Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby F7Cannon » August 9th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Rode there last weekend for the first time. I have to say I was glad I made the drive from Mason to Jackson. Definatley different then any of the other trails I have ridden in Michigan, but a pretty cool concept and the trails seem to be taken well care of for the most part. I really enjoyed the school and tunnel trails, rode those three times in a row. A few of the shorter trails were nothing to special but the one with the switchbacks actually got me breathing a little heavy and unexpectedly in the wrong gear having to walk the bike. Would love to ride these trails with people who know how to link them together so I don't just wander around from trail to trail.
F7Cannon

Postby spwrozek » August 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm

Let me know I can ride anytime after work or on Sunday. There is a group ride on Monday as well (although I can't say how many people are showing up...).

As far as where to park and the best route... Park at the Museum Lot. Ride the loops like this.

Museum -> School house -> Tunnel (go back to school house and out) -> Hedgerow -> Probert (take the right on the way in for the switch back hills) -> Driving Range -> Ride the road up to 1-4 -> East River -> North -> Take the path back to the parking lot.
spwrozek

Postby Laser4G63 » August 17th, 2010, 7:30 am

Rode the trails yesterday. The bridge was back, which is a plus. However, there is a lot of overgrowth with those burr things that like to stick to everything you wear, not to mention scratching the *beep* out of your arms and legs. I would like to set up a day to trim back the overgrowth. Only problem is that I don't have one of those manual weed cutter tools. If someone wants to get this going and has the right gear, I am all for it.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby spwrozek » August 17th, 2010, 9:31 am

We rode everything but the tunnel trail last night and the place is in rough shape. Like you said it needs a lot of trimming. It also has a crazy amount of sticks on the trail. MLKuhl had his derailleur hanger break yesterday on section 1 because of one.

Also we had 4 people at the group ride, not too bad.
spwrozek

Postby MLKuhl » August 19th, 2010, 10:15 am

Finished my monday evening ride this morning on my 26er, THAT WAS PRETTY FUN!!. Thinking this bike just might be better suited for these trails. I agree the trails are rough and need a good cleaning.
MLKuhl

Postby Laser4G63 » August 29th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Rode the trails earlier today. The usual debris on the trails and overgrowth. Who is in charge of maintaining the trails in there? CCC? Reason I ask is because they aren't doing a very good job of it, IMO. If they don't want to maintain them, then why not step back and let someone else (MMBA) do it? I know it's been discussed before, but I am really getting burnt out on these trails due to the lack of maintenance.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby spwrozek » August 29th, 2010, 2:50 pm

You can ask Jake about this but basically that has been the question for 5+ years. I pretty much have just drove to Anderson, burchfield, and Fort Custer to ride most of the year.
spwrozek

Postby Laser4G63 » August 29th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Going to other trails every time I ride isn't really an option for me at this time. Maybe once or twice a month. It is unfortunate because those trails could be so much better. I like the trails in there, don't get me wrong, but the weeds need to be cut back on portions of the trail as well as the trails needing built back up from all the washout earlier this year. Oh well, c'est la vie, I guess.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby spwrozek » August 29th, 2010, 8:53 pm

I totally agree. the key word is could. my understanding of the relationship as it is now basically puts it at not going to happen. It does suck because there is some good trail out there. Plus a bunch of potential to improve it.

And ya I have road a lot less this year then last year because of how little I have been to Sharp Park. I tried to get something done this year and all it accomplished was to get the CCC out there with a DR Trimming and some chainsaws to clear the down trees. They are by there own admittance mostly a bunch of roadies who don't even ride the trails (which begs the question, why be in charge of taking care of them...?).
spwrozek

Postby Laser4G63 » September 5th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Rode some trails today. Pretty decent shape. Excellent weather to ride. Going back out tomorrow too.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby Laser4G63 » September 20th, 2010, 8:26 am

I was on the trails yesterday and they weren't too bad. Just a lot of sticks and crap on the trails.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby toobadd » September 20th, 2010, 12:57 pm

I there still a group ride going out here still? I remember a few years ago. I was just wonder the times and days if its still going on.
Thanks for any info
The Brain: Are you pondering what I?m pondering?
Pinky: Yes Brain, but if our knees bent the other way, how would we ride a bicycle?
toobadd

Postby Laser4G63 » September 20th, 2010, 1:08 pm

If there are, they take place at 6pm on Monday. Meet up at the museum parking lot. I haven't went on one yet, so I am not sure if they are still taking place.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby spwrozek » September 20th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Last time I showed up there was a total of three of us. That is pretty much typical though. I haven't been since before labor day though.
spwrozek

Postby MLKuhl » September 21st, 2010, 11:59 am

Yes there are still group rides. ( maybe i should say pair ride) Just two people last night which is typical, the most i've seen ever were 5 riders. They are mon. @ 6:00pm @ museum parkinglot. And trails have lots of debris on them.
MLKuhl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions