Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby glr » August 6th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Awesome! it was getting a little hairy back there.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
Yeah, the fatbike is mine...
glr

Postby Laser4G63 » August 25th, 2013, 9:41 am

I agree, Jake. The CCC doesn't have a clue as to what doing REAL trail work is. When Dan broke out the leaf blower, I just couldn't believe it. I wanted to say something, but just figured it would do no good anyway. I read on the CCC's facebook page that Frank cleared most of Probert. I haven't gone out there to check, but I am skeptic as to what he means by "cleared". BTW, I do like your post on their page, good job! The hilarious part of Dan helping was that I was throwing stuff back on the trail from trimming AFTER he went through with the leaf blower.

I have also been cutting things back further to "future proof" the growth. Though, on some parts of the trails (grassy areas) I don't think that will do much good. We need that *beep* DR Trimmer that Dan said they had (if they actually have it).

I guess we are pretty much on our own out there. And after spending 7 or so hours in the last couple of days clearing the trails, I am FUBAR. My arm is constantly numb and cannot even hold onto a glass. I want to get back out there, but I don't want to do permanent damage to my arm, so I have to rest it a while.

If anyone else is reading this, WE NEED HELP OUT THERE! An hour or two (or as much time as you can spare) of cutting back the growth would be helpful. Not blowing, unless it's after we cut back the trails.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 30th, 2013, 7:52 am

That's probably true.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » September 1st, 2013, 9:01 am

Someone cleared the downed trees on tunnel. There was 2 or 3. Thanks!

I am going to clear a couple of places tomorrow. The major overgrowth on Probert where it's kinda uphill and rocky. And the area after the new trail that someone cut on 3-4, where the down tree hovers above the trail.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 1st, 2013, 7:10 pm

I'm planning to ride Ella Sharp for the first time either tomorrow or next weekend. I'm checking out the map but don't quite understand the best way to connect the various trails (1, 2, 3, 4, D, M, S, T, P, H, N). Is there a recommended way to string all the trails together (preferred order perhaps)? Do they all connect to each other or do you have to ride the park roads to get from one loop to the next?

Thanks for any advice.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby jake » September 1st, 2013, 7:22 pm

There is no loop that connects the sections together. The park roads break up the sections to much. I have a couple of preferred routes. 1: North, east river, driving range, probert, hedgerow, schoolhouse, tunnel and the museum. 2: museum, schoolhouse, hedgerow, driving range (backwards), pines, north.

I typically skip sections 1-4 just because I don't like them, but route 2 would easily link to 1-4 after exiting the north section.

What time are you thinking about riding I may be able to show you around depending on the time?
jake

Postby Shall » October 29th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Right now they have posted a survey on the city parks and rec page about development of parks and activity for the city/county strategic plan, u have to write in mountain biking by the way, but everyone should tell everyone they know that ride the trails should take this and write in there comment. There has been numerous comments in the past about previous meeting with the sharp park board and attempt to change how these trails r maintained and that there has been resistance in the past. Right now the city is trying to figure out how to draw young professional to jackson. Derek Dobbies sits on the Ella sharp board and the committee for parks and rec. He's involved in everything and all for a photo op or to be mentioned as someone working for change. We may have to form a group, jackson mountain bike club or something, but with some organization a group may be able to give some feedback on how to improve and develop a good plan for sustainable trail maintenance and make some changes to parts of the trails so they flow better. I can't think if a city in michigan that has a trail system this long as close to the downtown center and it something that needs to be developed and explored. If anyone is interested let me know, a group can meet up for a beer or coffee and brainstorm....my brain tends to work better with beer however
Shall

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions