Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Laser4G63 » June 29th, 2011, 7:29 am

Ouch! Need I say more? Someone started to hack at the overgrowth on the tunnel trail as I was leaving it. I am going to try and get out there little by little and cut back some of it myself.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby 355newell » July 13th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Rode ella sharp yesterday, was a great! However my day was cut short with a trip to the hospital to get a few stitches thanks to a lower branch about 3/4 of the way through the tunnel loop. just one to look out for!
355newell

Postby Laser4G63 » July 13th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Yeah, I clipped my head earlier today on that tree. Lucky my helmet wasn't trashed.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » August 13th, 2011, 10:51 am

I've been away for the last couple of weeks and looking for an update on the condition of these trails.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby MLKuhl » August 13th, 2011, 8:34 pm

I was wondering the same thing, haven't been there in quite some time, been riding other places. I just assumed it's like a jungle......
MLKuhl

Postby Laser4G63 » August 14th, 2011, 9:53 am

I was thinking that if it's overgrown that I will go in there and clean it up soon. Anyone game for another shot at a trail day?
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » August 14th, 2011, 10:15 am

I bet it's a mess right now. Especially after seeing the picture of the down tree on Horton Rd. in the paper last night. I would imagine there are several trees down and lots of debris. I can't plan a trail day right now, because I have a lot of other things going on, but if somebody else sets one up and the day works for me I will be there.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » August 14th, 2011, 10:35 am

I did see that taxi vs. the tree photo. I posted before the wind/hail storm yesterday, so I bet it is a wicked mess now. I will more than likely just make my way in and cut back some of the overgrowth over time. I guess there's no need to set up a trail day.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » September 7th, 2011, 9:44 am

My wife had posted on CCC's facebook page asking when they are planning on doing some maintenance to the trails in Sharp park. Not one reply. No surprise, really. However, when they boast on their website that they are in charge of maintaining them, shouldn't they own up to that?

They also mention that the trails do not become MMBA sponsored trails due to "higher trail traffic" and increasing risk of injury. With the current condition of the trails (overgrowth, headhunters, etc.), doesn't that increase the risk of injury? Seems like it to me. Being blinded by some of the overgrowth, you can have a head on with another biker or hit a hiker. Besides, I don't know of any case where a mountain biker has sued a park because they fell off their bike or something. Most mtn. bikers know the risks involved.

If, and that's a BIG IF, the MMBA did take over maintenance, I could see a minimal increase in bike traffic in the park. Not a whole lot with Custer and Poto being not far away from Jackson.

Seems to me that CCC only wants to pad their credentials with Sharp park on their website. As we all know, I don't see any of them out there doing what they claim on their website.

I'm sorry, but it just sickens me that in order to get things done there you have to get a group of MMBA members together to get it done. Personally, I just want to give up on the park altogether as long as CCC is in charge of it.

I know this debate has been going on for years and nothing will ever change. I just needed to vent a little.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » September 7th, 2011, 8:43 pm

The following is a post from a group of Jackson cyclist on FB:

David Divins
Sharp Park: Trimmed part of School House. Also did some mowing in the newer tunnel section.
LikeUnlike ? ?SubscribeUnsubscribe ? 22 hours ago

Dan Wood ok, I'll get tree in morning.....
22 hours ago via ? LikeUnlike.Dan Wood got the tree in 4. Some day I wonder if you could help me move a tree in 4. I cut it but couldn't move it.

For what its worth, both of them are members of CCC so they are doing some work.
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » September 8th, 2011, 6:52 am

Good! Glad to see it.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby MLKuhl » September 10th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Rode a handful of trails this am, tree down on driving range trail just before the exit ( or entrance if you ride it backwards like I do), pretty big one, can't ride over it...
MLKuhl

Postby Laser4G63 » September 14th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Just got done riding all the trails. The only tree down is the one MLKuhl mentioned. There are quite a few headhunters and a lot of sticks/branches on the trail. Plus the overgrowth that shreds your arms and legs up.

I ended up slamming my shoulder into a tree which didn't feel all that great. To top that, my handlebar caught a tree and managed to throw me off my bike @ 20mph. My wrists and knee appreciated that. :D

All in all, it was a nice ride on a nice, cool day.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby MLKuhl » October 1st, 2011, 3:22 pm

Just back from riding a few trails, they are in pretty rough shape. Lots of sticks and some sort of thing that looks like green apples but aren't green apples. But I guess that's to be expected after all the rain and wind we've had.....
MLKuhl

Postby AllMountin' » November 5th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Leaves are REALLY thick on Museum and Schoolhouse trails, making it extra difficult to follow the trail and see the many roots underneath. Trail is pretty clear of deadfall.

Rode most, but not all of the sections. Doesn't look like the trails have been getting much use recently.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions