Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Flyer 130 » July 8th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Got out for the first time to ride some trails today North, sec 1-4, and Driving Range...like most of the posts before alot of face and body slappers and a couple of head strikers. With a little bit of help these trails could be really fun...

I looked on the CCC website and yes they don't ride the trails everyday like most of us (they mostly ride roads or two tracks) we will have to teach them what real MTB, multi use trails look like and how they are taken care of....

Ideas for the trails...
Take a pair of hand loppers out and take oout that slapper that got you
updated maps would be great hand drawn stars do not really define where the trail goes
defining the real trails with signage or flags/paint and lettiing all of the cuts offs go back to nature

Just a thought has anyone thought of approaching CCC about them having a MTB division?

Just my thoughts
Flyer 130

Postby jake » July 9th, 2012, 7:05 am

The park and CCC have been approached many times. It's just a losing battle.
Use this code for 15% off your first purchase of Hammer nutrition products.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/148136

Sponsored by: Wheels in Motion
http://prisoncityracing.blogspot.com/
jake

Postby Laser4G63 » July 9th, 2012, 8:25 am

Flyer 130 wrote:Got out for the first time to ride some trails today North, sec 1-4, and Driving Range...like most of the posts before alot of face and body slappers and a couple of head strikers. With a little bit of help these trails could be really fun...

I looked on the CCC website and yes they don't ride the trails everyday like most of us (they mostly ride roads or two tracks) we will have to teach them what real MTB, multi use trails look like and how they are taken care of....

Ideas for the trails...
Take a pair of hand loppers out and take oout that slapper that got you
updated maps would be great hand drawn stars do not really define where the trail goes
defining the real trails with signage or flags/paint and lettiing all of the cuts offs go back to nature

Just a thought has anyone thought of approaching CCC about them having a MTB division?

Just my thoughts

The only things that can be done is cleaning the trails and maybe get the trails marked. As for trying to get a good flow to the trails and blocking off the shortcuts, etc., it's been tried and people just remove the blocked off portions. It also *beep* me off that someone keeps removing the rocks from the trails. I mean, if they are that much of a *beep*, then they don't need to ride them. You're right, though, it can be a fun trail to ride if taken care of properly and people don't keep stealing bridges. It's just that one person can't do it alone.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » July 9th, 2012, 9:09 am

I pushed for trail markings at my last meeting with the park and I was shot down. I even offered to pay for the signs myself.

The guy from CCC who has been out there doing some work is probably the one removing the rocks. He also cuts out all of the rideable log piles. He has been told several times its a mtb trail, but does not listen.

jake

Postby MLKuhl » July 9th, 2012, 10:45 am

Wow, Im puzzled! Wondering how this guy got put in charge of the trails, is he hoping to ride his road bike out there by removing everything? Doesn't sound like he has a clue. I think Scott is a CCC member, maybe he can "enlighten" this guy.I don't want to complain to much, i've only made it out for a couple trail days but it is pretty disheartning when I ride poto or custer and then come back to sharp park....
MLKuhl

Postby Flyer 130 » July 9th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Rode Probert, Hedge Row, Museum and 1/2 School House and Tunnel took a wrong turn.
These trails where in better shape then yesterdays ride but still some of the typical stuff...except for the tree that they trimmed on Museum that is pretty close to the trail at chest level...I know I grazed it
As far as the CCC guy taking out rock and cutting rideable log piles This quote that we all have read from CCC "Because of these considerations, any modifications to existing trails and the creation of any new trails must be performed with the approval of the Cascades Cycling Club."
Taking out rocks and cutting rideable log piles constitues a modification in my book and i would like to know what approval he had. Being a member of the CCC does not give you the right to make modifications because you felt like it.
Jake needs help from the members in the area and I will help in any manner I can. I hope others feel the same way as Laser said one person can not do it alone.
"Off Soap Box"
Thoughts about a TRAIL Ride Night? Monday? Four riders+ word of Mouth = more riders and a great time!
Flyer 130

Postby jake » July 9th, 2012, 12:36 pm

"Because of these considerations, any modifications to existing trails and the creation of any new trails must be performed with the approval of the Cascades Cycling Club."

I am almost positive this was not part of the original agreement with the city. This was added years ago after I made a rock garden in the Schoolhouse trail. It was about 10 feet long with huge rocks and a bypass, but the guy who use to take care of the trail didn't like it so he removed it. Then I put it back, and then it was removed again. :D

As for a weekly ride there has always been a Monday night group ride. Meets at 6:00pm at the museum parking lot. I went out twice this year and both nights there were no other riders. I am not sure if anyone has shown up at all this year. Most Monday nights I am not around. A couple of years ago we were getting close to 10 riders each week.

I did a ton of trail work early this spring on my own, but I haven't been out there much at all lately. Most of my riding has been at other trails.

jake

Postby MLKuhl » July 9th, 2012, 12:41 pm

To my knowledge they do have group rides..Monday,6pm meet @ museum parking lot. I haven't been to any this summer & turn out is usually low judging by last few seasons. Oh, I mean what Jake just said :D
MLKuhl

Postby Flyer 130 » July 9th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Anyone up for a ride to show a newbie what a good trail flow shoud be?
Flyer 130

Postby jake » July 9th, 2012, 2:53 pm

I might be able to make it out there some time this week to show you around.

My favorite way to put them togehter is: Museum - Schoolhouse - Tunnel (sometimes) - Hedgerow - Driving Range (backwards) - Pine Tree section (cant' remember name) - North trail.

Sometimes I add Probert after Hedgerow then Driving range backwards. If I want more after North I will do sections 1 and 2 as well. I don't generally ride 1-4, because I ride singlespeed and just don't find these sections that much fun.

jake

Postby MLKuhl » July 9th, 2012, 3:05 pm

Pretty much EARLY weekends are the only time I can get out for now, I could also meet you sometime if you'd like. As far as learning all the trails though Jake is your best bet. I know most of them but the pines always screw me up.
MLKuhl

Postby Flyer 130 » July 9th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Thanks Jake and MLKuhl Thursday night might be the only night this we for me as I'm taking the bike back to work to ride Custer tommorow and Wednesday. I should have my new bike when I get home from work on Thursday...and why do have to work this weekend
Flyer 130

Postby Laser4G63 » July 10th, 2012, 9:25 am

How many people ride these trails? The reason I ask is because I rarely see anyone riding there. When I first discovered this trail, there were times I would see 3 or 4 (or more) riders on them. Now, I have the whole trail to myself at times. I may see 1 person, but that's it. I may be riding at the wrong time, but this is even on the weekends. My guess is that I have over 600 miles riding in Sharp Park this year since this trail is only a mile from my house. I would just love to see more people riding there.
Craig
Laser4G63

Postby jake » July 10th, 2012, 9:48 am

I think the majority of the people that ride this trail are not on this forum. I know all of the people who I ride with here in town do not check this forum.

Everytime I have ridden out there this year I have passed at least one other person. I know of about 20 people who ride here although it may be infrequent, because most of us will go somewhere else to ride on the weekend.

I doubt the trail will ever be anything more than just for the locals. I can't see to many people coming here to ride when there are so many other great trails with in a short drive. I can make it to ton of other trails in less than an hour which are a lot more fun to ride.

jake

Postby MLKuhl » July 10th, 2012, 11:08 am

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way Jake does. With Custer and Poto less then an hour away and the fact that I only get out about once a week I will drive to those places where the trails are properly maintained by mmba...and they do a great job. If I could get out more im sure I would throw sharp park into the mix but right now thats just not in the cards.

Matt
MLKuhl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments