Mid-State: Ella Sharp

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Mid-State: Ella Sharp

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:33 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Ella Sharp in Jackson
Todd Scott

Postby scat silvurz » May 9th, 2004, 11:06 pm

rode ella sharp for the first time today - I couldn't ride everything, but I really liked the 1,2,3,4 trails, the west river trail, and the museum trail - i actually saw a hawk carry off a chipmunk on the museum trail, that was a thrill!

I think it will take me a few more trips to really get the hang of how to do all the loops, but its worth the effort in my opinion. Awesome trail, very fun and scenic - cant wait to explore the other loops!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Lots of trees down at Ella Sharp

Postby enduro_phreak » May 31st, 2004, 7:53 pm

Rode Ella Sharp Park today. Unfortunately, the recent storms in Jackson have badly damaged some of the trails. Most heavily impacted is the Tunnel trail, it is unrideable because there is a tree down across the trail every 30 yards. The Probert trail also has a lot of trees down.

I ride at Ella Sharp all the time, and am willing to wield a chainsaw and help clear some of the debris. If anyone who is responsible for maintenance there wants to email me about getting together a work crew, I'm willing to help out. joebre@umich.edu
enduro_phreak

First Time at Ella

Postby pobini » June 1st, 2004, 3:55 pm

Rode about half the trails last Sat. :D KUDOS to the Cascades Club for keeping the trails in good condition. Keep up the good work. I think the Probert trail was the only one with a major blockage.

Jackson bikers are lucky to have such a nice set of trails. We have NOTHING to speak of in Toledo.
pobini

How are the trails?

Postby Paperboy326 » April 6th, 2005, 12:27 pm

How are the trail conditions any recent updates with the dry weather?

Scott
Paperboy326

Postby jake » May 9th, 2005, 2:12 pm

The trails are completely dry and clear of all obstacles that I currently no of, but each day I go out it seems as though something new is down in the trail. I generally clean it as I ride.

Groups rides are every Monday starting at 6:00pm. Meet at the museum parking lot.
jake

Postby jlcalc » April 23rd, 2006, 8:06 am

I rode a few of the trails at ella on friday and they were in pretty good shape.
jlcalc

Postby jake » April 23rd, 2006, 2:30 pm

We will be starting up the Monday night group rides the first week of May. Tomorrow will be riding the rail trail to Concord and back meeting at 6:00pm fourth street trailhead.

Monday night Ella Sharp rides.
6:00pm musuem parking lot.
jake

Postby jdwilliams » March 29th, 2007, 12:06 pm

Does anyone know how the trails are looking?
jdwilliams

Postby jake » April 1st, 2007, 3:17 pm

I rode some of them today. The museum and schoolhouse trails were in great shape. The tunnel had quite a few spots that were still very wet and one tree down that is blocking the trail. Most of the other high areas are in good shape as well, but I would stay away from anything that runs near the river they are still pretty wet.
jake

North Loop is Killer

Postby twuphaus » May 8th, 2007, 8:47 pm

The 2 mile loop is looking very good after some hard cleaning. Totally rideable...go hard and fast or enjoy the sights and river with a slow curise. Other trails need some work...get out there and make them pretty.
twuphaus

GREAT TRAILS!

Postby lucasfoster80 » July 8th, 2007, 9:22 pm

I am originally from the Jackson area, so I figured I'd give the Ella Sharp trails a shot - and I was GREATLY IMPRESSED! This is a real gem right in the middle of Jackson! Excellent, fun trails, and this is a perfect location for someone that is new to trail riding. Very fun, and challenging at times.

One question for those personally close to these trails: Is there any word on possible signage once inside the trails? I did see some orange dots to follow, but at times, the trails were a bit confusing. I would be willing to help out if you have any work days in the future.

Once again, I was very impressed and look forward to riding these trails next time I head home to Jackson!

:D
lucasfoster80

Postby jake » July 9th, 2007, 4:59 pm

I agree the signage at Ella Sharp is very poor. Unfortunately, that will probably never be improved upon. The Cascades Cycling Club actually maintains the park not the MMBA. I mentioned to the person who takes care of the park that I have signage material that was donated by one of the olcal businesses but he wasn't interested at all.
Use this code for 15% off your first purchase of Hammer nutrition products.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/148136

Sponsored by: Wheels in Motion
http://prisoncityracing.blogspot.com/
jake

Signage

Postby lucasfoster80 » July 10th, 2007, 7:20 am

Thanks for the udpate on the signage (previous post). It's disappointing that things may never improve - there is so much potential.

I am going to contact the cycling club...maybe if a few outsiders put some pressure on them, they will do something. I would even be willing to help.

Thanks!
lucasfoster80

Postby jake » July 31st, 2007, 11:42 am

I have been riding the trails quite frequently the last couple of weeks. Everything is in pretty decent shape. The sand is a little thick in spots in sections 1-4, but that is normal. There are a ton of deer out there so watch out for them, I swear I am gonna hit one.
Use this code for 15% off your first purchase of Hammer nutrition products.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/148136

Sponsored by: Wheels in Motion
http://prisoncityracing.blogspot.com/
jake

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments