Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby shippenville » April 13th, 2015, 3:11 pm

I rode pretty much every section of the loop yesterday evening. Everything was in great condition and surprisingly dry with the exception of two mud pits in Olson park (at the usual spots) and the Traver railroad track connector trail (avoid this trial for now).

As noted previously, there is a large tree down in Olson towards the beginning of the loop just after entering the woods after hitting the berm. There is also a big dead log down in K-L, which could probably be moved with three people.

In the section of trail that passes under M-14, it looked as though someone took a motorized something (moped?) on the trail. There were some very wide tire tracks (not a fat bike--huge heavy lugs) and evidence of someone twisting a throttle a bit too much.

Enjoy it now before it needs trimmed back and before the deer flies come out!
shippenville

Postby oogs » April 13th, 2015, 6:58 pm

The trail is in very nice condition. A few wet spots here and there, and traditionally muddy areas are, of course, muddy.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » April 15th, 2015, 8:26 am

Trail was marvelous yesterday. Tree in KL has been rolled to the side; thanks to whoever took care of that! The big tree in Olson is still across the trail.
jmf003

Postby oogs » April 18th, 2015, 3:21 pm

The trail is pretty much perfect. The back side of the loop, near the construction, requires you to head towards the road and around the giant wall (or drop-off, depending on where you are) that's between Stapp and the small lake. Then you can continue in to the next nature area normally.
oogs

Postby shredbetty61 » April 19th, 2015, 8:59 am

Could someone send me the A2 loop in detail? I've ridden much of it with help from riders I've met on the trail, but haven't figured out the connections. K-L was new to me last year, what a place! I loved it, seeing the trillium in bloom and at the same time the view of HRD from above. Couldn't find where to go after Sunset park either. Thanks Mary
shredbetty61@yahoo.com
shredbetty61

Postby DynoDon » April 19th, 2015, 9:28 am

That is a hard trail to ride, there is no way to figure it out for me. I've ridden it with others, but I'm not sure they knew the whole thing either, then I was just following, when I go out by myself I get very confused. I enjoyed the trail, but not getting lost.
DynoDon

Postby Bcar » April 19th, 2015, 9:57 am

We're working on getting a map approved by the city...

Sunset brooks is pretty short, one main north to south line with a short loop to the west.

KL has 3 main entrances/exts. The one off of beechwood Dr at the birdhills trailhead(feeder parks: sunsebrooks and bluffs). HRD and the bridge to Barton part. Railroad track area that the city wants a crossing over/under but it is way too $ to make it ADA compliant. That leads to b2b and other connector roads.

If you ask 10 people what the loop is, you'll get 20 answers! I'm still finding new stuff, the west side alone has ~20 miles of trail that I've ridden + maybe 5 road miles to connect it. ...and the potential is a 50 MI loop...
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby scat silvurz » April 19th, 2015, 10:27 am

delete
Last edited by scat silvurz on April 19th, 2015, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby scat silvurz » April 19th, 2015, 10:28 am

shredbetty61 wrote:Could someone send me the A2 loop in detail?shredbetty61@yahoo.com

Detail of Olsen park
scat silvurz

Postby scat silvurz » April 19th, 2015, 10:47 am

delete
scat silvurz

Postby SwaggerSpice » April 19th, 2015, 10:19 pm

I've never been to The Ridge trails. What are they by?
SwaggerSpice

Postby DynoDon » April 20th, 2015, 8:04 am

I've found the ridge trails twice, first time from the top with the river on the left, very technical stuff, the second time I found it from the bottom, but thats not a trail to climb on.. sure is good the other way though...
DynoDon

Postby SwaggerSpice » April 20th, 2015, 3:53 pm

wait..I know exactly where it is.

I didn't even think of that being a MTB-accessible trail, but I've traveled it twice and it would be a splendid descent that you could loop easily.
SwaggerSpice

Postby oogs » April 22nd, 2015, 9:09 pm

The trails are in good shape, a little wet from the snow (!) that's melting when it touches the ground.
oogs

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments