Mid-State: Heritage Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby thejode » January 23rd, 2006, 10:48 pm

SS Gregg wrote:Glad you had a good ride. We must have just missed you. We were out there planning the new bridge crossing that we constructed over the weekend. We've made four sections, four foot wide (per City's request) and we'll use them to make an easy way across the water in the ramps section. That way, we can keep the challenging ramp that currently exists, and everyone is happy. We're gonna wait until the ground freezes to get the sections out there.

Watch out in the lower sections as the weather warms and the ground thaws.

With the acquisition of the DR trimmer, we should be able to keep the ramped section open all year (after spring thaw).

It was an exceptional ride. We were there around 2:30-4:30. Didn't see any other bikers but we saw some RC airplane guys and a hiker. We were careful to be sure the trail was not muddy so we didn't disturb the top soil but it was remarkably tacky and snowless. It must be that the water drains straight down the hills because the low land was flooded whhile the high lands were fine. It was fun.
thejode

Postby SS Gregg » January 24th, 2006, 10:59 am

The loamy soil is great for drainage. The high areas are rideable year round. No bugs, nettles or poison ivy this time of year, either!
SS Gregg

Postby tmb » February 27th, 2006, 12:14 am

Heritage is good to go. The Eagle Heritage section & around the RC field are still a little soft and should be avoided for awhile yet.

SSGregg, Nelson & Rumsey-
Nice work on the reroutes. The switchback is still challenging but should be rideable by most. The sandy corner reroute is more than just a reroute, it's a whole new piece of trail! The little section along the start/finish line is pretty sweet & will set-in nicely. Again, nice job.

T
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby SS Gregg » February 27th, 2006, 10:44 am

Thanks, Todd.

We're still planning on adding some more soil to the switchback and maybe construct a small retaining wall to create more of a landing after the turn. It remains a work in progress. You got to be the first to ride all three of those sections : - )

Also in the works is the bridge we built and need to install.

And the signage with a better map. We should be lookin' real good by spring!
SS Gregg

Postby mmba7693 » February 27th, 2006, 12:05 pm

It sounds awesome what everyone is doing at Heritage. I grew up in Onsted and Heritage trails were my first ever. I hope I can ride this summer when I visit.
Big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later.
mmba7693

Postby tmb » February 27th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Gregg
Give me a call when you're ready to do some more work, if I'm not on 12 hrs. I'd like to help.

T
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby tmb » March 29th, 2006, 10:04 pm

Two thumbs up for the trail crew.

The new bridge sections are well done, though I still like the skinny ones :twisted: . The new reroute in the tech section is a twisty, nasty little thing, I love it.

I roughed-in another reroute in the tech section. It will eliminate one of the two open field pieces. I hope to finish clearing it this weekend.

T
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby don_delagrange » March 30th, 2006, 9:39 am

That twisty re-route is going to be great. I can't wait to ride it myself.

Does anyone think it will be dry enough to ride Sat. after the Friday night rain? I'll wait a little longer if not.
don_delagrange

Postby tmb » March 30th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Gregg, Jeff & I rode today, trails in great shape. Finished another reroute, I think everyone will like it.

If we get a ton of rain, some of the low stuff will be soggy but the majority of the trail can take a pretty good soaking and still be rideable.

Don-
A few of us are talking about riding Sat as well, pm me your phone #, I'll give you a call when we nail down a time.

Todd
Mom & Pop Racing
tmb

Postby Tattooed_Dave » April 1st, 2006, 5:50 pm

rode heritage park today around 2pm trail was in good condition and rideable
its all about the pain the ink is just a souvenir

procrastinators of the world unite!!! tomorrow

el acero es verdadero

www.beatthetrain.com
http://www.cycletofitness.com/
Tattooed_Dave

Postby SS Gregg » April 3rd, 2006, 12:04 pm

Nice work, Todd, on the newest additions to the skills area. It took me a couple of times to finally cross both the log and the "bridge" area in one shot.

To sum up our additions: we put in two new bridges in the skills area, a trail we are now calling the "Turn Back Now" trail (although we have by-passes to most of the difficult skills on it). We added in hundreds of yards worth of re-routes. Todd put in a couple more skills tests: a log/downed tree that you ride up, down and off; and some 4" wide planks to test your resolve. We've now got most of the wet areas fixed, but we'll need to do something off of the end of the new bridge where it is still a bit wet, and we plan on moving the extra bridge to another water crossing (below the soccer fields).

The plan is to race this area at the Spring race!

Thanks again to all of those that helped out. FYI this area is hard to find. Take the gravel road down past the soccer fields and the sled hill toward the flying field. the entrance is about 100 yards past the gate, on the opposite side of the road from the flying field.

We're still planning more, and signage is in the works. Until then, locals only! (just kidding)
SS Gregg

Postby April » April 4th, 2006, 4:19 am

The new reroute you could call Twisted April , I mean sister! THat was a great line that you laid out, I just tried to use the land to it's max. YOu guys have done a ton of good work out there!
I hope to get out there after I get back from Vacation. Happy riding!!!
"the race goes not always to the swift.... but to those who keep running"
April

Postby victors » August 20th, 2006, 1:33 pm

I tried to ride Heritage Park on Saturday, but it was badly overgrown. It looks like a great trail with good technical stuff, but the trail had 3 foot weeds overgrown on both sides of the trail in a lot of spots. Let me know if someone decides to clear some of that out.
victors

Postby SS Gregg » August 20th, 2006, 3:12 pm

No doubt. We were just out there Friday and thought the same thing. Actually, only the Eagle-Heritage is too overgrown to ride. We'll get someone to cut thtat down this week. Check back here for an update or email me for a status.

The long freeride bridge has been repaired!
SS Gregg

Postby victors » August 20th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. I noticed several different trails, but I never found an official trailhead or starting spot and was wondering if there was a map for the trails. I parked in the parking lot to the right of the entrance and rode down the downhill paved path that surrounded a soccer field. When I got to the end of the paved path I took a right on to a dirt/blacktop chunk road and then noticed an arrow with a path and took it. I also rode the grass area around by the airplane flyers. The grass area was mowed nicely. It looks like a real nice trail and would love to ride it when it is in better shape.
victors

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments