park tonight and rode for a bit. the trails are very dry due to lack of rain, but there are a few sandy spots, its marked pretty well now, and the weeds are cut back. didn't seem to get eaten up by mosquitos either so that was good
RiesBMX

Re: Mid-State: Heritage Park

Postby SS Gregg » March 30th, 2009, 8:43 pm

Trail Work Day: Sunday April 26 at 10:00 a.m.
Hare Racer: May 9 (see other post)
I just want to live the life I please.
I don't want no enemies.
I don't want nothin' if I have to fake it.

--Lucinda Williams
SS Gregg

Postby spwrozek » April 3rd, 2009, 9:55 pm

nice to see a Sunday work day as I can actually make those. I am tentatively saying that I can make it down from Jackson to help out. But I may be leaving that day for a business trip out to New York.

Let me know what I can bring to help out. I have never rode down there so I will probably plan on bringing my bike down as well.
spwrozek

Postby spwrozek » May 1st, 2009, 4:25 pm

Going to head down on Sunday morning as of tonight. It will be me and my buddy Eddie. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up with us. This trail kicks ass if you haven't been.
spwrozek

Postby coleholley » June 18th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of this trail? Also is this the heritage park off of textile right?
coleholley

Postby spwrozek » August 31st, 2009, 9:06 am

Does anyone have a map of this trail? My friend at work and her husband went here sunday and said they were a little lost (although I did tell them to call me and I would be their guide...) Thanks.
spwrozek

Postby tmb » August 31st, 2009, 8:40 pm

Adrian Lock & Bike(611 N. Main st) has maps, they are more or less current.
tmb

Postby SS Gregg » June 15th, 2010, 10:12 am

With all of the rain, this trail is badly over-grown. The City of Adrian has recently lost their forrester and the guy that did maintenance/mowing at the park. While some work has been done, much more is needed. We will need to schedule a work day, but I need to establish a new contact with the City to get approval to move forward. I will post more as we get some work going. Sorry about the bad news. Hopefully, we'll have it cleared out shortly.
I don't want no enemies.

--Lucinda Williams
SS Gregg

Postby moto367 » July 4th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Not sure of SSGreg's definition of "over-grown" but the trail is in AWESOME condition. 24" wide is plenty open for darn good riding. The trail is dry and the 2 fella's that have been maintaining the trail have been hard at work. My hat's off to these 2 gents for their efforts. If you haven't ever ridden this trail, your missing some good fun.
moto367

Postby SS Gregg » July 6th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Yes, Mike and Jeff have been hard at work and we were able to get the city to pitch in. Glad to hear it is in better shape now.
I don't want no enemies.

--Lucinda Williams
SS Gregg

Postby volt_son » November 16th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Does anyone know if hunting is allowed on any part of the trail?
volt_son

Postby SS Gregg » November 16th, 2010, 4:12 pm

No, Heritage Park is a city park and hunting is not allowed. Feel free to ride without risk of being shot.

Another Son Volt fan? I am listenening to Trace right now. It is one of my favorite albums.
I don't want no enemies.

--Lucinda Williams
SS Gregg

Postby knc » November 30th, 2010, 6:25 pm

The trail is in excellent condition, come out this Sat.@ 5:15 meet in the upper parking lot on the left and join us on our annual Holiday Heritage Night Ride. Lights and helmets are recommended. The city will be starting their light display as well. It's sure to be a excellent time as snow is in the forecast!!
knc

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 23rd, 2011, 8:44 pm

I ventured out to Adrian today hoping for something a little different than what I've been seeing locally. Surprised to see so many hiker's prints there too, however the first 1/2 mile or so that forms a loop back to the nature center was so packed down it was almost smooth. Outside of that my fat tires came in handy getting over the frozen footprints. The section between the roads entering and exiting the nature center I did a couple of laps there. The first was pretty tough, but I got through much quicker the second time around. Seemed I could smash a lot of the frozen tracks down. The worst section is the east end on the other side of the road. Fewer hikers there, creating some frozen shoe prints for a really bumpy ride. Most of the trail was bumpy, but not as bad as that section.

I got lost crossing the bridge at the bottom of the hill, ended up in the frisbee golf course. I made my way back around the farm and did another lap and rode sections I missed. I'm thinking I still missed some areas I remembered from last year's night ride. Lots of people cutting across loops as well as a few animal tracks going off on what looked like trail sections made me think a few times. Is the "swamp section" still there? I didn't see anything that looked like that, appears to be part of the golf course from what I can recall.

Beautiful day. Was a tough ride but I enjoyed it. Only walked a couple steep hills, everything else I could pretty much mash through and could climb many other decent sized hills.

One note: On the east section I spoke of, where there are some good size log hops, the large tree trunk that's part of the trail had a pedal trap. On the right side the chicken wire covering has a hole in it. Looks like someone snagged their pedal in it, and ripped an 8" hole in it. I got my right pedal caught in the hole. I tried to flatten that down the best I could, but it looks like it needs a trim. I was actually walking over the log, thankfully I didn't try riding it.
Steve_Balogh

Postby SS Gregg » January 24th, 2011, 8:41 am

Steve,

I rode the trail Saturday with pretty much the same report. Friday night, we went to see Robert Plant at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. Some people tailgate before concerts, jamming music. We watched the Race Across the Sky movie, documenting Lance's victory at the Leadville Trail 100 in 2009. Great, inspiring movie (in spite of all the ongoing "Lance was doping" controversy talk). So I took the ol' Bontrager SS MTB out Saturday to Heritage Park with Dale (my new puppy) for a trail ride. I found that there was a lot of the trail that ccould be ridden, primarily where they has been a lot of running/hiking activity (there is a running race out there in early February). Other areas were too hard to get my single speed through, due to the frozen footprints you mentioned. I did multiple laps on the stuff I could ride, and hit some of the roads in the park to give Dale a chance to open up. Great workout. Hope to see you out there some time.
I don't want no enemies.

--Lucinda Williams
SS Gregg

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments