Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Laser4G63 » May 21st, 2011, 4:27 pm

Rode the trails today. Except for the tunnel, which I assume is a swamp. There are a couple trees down on the 1-4 trails and 1 on the north. Other than that, they weren't in too bad of condition given all the rain we have received. They were drying out nicely, but it's raining again (yippeeee!).
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » June 3rd, 2011, 4:06 pm

Tree down on the museum and tunnel. Though, the tunnel isn't completely dried out (getting there) and is in bad shape. Trees where sorta cleared from the 1-4. Stick all over the trails, as usual.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby ramdadof3@yahoo.com » June 7th, 2011, 11:14 am

Rode here for the first time with the babe today. Trails are dry and clear. Lots of tight turns, roots and nice climbs made for a bit of a fun challenge.

However, they are in DESPERATE need of markers...this made for a not so fun challenge and ultimately led us to cut our ride short. We parked close to the pool and entered at a 1 & 2 marker, made our way onto the trail and met a 3 way fork with no clue as to where to go. We went left and after about 10 minutes ended up heading thru a field that ended at a road thanks to another unmarked fork. We turned around went thru the field and ended up hill at another fork...on this went for another 3 miles before we finally called it a day.
2011 Favs
Luton - Gold
Fort Custer - Red
Holdridge - West Loop (including tech loop)
ramdadof3@yahoo.com

Postby AllMountin' » June 7th, 2011, 11:39 am

I ran this blind last year, using only the online trail description and no map. I did eventually find my way thru it all, but more than once wondered if I was on the right track or hopelessly lost.

It's not the most noob friendly place I've ridden. It was fun though. Ride some trail. Hunt for trail. Rinse and repeat....
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby spwrozek » June 8th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Ya it can be a bit confusing with these trails. Come down for a Monday ride sometime and you can ride the whole trail with the group. If you want a tour just post up next time you want to come down and I will try to meet up with you.
spwrozek

Postby jake » June 8th, 2011, 8:25 pm

I am going to try to get out there with a marking can and at least get some orange dots on the trees to follow. I just have not had the time.

I am thinking we need to schedule another trail day for some trimming and the markings could be done at the same time. We really need a good handful or so of people just to cut back the over growth all this rain has done the vegatation well.
jake

Postby spwrozek » June 8th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Agreed. The sticks are all over. Really need some weed whippers to power through the over growth. I can get out with some hand trimmers at some point... (out of town for work this week and most of next...).

To bad we can't get the park to do some arrows for the trails though.
spwrozek

Postby Laser4G63 » June 9th, 2011, 7:04 am

Let me know when the next trail day will be. I will definitely be there. The overgrowth is pretty bad, I have cuts on my arms and legs to prove it :)
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby centralRH » June 9th, 2011, 7:08 am

Jake and Jackson crew. I have a bunch of left over trail arrows from Anderson. I would like to keep a small stock, but I have plenty I could give up. Let me know if you want some.
centralRH

Postby Laser4G63 » June 9th, 2011, 7:17 am

centralRH wrote:Jake and Jackson crew. I have a bunch of left over trail arrows from Anderson. I would like to keep a small stock, but I have plenty I could give up. Let me know if you want some.

The only problem I see with the arrows is that people like to destroy things in the park. I can see them ripping them down. Maybe I am wrong and they will be fine, but from what I've witnessed.....

I think the paint would be a better solution and can't really be messed with.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby centralRH » June 9th, 2011, 7:29 am

Arrows do tend to have a magical ability to walk away. That is why I am keeping a small stock. Offer is always there if you want to try them.
centralRH

Postby Laser4G63 » June 9th, 2011, 7:35 am

I'll let someone else chime in on the arrows. That was just my personal opinion.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » June 9th, 2011, 11:57 am

Thanks Brad, but the last time I asked the park about putting signs up I was told no. It has to be approved my the park board and CCC for some reason.
jake

Postby centralRH » June 9th, 2011, 12:28 pm

There not signs. There arrows :wink:

Surprised you are allowed to paint. Do you need to where a mask and hide your identity while conducting this operation?
centralRH

Postby Laser4G63 » June 9th, 2011, 12:45 pm

jake wrote:Thanks Brad, but the last time I asked the park about putting signs up I was told no. It has to be approved my the park board and CCC for some reason.

I like how you have to run it by the CCC when they are nowhere to be found out there. Do they clean the trails? Maintain them? Ride them? The park I understand, but the CCC seems to be MIA.
Craig
Laser4G63

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions