Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Bcar » October 27th, 2014, 6:40 am

Trail is in really good shape!
Dont forget the Devils night nite ride this thursday Oct 30th, meeting at 228 sunset rd. by the elks lodge at 630pm, wheels turning at 7pm.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » October 27th, 2014, 11:11 am

Took a morning off to ride the local loop. Trail surface is in marvelous shape. The big leaner on the connector trail between the two log piles has dropped a bit. I brushed my hydration pack while riding under it and in the past I've always cleared it cleanly. Probably doesn't need cutting but will if it drops more.
jmf003

Postby oogs » October 27th, 2014, 3:15 pm

jmf003 wrote:Took a morning off to ride the local loop. Trail surface is in marvelous shape. The big leaner on the connector trail between the two log piles has dropped a bit. I brushed my hydration pack while riding under it and in the past I've always cleared it cleanly. Probably doesn't need cutting but will if it drops more.

The tree in this connector, right after the Hilldale path (around the 5mi marker)?

That's been there all summer, it's just a matter of time really.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » October 27th, 2014, 3:34 pm

oogs wrote:The tree in this connector, right after the Hilldale path (around the 5mi marker)?

Yep, that's it. Agree it's not new. I think there's less clearance underneath it than there was last week and earlier in the season.

FWIW....
jmf003

Postby oogs » October 27th, 2014, 6:30 pm

jmf003 wrote:
oogs wrote:The tree in this connector, right after the Hilldale path (around the 5mi marker)?

Yep, that's it. Agree it's not new. I think there's less clearance underneath it than there was last week and earlier in the season.

FWIW....

Turns out we were thinking of different trees in the same area, but both are getting lower. One is barely ridable - I wouldn't want to be the one nudging it loose. It might be worth cutting them down soon, specially before we get any permanent snow.

Unrelated: I ran across 5 kids under the M14 tunnel spray painting. One of them decided it would be funny to chase me (for *beep* and giggles) from the start of the tunnel about half way down. Just an FYI really - I don't care about the spray painting, I do care about the kid that chased me (even as a joke).
oogs

Postby Bcar » October 28th, 2014, 10:04 am

should have slammed on your brakes and started to chase him! LOL.
Ive been chased by a pitbull in that same area. no bueno.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » October 29th, 2014, 11:11 am

Deadfall across the trail in Olson park. About 7" diameter...too large for me to move. A couple hundred yards before the teeter totter.

An entire section of woods and trail was bulldozed in the south end of Stapp Nature Area. Google Maps shows the affected area extending well inside the Nature Area but that seems nuts so maybe the map is wrong?
jmf003

Postby Bcar » October 29th, 2014, 11:15 am

jmf003 wrote:Deadfall across the trail in Olson park. About 7" diameter...too large for me to move. A couple hundred yards before the teeter totter.

An entire section of woods and trail was bulldozed in the south end of Stapp Nature Area. Google Maps shows the affected area extending well inside the Nature Area but that seems nuts so maybe the map is wrong?

that would be for the new 1st Martin Development... Apartments going in, Ive met with them a year or two ago and they were on-board with putting in a connector trail on their property connecting Stapp and Leslie. I haven’t been out that way in a while so haven’t seen what it currently looks like.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » October 29th, 2014, 11:59 am

Bcar wrote:
jmf003 wrote:Deadfall across the trail in Olson park. About 7" diameter...too large for me to move. A couple hundred yards before the teeter totter.

that would be for the new 1st Martin Development... Apartments going in, Ive met with them a year or two ago and they were on-board with putting in a connector trail on their property connecting Stapp and Leslie. I haven’t been out that way in a while so haven’t seen what it currently looks like.

Here's the route I rode:

The north end of the construction is where I turned west, trying to find a route to ride near the golf course. I eventually gave up, turned east, and took the road.

If the map is correct a lot of acres in the Nature Area got wiped out but that just seems so un-Ann Arbor that I have to think the map boundary is incorrect.
jmf003

Postby Bcar » October 29th, 2014, 12:24 pm

map isnt 100% correct. 1st martin actually donated some land to the city to increase the size of the park (and to gain approval for their project.). their delv plan is on the web.

http://annarborchronicle.com/tag/stapp-nature-area/
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » October 29th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Bcar wrote:map isnt 100% correct. 1st martin actually donated some land to the city to increase the size of the park (and to gain approval for their project.). their delv plan is on the web.

http://annarborchronicle.com/tag/stapp-nature-area/

That map makes a lot more sense!
jmf003

Postby oogs » October 29th, 2014, 8:11 pm

For a while there you could actually hop their barrier and ride through the site to the rest of the trail. I haven't been there in a few weeks, so I don't know if that's the case anymore.
oogs

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments