Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Redstone Liger » July 23rd, 2014, 12:45 pm

The Bluffs and Leslie are pretty overgrown and will need a power trimmer rather than hand tools.

If I could get my hands on a chapter power trimmer I'd be happy to lend a hand. My home trimmer is not commercial grade.

It's definitely poison ivy season out there.

There's a tree down in the bluffs. Starting at main going clockwise it's about a half mile on the outer loop.

Let me know.
Scott

“All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
Gordie Howe
Redstone Liger

Postby Bcar » July 24th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Scott,
Thanks! Are you going to the chapter meeting next week? I could bring a trimmer to that.

Agree, a bit of leslie is really thick. I should be able to get out within the next week or so. I'll hit up barton park near the river and those stupid logs on the side of the trail.

twas sooo nice to ride yesterday!
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » August 3rd, 2014, 5:56 pm

Just a heads up - they are starting construction on something on the south side of Stapp, so that path that connects Stapp to Leslie Woods is gone right now. Also, wear long sleeves. Certain areas are over grown w/ thorny plants.

Lastly, thanks to whomever got to Leslie Park connector, it's far more enjoyable now.
oogs

Postby Scaryrider » August 4th, 2014, 10:19 pm

I took care of the tree in The Bluffs tonight, and trimmed back some of the brush on the descent from the north end.

There's a tree down in the bluffs. Starting at main going clockwise it's about a half mile on the outer loop.
Scaryrider

Postby Scaryrider » August 5th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Thanks to whoever trimmed in Kuebler-Langford/GSC today.
Scaryrider

Postby bill_m » August 6th, 2014, 9:28 am

That was oogs (Chris). The loop is getting into pretty respectable shape. All we need to do next is hit the M-14 underpass section. Thanks for everyone's help out there!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby oogs » August 6th, 2014, 1:08 pm

bill_m wrote:That was oogs (Chris). The loop is getting into pretty respectable shape. All we need to do next is hit the M-14 underpass section. Thanks for everyone's help out there!

I might be able to get that in the next few days. Just need to get those blades... and a face shield of some sort, as I'm still cleaning grass out of my sun glasses :P
oogs

Postby oogs » August 6th, 2014, 6:41 pm

Just a reminder, Bird Hills is not part of the local loop. In fact, you aren't supposed to take bikes on there.
oogs

Postby Bcar » August 7th, 2014, 10:24 am

Do you need a blade cutter chris? Carl has that one repaired now. The string trimmer works much better in the tall grass sections, and the blade works better for the more weedy sections.

After the leslie connector, there is the section in barton park near the river and traver... I can try to hit up the barton section.

thanks to everyone who's helping!

p.s. I got hit in the face more at poto yesterday than I get hit on local loop ;) :P
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » August 7th, 2014, 10:55 am

Bcar wrote:Do you need a blade cutter chris? Carl has that one repaired now. The string trimmer works much better in the tall grass sections, and the blade works better for the more weedy sections.

I need to get some more trimmer line (the line I had got caught on something and yanked out of the spool), and was hoping they'd have something along the lines of a blade attachment for this. If not, I'll survive with this trimmer - the thing is a beast.
oogs

Postby Bcar » August 7th, 2014, 12:18 pm

oogs wrote:
Bcar wrote:Do you need a blade cutter chris? Carl has that one repaired now. The string trimmer works much better in the tall grass sections, and the blade works better for the more weedy sections.

I need to get some more trimmer line (the line I had got caught on something and yanked out of the spool), and was hoping they'd have something along the lines of a blade attachment for this. If not, I'll survive with this trimmer - the thing is a beast.

Ive got more string for it and should be around this afternoon. I think we should keep one string and one a blade.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Bcar » August 8th, 2014, 8:13 am

I was able to trim a little of Barton park (dam) last night before I got recalled to home :) I wasnt able to kick all of the branches off the trail though, if you're out riding there, please take a few min to toss a few branches on the trail deeper into the woods. I hope to get out later this weekend and finish the section along the river.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » August 16th, 2014, 12:38 pm

I trimmed a good chunk of the Whitmore Lake -> Pontiac trail connector today. Let me know if there are any other spots that require some attention - I was focused on the areas immediately on either side of US23.
oogs

Postby Bcar » August 19th, 2014, 11:45 am

sweeet! thanks oggs!

also, someone has been removing/cutting roots and rocks out of the loop. PLEASE stop! you'll get beat by a rubber hose if caught...
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby bill_m » August 25th, 2014, 5:32 pm

oogs wrote:I trimmed a good chunk of the Whitmore Lake -> Pontiac trail connector today. Let me know if there are any other spots that require some attention - I was focused on the areas immediately on either side of US23.

Thanks for knocking back that section, it looks great!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments