Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Laser4G63 » August 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Could someone tag those low hangers on the museum with some orange paint? There are two basically in a row which are just at head level (when on a bike).
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 8th, 2013, 9:05 am

I know this is short notice, but would anyone be interested in helping out with the clearing this coming weekend (Fri. - Sun.)? At the rate this is taking me to get this cleared, it will take until the end of the season to complete. Obviously, with more people, this will go much quicker. I realize this is one of the worst ways to spend a weekend, but you won't have to worry about getting shredded by the overgrowth once it's complete. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 9th, 2013, 3:14 pm

Down trees on tunnel (small) and beginning of Probert (large).

I am not sure if the park looked into those bottles, but they are still there and appears to be more of them.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 13th, 2013, 9:29 am

I recently wrote an email to ES about the condition of the trails and the lack of effort of maintaining the trails on the CCC's part. The following is the response I received from ES.

Thank you for your concerns regarding the Ella Sharp Park Trail System.

After reading your email, I agree with you 100%.

We are currently working with Beckett / Raeder to create an Ella Sharp Park Master Plan. The trail system is a top priority within this plan.

We are hopeful to have the Master plan completed by the end of this year so that we can begin updating our trail network. Along with other park updates and additions.

Thank you for your support and patience.

Sincerely,

Eric W. Terrian
Superintendent of Ella Sharp Park.

I hope this ousts CCC as the main trail maintenance group, but I highly doubt it. What I don't get is, why is ES willing to pay (I assume they will be paid) a private firm out of Ann Arbor but won't allow the MMBA in there (who will do it for free)? All I know is that I am done trimming the trails. I can't do it alone and, apparently, the CCC doesn't give a rat's ass about those trails.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby G.Cook » August 13th, 2013, 10:28 am

Sounds like an opportune time to involve the Mid-State Chapter , MMBA and Midwest IMBA . This does not sound to unlike the DNR bringing in Birchler-Arroyo for Waterloo.
G.Cook

Postby jake » August 13th, 2013, 10:48 am

Craig, I know it's difficult especially when you feel like your the only one out there doing it. I definitely agree they as a group don't care about the trails. There are a few random people who go out and do some work on their own. None of those people check this board so trying to organize a trail day from only here is difficult. I was surprised by one of my friends a few weeks ago when I cutting the tree out of the Museum trail. I heard someone yell to me while cutting and looked up to find him on the other side of the tree chainsaw in hand. It was corrdinated at all between us we just both wanted to get that tree removed.

As for the response from the park: It will be great if that happens, but I won't hold my breath. We heard of this master plan for the park some time ago when the MidState chapter sat down with CCC and Eric. Ella Sharp is weird because they have a board and all decisions are made through the board. I guess this can be good and bad. On the plus side the park is funded mostly by the golf course and not parks and rec like other city parks, which is what I was told before but don't entirely believe because of the whole recent swimming pool issue there. However, they did redo the clubhouse for the course and that was one of the items listed in the master plan maybe the trails really will get some attention.

Local bike shops would be key to getting something done out there. Unfortunately their mostly roadies. The Monday night ride is still seeing several new riders this year and a lot of that is due to the management change at one shop, but still the majority of riders are going to be those on the rail trail or road riders doing the Tues/Thurs/Sun club rides.

I plan to do a little trimming this week and address and trees that are down.
Use this code for 15% off your first purchase of Hammer nutrition products.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/148136

Sponsored by: Wheels in Motion
http://prisoncityracing.blogspot.com/
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » August 13th, 2013, 11:30 am

My email to ES wasn't really answered, to be honest. In my email, I addressed my concern about not really having anyone maintain the trails in the park. I made no mention whatsoever about CCC in my email, as I was hoping they would in their reply. I just said that is was a shame that there was no one who maintained those trails. Which there really isn't, just some club who claims they do in an attempt to bolster their image. Other things I addressed in my email were those water bottles on the Probert trail and the perverts who I frequently run into.

1-1/2 to 2 months ago, I ran into another person riding the trails in ES (his name has slipped my mind). I believe he mentioned he was with the CCC. I noted the overgrowth on the trails back then and his response was, essentially, that it would clear away on its own. Before that, I made a comment on the CCC's facebook page about the shape of the trails at the beginning of the season. Their response was something about one of their members going back there and taking care of the trails. That puzzled me because, at the time, I was under the impression that the CCC was a group and not a single person. I know, counting on the CCC to maintain those trails is a joke, but if they are going to plaster their club's name throughout the park, at least have the nads to own up to their responsibility and not shuck it onto one single person.

I love riding those trails and do not mind one bit putting in effort to keep them in decent shape. But as I mentioned, I cannot do it alone. My right arm has been numb since I started clearing the school trail and last Friday my head became acquainted with a downed tree that I didn't see because of the overgrowth. That, in turn, gave me a nice dose of whiplash and ruined my helmet.

I am not sure what ES plans to do with the trails, but I am pretty sure that if/when it is complete the CCC will still be "in charge". As long as they are, these trails will continue to be neglected by them and what we see now we will most likely see no matter what is done in there.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » August 13th, 2013, 11:50 am

Wish the park would see the benefit of more people using the trails. This would probably help the shading stuff that occurs on Probert and Hedgerow.

I wonder if they are looking into a company to give them insight for the trails if they will widen everything. It would be unfortunate for the biking, but there is not enough room to make multiple user group trails and if they park is looking at them in planning I would guess they are going with the multi user aspect. One of the guys I ride with also coaches xc running at one of the local schools. He kids run the trails so he helps to maintain them so they are clear for them to run. I also see a lot of people walking their dogs in there. I bet these are the groups the park will cater to. If they widen them they might possibly be better maintained if they clear a path large enough to run something down them to trim.

A few years ago the park gave one of the CCC members half the money towards a walk behind string trimmer. I wonder if that would be an option again for the trails. The person who bought it has since moved and I am sure he took that trimmer with him even though the park paid for part of it.

jake

Postby Laser4G63 » August 13th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Yes, that trimmer sure would come in handy. I was thinking something like that, or a weed eater with the metal blade, would be perfect for the ground stuff, but still need machetes/axes/saws for the stuff up high.

I am sure what you say will be what will happen with those trails. It would be sad to see wider trails, but if they are going to try and cater to the masses, that is what they will need.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » August 15th, 2013, 2:40 pm

I forwarded the park the information on the upcoming Subaru_IMBA trail care visit to the Poto chapter. I figure if they are serious about their master plan for the trails then they need to send someone to at least experience what IMBA has to offer. It will be interesting to see if I get a response or if they take it serious and send anyone.

jake

Postby aarontriton » August 15th, 2013, 4:21 pm

jake that was a great idea. i guess we will see. the ball is in there court

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
14 Devinci Troy
aarontriton

Postby Laser4G63 » August 17th, 2013, 12:45 pm

This is from CCC's facebook page. Seems like my hounding them has paid off. I will be attending on the 24th, hope others can make it as well. All I know is we need to get this squared away once and for all. I have been tackling it little by little and it would be much quicker with more people.

We will be having a clean up of the Ella Sharp trails on Saturday 8/24/13 starting at 9:00AM. Meeting at the planetarium parking lot. All are welcome, No experience necessary. Any equipment you can bring (weed whackers, machetes, push mower, chain saws, etc) would be appreciated. Pleas contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Frank T.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby G.Cook » August 17th, 2013, 1:22 pm

This is from CCC's facebook page. Seems like my hounding them has paid off. I will be attending on the 24th, hope others can make it as well. All I know is we need to get this squared away once and for all. I have been tackling it little by little and it would be much quicker with more people.

We will be having a clean up of the Ella Sharp trails on Saturday 8/24/13 starting at 9:00AM. Meeting at the planetarium parking lot. All are welcome, No experience necessary. Any equipment you can bring (weed whackers, machetes, push mower, chain saws, etc) would be appreciated. Pleas contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Frank T.

Perhaps the above info should also be posted in the Volunteers Needed thread.
G.Cook

Postby Laser4G63 » August 17th, 2013, 1:35 pm

G.Cook wrote:Perhaps the above info should also be posted in the Volunteers Needed thread.

Thanks. I posted there too.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » August 17th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Cleared the beginning and end of the north trail today didnt make it to far I ran out of trimmer line. Also cleared some trees in the museum trail. The big one that was head height is dropped, but it is still on the trail. Pinched my chain in it and couldn't get it out so I will have to make a trip back out.

jake

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments