Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby jmf003 » June 9th, 2015, 4:15 pm

A little soft today but not outrageous for the most part.

Dead animal (small groundhog?) in the path in Olson Park along Dhu Varren. Unfortunately I didn't see any good way to move it off the path.

The mud puddle on the back side of Olson is pretty deep right now. I walked around it but rolled my wheels through it and they went down 5" - 6" below the water surface.

Definitely was "prairie schoonering" in the fields near Pontiac Trail. Will take clippers my next ride through to take out some more of the slappers.
jmf003

Postby oogs » June 9th, 2015, 10:03 pm

The trail work held up well - I could see signs of active drainage in the changes at Sunset & KL. The wood armoring in the dip at KL is helping, but isn't a permanent solution. Next up: trip a few areas in KL, and it's good.

I noticed someone trimmed at Barton too. Not sure if it was one of ours, but if so, thanks!
oogs

Postby oogs » June 15th, 2015, 7:48 am

Stating the obvious: flash flood warnings, 2"+ of rain, and cool temperatures lead to a muddy trail.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » June 15th, 2015, 8:06 am

oogs wrote:Stating the obvious: flash flood warnings, 2"+ of rain, and cool temperatures lead to a muddy trail.

2" was the official total out at the airport south of town but closer to the Local Loop we had over 4"! It'd be nice if the rain forecasted for this evening skips over us.
jmf003

Postby oogs » June 16th, 2015, 6:49 pm

There's lots of mud puddles out there. I would suggest giving the trail at least another day before riding.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » June 17th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I took some time off work to go branch pruning on the Local Loop this morning. It's still WAY too soft for riding.

I went through Bluffs, Sunset, KL, Barton, the Connector, and part of Olson. Ran out of time to do all of Olson and wasn't able to get to Leslie or Black Pond Woods. Sunset and KL were in good shape already. The new nicks at Sunset held up well; nice work! Someone had trimmed Bluffs from Sunset road inward but other trails there needed pruning. Olson needed a lot of pruning and still needs more than I was able to do. In retrospect I should have started at Olson.
jmf003

Postby oogs » June 24th, 2015, 7:37 pm

East side of Olson is very wet - there are several long tracts of mud, which is getting ruttier and ruttier. West Olson is still Jurassic Park (overgrowth), but that's getting fixed in the next week or two. I would avoid Olson until it dries out.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » June 24th, 2015, 7:58 pm

oogs wrote:East side of Olson is very wet - there are several long tracts of mud, which is getting ruttier and ruttier. West Olson is still Jurassic Park (overgrowth), but that's getting fixed in the next week or two. I would avoid Olson until it dries out.

Appreciated the heads-up on Olson. We avoided it on our group ride. Black Pond Woods was in good shape as was most of Bluffs, the Connector, and KL.

It'd be nice if the rain that's forecasted for tomorrow skips over us. We could use a few days in a row of dry weather.
jmf003

Postby Bcar » June 25th, 2015, 8:28 am

Thanks Oogs, you beat me to it. I actually rode yesterday, gasp! and olson is a wet mess on the east side...
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » June 29th, 2015, 9:55 am

Parts of the connector around M14 got a trim. Olson is still bad, avoid it. In general, the trail is still muddy.
oogs

Postby oogs » July 1st, 2015, 7:12 pm

The trail is holding up well, considering yesterday's rain. There are slick parts, there are over grown parts that need TLC, and there are the usual mud bogs. I think that this weekend without rain is going to do wonders for the trail.

Also, at least 1 tree down in KL, one in the connector, and lots of small debris. I happened to run over a branch with large (1/4" diameter, 2" long) thorns that ended my ride.
oogs

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments