Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby MLKuhl » November 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Swung though Sharp Park on my ride back from Concord today and hit Schoolhouse, Hedgerow and Probert Trails. Leaves are thick and quite a bit of debris. Sure would be nice to have them cleared like earlier this spring. :lol:
MLKuhl

Postby jake » January 2nd, 2012, 1:07 pm

I understand the park is in pretty bad shape. I spoke with someone last week and it looks like we are going to start getting this taken care of. I know the park has had it's ups and downs, but I am a little more optimistic this time that we should be able to get things in shape and keep them that way. I think we are really going to push this as a joint venture.

We could still use all the help we can get. I also plan to push the signage issue hard this spring. I think the next board meeting for the park is in April so I want this on their agenda. If it comes down to cost I will pay for the signs out of my pocket if I have to. We are letting a perfectly good resource fall apart.

I know we all have other things to do and I am as guilty as anybody, but just think of that one hour show you watch once a week. If that time was spent on the trail how much better it would be. I hope to change this in 2012.
jake

Re: Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby dauber76 » January 2nd, 2012, 4:00 pm

jake wrote:I understand the park is in pretty bad shape. I spoke with someone last week and it looks like we are going to start getting this taken care of. I know the park has had it's ups and downs, but I am a little more optimistic this time that we should be able to get things in shape and keep them that way. I think we are really going to push this as a joint venture.

We could still use all the help we can get. I also plan to push the signage issue hard this spring. I think the next board meeting for the park is in April so I want this on their agenda. If it comes down to cost I will pay for the signs out of my pocket if I have to. We are letting a perfectly good resource fall apart.

I know we all have other things to do and I am as guilty as anybody, but just think of that one hour show you watch once a week. If that time was spent on the trail how much better it would be. I hope to change this in 2012.

Hopefully the park board will realize what they have and what needs to be done instead of thinking the situation doesn't need changing. Keep me/us up to date if you need any help.

Regarding signs, I think we still have some simple plastic signs like the ones at Anderson. We also have money in the bank if you want something different.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem; now get off my lawn!
dauber76

Postby jake » January 2nd, 2012, 7:35 pm

Chris, I will definitely keep people updated because we can still use all the help we can get. Last spring was awesome we had the trail all cleaned and ready in half a day then all of that momentum died out. I really think with some minor work and a few re-routes it really could be a great place to ride again.

I would really like to see an event similar to the Hare Racer here. I think it would be good for the city.
jake

Postby jake » January 3rd, 2012, 8:28 pm

Just got back from riding Ella Sharp. We did Driving Range, Probert, Hedgerow and the Museum. I think there were only two spots where we had to dismount. There are a lot of low branches to watch out for though. It was actually in better shape then I was expecting.

We ran into three other guys out there and they said the North section is pretty rough. I guess you can't even ride to far without having to get off the bike to go over something.
jake

Postby jake » February 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Somebody has been out trimming the downfall. The museum has been cleared of all the down stuff. Driving range is clear also. Section one has 3-4 spots where I had to get off the bike and go around some stuff. I didn't check the North side of the park.
jake

Postby jake » February 13th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Rode North, Section 1-3, drving range, hedgerow and museum today.

The north section only had one spot that I had to get off the bike. Section one had 3-4 spots other than that everything I rode today was clear.

There is probably 2-3inches of snow in spots on the trail, but very rideable.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » March 15th, 2012, 9:19 am

Rode the north trail yesterday to check out my new build. Someone placed a bunch of debris at the base of the steep hill on the left as you enter the trail. Anyone know why? I like riding up that when I start the trail. Anyway, heading back out today to ride a few more trails and try and get back in shape. Will report on more conditions.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » March 16th, 2012, 7:27 am

Rode North, East River, Golf, Probert, and Hedgerow trails and they are in seemingly good condition. Some greasy spots here and there. There is a tree down on North, but there's a route around it. I am loving this summer-like weather, and it's still winter.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » March 16th, 2012, 8:47 am

I am thinking about arranging a spring clean up soon, maybe the first week of April. Hopefully, there will be a good showing like last year and all of the trail can be cleaned up in a few hours.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » March 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm

Rode all trails but the tunnel trail today (and yesterday, and the day before that). One tree down on the 1-4 trail. Just the usual sticks and stuff on the trail, but are in good shape other than that.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » March 28th, 2012, 3:19 pm

North trail has a tree down on the back straight-away. Found out the hard way. Tunnel is pretty decent. Some muddy spots, but not all that bad. I'm sure that will change once we get rain.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby MLKuhl » April 2nd, 2012, 9:46 am

Rode quite a few of the trails yesterday, they were in pretty good shape...I was kinda surprised by this since we haven't had a trail day yet. I rode 3&4 (the pines across from the driving range/dirt soccer parking lot) alot of fun but I had NO idea what way to go. IMO that is one area that would benefit from trail markers.
MLKuhl

Postby Laser4G63 » April 12th, 2012, 4:22 pm

All of the trails are in surprisingly good condition. I thought I would have seen downed trees after the winds we had, but there were none. Even the tunnel trail is in decent shape.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » April 22nd, 2012, 11:32 am

I cleared the Museum Loop this morning. I will try to get out some more this week and just plug away until the park is cleared.
jake

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions