Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Hench » May 20th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Just scoped out Olson, I would say if you rode it now you'd lay some fresh pizza cutters through about 10-15% of the trail, I avoided the woods section which is probably a bit worse off. Didn't ride the full city loop as I usually use Olson to test conditions and I don't think its quite ready, maybe in a few hours time I'll give it another go but for now tomorrow's looking like the best bet to put on the miles.

I took some time to try and armor one of the ruts which developed earlier in the spring by adding some dead-fall and straw across the rut. I've been doing this for the past couple years at Olson and it seems to work well once ridden in. Let me know if this bugs anyone or if you feel it helps manage trail damage, the sections i worked on are: SW past the concrete block off the path about an 1/8th of a mile in, and SE at around 1/2mile in from the beginning section off the parking lot (this last rut was pretty narrow and deep so I'm not sure how well the patch will hold up).
Hench

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 22nd, 2011, 6:53 pm

First time ever riding the A2 loop, finally found the Leslie Park enterance, thanks Scott! Looks like I just rode the western section. Met up with Adam who happen to be out there also. A guide is a must, I doubt I would have found my way to the dam without Adam. Rode the bluffs I keep hearing about, those are nice, one section looks a lot like one climb at the beginning of Bloomer park, then just keeps on going.

The only mud I encountered was near the end of Leslie, where a couple of good sized puddles made things a bit muddy. I used my fatbike, so if anyone sees 4" wide tracks through the puddles, don't panic, it wasn't an offroad motorcycle :mrgreen:
Steve_Balogh

Postby Hench » May 28th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Attempted Olson, I'd give it another day or two to dry out. I removed a couple downed trees but couldn't get that one which used to be duck-able round 2 miles in. I also noticed some vehicle tracks along the trail, i think it was just DTE servicing the lines but it was a bit strange seeing tracks towards the beginning of the trail and not just the portion near the lines, I don't think it was Steve on his fatty either.

Since Olson was mostly bust I decided to check out some woods I've always past on the road but for some reason never rode, I'm talking about Dhuvaran Woods which is (from Olson) east on, you guest it Dhuvaran, past the railroad tracks at the top of the hill on the right. I didn't see evidence of bike traffic but didn't see any signs discouraging it either. This seems to be a prime trail to develop further and could flow nicely into Traver creek to add another mile or two to the loop. As it stands now the trail begins with a nice fast downhill and curves right over a deteriorating log pile. I stopped at a creek which I deemed a bit to dicey to cross with the current water levels and headed back after getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. I'm not sure who the current TC is but it might be worth a shot to take a quick look at this trail, I know I'd be glad to donate some time in developing it if at all possible. (sorry if this has already been looked into just haven't seen this land mentioned before and it appears to be a nice piece of city property.)
Hench

ALERT! Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Bcar » June 2nd, 2011, 11:34 am

***ALERT*** down trees, mud, waterfall on trail :shock: ...

Girlscout camp:
There is a new huge tree down, I think this one is going to need a professional to cut down, prob 3' diameter, looks like oak (does the city sell this wood for furniture etc?? if not, I want it, LOL!). There are also 2 other trees down that should be cut, one is on the far north end along the river, there is a log pile now that at least makes it doable. There is another one in the middle area that people are riding around, should just be cut/cleared. I dont have a saw large enough.

Kuebler/Langford:
Just north of the bridge from Huron River Dr. on the main wood chip trail it is VERRRRY muddy, much worse than usual. As we were walking over the mud another rider came up and tried to ride it, we gave him a little hint to WALK YOUR @#$ BIKE!! board walk?? There is another big mud spot in the S.W. corner that is also going to need some big time help.

Barton Dam/Pond.
Just past the north bridge before you hit the dam and under the railroad bridge, the water is rushing over the paved sidewalk where people usually fish. As in 12+" deep and rushing over the pavement, Ive never seen it this high, and its flowing pretty fast as well, could be dangerous to walk w/cleats (i.e. feet getting washed out from under you). We rode it and worked out well, other than soaked feet... Well over our hubs.

Olson:
Riding ok, we didn?t do the loop in the S.E. corner as its usually pretty bad/muddy.

Leslie:
Riding well.

A2 DH/Ridge trail:
There was a big tree down around a blind corner that almost took out E, he pulled off an amazing E-brake-to-spread-eagle-dismount-to-body-check. We were able to cut this one out of the way. There is another low one that will need to be cut on the ridge just before the island drive exit. Also at the exit of the ridge by island dr. its really really muddy, a reroute here would prob work, but would take some bench cutting.

Bluffs:
Didn?t make it over last night, but I suspect some downed trees. Will try to ride it tonight.

Argo/Broadway area:
There is another tree down headed north west from Broadway on the paved section near argo nature area. We were able to clear at least some of it to make it passable without having to jungle gym... it still amazes me how many riders, walkers, hikers go by this area and don?t take the 2 min it took us to make it way better...(eyes rolling)

Overall there are some bad muddy spots, PLEASE WALK them or we're going to have grand canyon sized ruts, but the rest of the trail is riding really well. We grabbed as many face slappers as we could while riding, but there are many many more. As imagined, with all the rain/sun/rain its getting overgrown pretty quickly (its getting bad now). Grab a face slapper or two while riding, if we all do, it wont be bad at all!

happy trails!
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Bcar » June 14th, 2011, 10:19 am

loop in great shape. all the really wet spots are drying up nicely and most should prob be ridden on now as well to help steam-roll them flat. Yay for Bill for taking down the big tree in boyscout camp!
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby jwhitey » June 26th, 2011, 8:40 am

I rode here yesterday evening. The trail is in great shape where I rode it. Parked at Barton rd, crossed the bridge then the rr tracks up and left along Huron River dr. I rode several different variations of the trail until I had about 3 miles in. Back to where I parked and north accross HR dr and headed east under M 14 east. Someone is doing a fine job on this trail, very little water or face slappers. I wish I had more time to ride. Great fun and easy access.
jwhitey

Postby georgemra » June 29th, 2011, 10:19 am

Trail is in pretty good shape. However it is becoming quite jungle like in some places. A machete would sure help with the tall grasses. Where can I get one?
georgemra

Postby deezler » July 1st, 2011, 12:02 pm

Try stadium hardware for equipment, they have good stuff, very helpful and friendly, and LOCAL!

I rode almost all sections other than Olson park itself last night. The trail conditions themselves were fantastic as it hasn't rained appreciably in a long long time now. However the face slappers were abundant. Almost like a constant arm scraping on some spots, my buddy took a good lashing on some thorns. The bike accumulated a hairy fur of greenery after emerging from some spots, especially Barton.

I've ridden a bike through some of these parks before, but to link them all together and find some new ones last night was really fun. Kuebler-Langford and Onder are some really great biking trails! Did not expect to find log piles and other fun obstacles within the city of Ann Arbor. Cedar Bend is kind of nuts though, really gotta be careful on some of those downhills.
deezler

Postby georgemra » July 1st, 2011, 1:58 pm

Deez, let me know if you want a tour. I'm always up for showing people around. -Matt
georgemra

Postby deezler » July 1st, 2011, 3:03 pm

Thanks for the offer! I think I have most of it down now though. Kuebler and Onder were really the only parts I'd never explored before on a bike, or by foot. Of course they are the areas with the best MTB trails, haha. That one cliff drop at Onder on the West side of M-14 is sick. And the Onder to Leslie connector is really awesome too. What is the history of these trails? Felt like MTB specific design.

Had to just guess and go at Cedar Bend though. Ended up on the very west side rocketing down some giant stair steps. Pretty fun, but I'd like to find the bandit downhill trail too. Definitely didn't have the energy to ride back up and try again after already hitting the rest of the loop, haha.
deezler

Postby Hench » July 1st, 2011, 3:13 pm

it is becoming quite jungle like in some places

-Yeah almost rode down the wrong side of the ridge at cedar bend thanks to a sumac branch to the cranium....I think there might be some trail work going on this Saturday as there was a Poto group email that was asking if anyone was able to make it. I'll post the details once I get them.

Whoever put the sign up on the connector between Leslie and Olson, I applaud your attempts and thank you for the laugh. For those who haven't seen or noticed the sign reads something like: "to the car F@$%ers: do you really want to leave your DNA here" and is placed next to a used condom.
Hench

Postby hotspurr » July 2nd, 2011, 2:22 pm

Hey Loop Riders,

Give three cheers for Carl Loomis!

He spent most of Friday night and a lot of Saturday mowing and trimming at Olson Park.

Have a happy Fourth, everyone.
hotspurr

Postby bill_m » July 5th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Serioulsy, next time you see Carl Loomis buy him a beer. That guy is an animal and knocked Olson and Traver Creek back into shape in the record heat.

Thanks Carl! Now, who wants to take care of the crazed red wing black bird that dive bombs you head at Olson. Is it 3 years he's been doing this now? :roll:
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Bcar » July 7th, 2011, 4:07 am

waaa hooo for Carl! the olson wax job rocks!

Bill, there is another large tree down in boy-girlscout park. let me know if you need a hand.
-b
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby ADDam » July 7th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Just a heads up guys, we've been doing our group rides on Thursdays again. Email if you want on the mailing list: ride@treefortbikes.com
Adam G
ADDam

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions