Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Bcar » October 28th, 2015, 6:08 am

https://www.facebook.com/events/1490496 ... story=null

That time of year again!

This will be more of the misfit group devils night nite ride, Advanced-Expert. Meet at 7, Corner of Bydding Rd and Robin Rd (house will be marked) in N.W. A2, wheels turning at 730. Bonfires with BYOB after, or Casey's Tavern based on group preference. Bonus points for riding this and the PSSWC on Saturday the 31st!

Bring a light and a backup light as well as a way to navigate and communicate (cell phone) if you get lost! There will be a ~10mile loop as well as a ~15mile loop. Costumes Strongly Recommended.

A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby raptorTC » October 31st, 2015, 12:48 pm

Low hanging tree just after the left turn off the 2 track going back to Kuebler Langford. It's high enough to duck under, but low enough to ring your bell if you're not careful!
raptorTC

Postby wifehatesthebike » November 1st, 2015, 8:56 am

During the Devils Night ride I lost a Planet Bike Superflash taillight, black housing and clear lense. If anyone finds it, I'd be eternally grateful to be reunited.
wifehatesthebike

Postby chong » November 1st, 2015, 9:44 am

wifehatesthebike wrote:During the Devils Night ride I lost a Planet Bike Superflash taillight, black housing and clear lense. If anyone finds it, I'd be eternally grateful to be reunited.

I know that somebody went back and picked it up. Don't know who.
chong

Postby wifehatesthebike » November 1st, 2015, 12:18 pm

I think that was a different light that fell.
wifehatesthebike

Postby jmf003 » November 18th, 2015, 3:14 pm

The teeter totter in Olson is out of commission, with the board laying sideways across the base.

There's a large dead tree leaning across the trail about chest high near the Leslie Science Center. It's pretty rotten; a good bow saw might be able to cut it.

Other than that, the trail is good! At least it was this morning before the rain started.
jmf003

Postby arfenarf » December 14th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Went out Saturday and had a good time - on the whole, the trail is in great condition.

There are more and more broken boards on the ramp that exits the tunnel under M14, eastbound. Is it OK if I just bring wood and a hammer and fix it, or does this have to be coordinated with someone?

I also went south on the trail that connects Dhu Varren with Traver beside the railroad. It's in atrocious shape in spots but could be so lovely. Is it being deliberately neglected in favor of nudging us a different direction, or just waiting for someone with energy and resources (and permission?)

Anyway, thanks to everyone who does their bit on the Local Loop. I love having that kind of riding right at hand.
arfenarf

Postby jmf003 » December 14th, 2015, 1:16 pm

arfenarf wrote:...There are more and more broken boards on the ramp that exits the tunnel under M14, eastbound. Is it OK if I just bring wood and a hammer and fix it, or does this have to be coordinated with someone?

I signed up to be the lead on maintaining the Connector trail (which includes the tunnel) and I'm fine with you fixing the boards. Thanks for offering!

I also went south on the trail that connects Dhu Varren with Traver beside the railroad. It's in atrocious shape in spots but could be so lovely. Is it being deliberately neglected in favor of nudging us a different direction, or just waiting for someone with energy and resources (and permission?)....

It's a catch-22. That trail is almost always wet in a number of places, which leads to it getting less use, which leads to it getting more overgrown. It's a useful trail to travel between Olson Park and Stapp Nature Area, so it'd be nice if it was more rideable.
jmf003

Postby arfenarf » December 16th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Me again:

If you haven't already heard from other sources, the city of Ann Arbor is culling deer in virtually all the parks making up the Local Loop.

Parks will be closed after 4:00 PM from Jan 1 to March 31. Please for not to get yourself shot.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... rt_m-rpt-2
arfenarf

Postby jmf003 » December 16th, 2015, 2:27 pm

arfenarf wrote:Me again:

If you haven't already heard from other sources, the city of Ann Arbor is culling deer in virtually all the parks making up the Local Loop.

Parks will be closed after 4:00 PM from Jan 1 to March 31. Please for not to get yourself shot.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/ind ... rt_m-rpt-2

It's nuts. Many city residents (including me) have contacted our city council representatives to point out how onerous the closure schedule would be. Hopefully it will be altered before it even starts.
jmf003

Postby arfenarf » December 16th, 2015, 2:29 pm

I have absolutely no problem with the cull. I've had two friends injured *very badly* when they hit a deer with their bikes. And I understand the timing, within limits: deer are active around dawn and dusk.

But especially later in the winter, even those who don't like riding in the dark will be wanting to be in the parks well after 4:00.

:(
arfenarf

Postby shredbetty61 » December 19th, 2015, 7:50 am

I'd like to do some winter riding, this will be new for me. I'm using a bike with 26x 2.25" tires. Is it safe to go when we've had a small amount of snow like last night and the temperatures remain below freezing? should I avoid it if warms up tomorrow, will it become too slippery? I want to have a fun, injury free ride. Thanks :)
shredbetty61

Postby jmf003 » December 19th, 2015, 11:25 am

shredbetty61 wrote:I'd like to do some winter riding, this will be new for me. I'm using a bike with 26x 2.25" tires. Is it safe to go when we've had a small amount of snow like last night and the temperatures remain below freezing? should I avoid it if warms up tomorrow, will it become too slippery? I want to have a fun, injury free ride. Thanks :)

Yes, I'd expect the AA Loop to be rideable on regular mtb tires this morning. General rule of thumb: watch as you ride and if you find yourself cutting through a frozen top layer into muck underneath, it'd be good to stop.
jmf003

Postby jmf003 » December 26th, 2015, 8:15 pm

There's a large tree (~18" diameter) down across one of the trails in Leslie Woods, just north of the Upland Drive entrance/exit.
jmf003

Postby jmf003 » January 3rd, 2016, 3:04 pm

Trail surface in good shape for the most part.

A puddle (frozen today) has developed in front of and along side the teeter totter in Leslie; probably needs to be contoured in order to drain.

There's still a large tree trunk across the trail in Leslie Woods. Requires a chainsaw.

A new large tree trunk is across the trail in Camp Hilltop Park, between Kuebler Langford and Barton. Requires a chainsaw.

A large tree top (maybe 30' to 40' across) is blocking the trail in Sunset Park near the Beachwood Drive entrance. Probably could handle it with pruning tools but it'll take a while.
jmf003

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments