Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby jmf003 » April 20th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Wow, it was in perfect working condition when I rode Thursday evening. Wonder what happened....

oogs wrote:...
- The Olson see saw is broken, it's closer to a jump now. I would avoid it for a bit.
jmf003

Postby oogs » April 21st, 2014, 2:36 pm

The metal bar that the see saw uses as a pivot came undone, as it's actually two pipes screwed in to a connector. Screwing that back in to place will help, but a couple other things need to be done to fix it properly. Luckily nothing expensive.
oogs

Postby Bcar » April 22nd, 2014, 8:43 am

The one in sunset-brooks and KL/girlscout camp just before the rock crossing were both taken care of.

The mud spot in barton is a much larger issue. NAP thinks woodchips fix everything but it is cleary a drainage problem... No fix in sight for that one...
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » April 22nd, 2014, 12:32 pm

Bcar wrote:The mud spot in barton is a much larger issue. NAP thinks woodchips fix everything but it is cleary a drainage problem... No fix in sight for that one...

Apparently the general public agrees on using wood to fix the problem, they just disagree on the size of the wood pieces. There are quite a few branches in there that you can use as slippery balancing beams.
oogs

Postby oogs » April 23rd, 2014, 7:33 pm

jmf003 wrote:Wow, it was in perfect working condition when I rode Thursday evening. Wonder what happened....

oogs wrote:...
- The Olson see saw is broken, it's closer to a jump now. I would avoid it for a bit.

You can stop avoiding it, it looks to be in working condition again!
oogs

Postby jmf003 » April 23rd, 2014, 8:26 pm

oogs wrote:You can stop avoiding it, it looks to be in working condition again!

It was kind of you to fix it!
jmf003

Postby Geff » April 23rd, 2014, 8:33 pm

jmf003 wrote:
oogs wrote:You can stop avoiding it, it looks to be in working condition again!

It was kind of you to fix it!

Right on!
Geff

Postby oogs » May 1st, 2014, 10:18 pm

Things were a little damp before tonight's rain storm. There are a few wet spots that'll stick around, so please avoid them if you are headed out. The wet spot in Barton is still there.
oogs

Postby oogs » May 10th, 2014, 12:27 pm

oogs wrote:Things were a little damp before tonight's rain storm. There are a few wet spots that'll stick around, so please avoid them if you are headed out. The wet spot in Barton is still there.

Things are still damp out there, but ridable. As always, please avoid mud...
oogs

Postby Geff » May 10th, 2014, 5:12 pm

oogs wrote:
oogs wrote:Things were a little damp before tonight's rain storm. There are a few wet spots that'll stick around, so please avoid them if you are headed out. The wet spot in Barton is still there.

Things are still damp out there, but ridable. As always, please avoid mud...

Thanks for all these updates!
Geff

Postby oogs » May 18th, 2014, 12:15 pm

It's still wet and muddy out there, I would wait another day or two before riding.
oogs

Postby jmf003 » May 20th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I rode today. It was a mixed bag.

- Sunset: rideable but a lot of erosion in the trail. Watch out for the deep pot holes.
- Bluffs: tried two different trails in from the north and they were both under water. Turned around and rode out.
- KL: the foot bridge over the stream has been relocated about 10-15 feet to the east. The well drained sections were great. Low laying had a few walkarounds.
- Connector: the same; the well drained sections were great while the low laying had a few walkarounds.
- Olson: the same but it looks like someone deliberately rode through the center of the wet spots leaving very large tire marks.
- Leslie and Black Pond Woods: the same.

More rain in the forecast for tonight....
jmf003

Postby Bcar » May 20th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Couple things.
1. I was contacted by the NAP today, they got a complaint the other day about 5 riders "running" a hiker off the trail in KL/girl scout camp. Please remember to be respectful and yield to hikers/walkers, and remind other riders you see to do the same. This is not the type of press we want, especially in causehead happy DPRA2.

2. I took pics/ vid of the massive erosion issue in sunset/brooksand sent it to the NAP as a textbook example of why wood chips are bad. I'm amazed by the amount of damaged caused by them in a single year.
3. Tree down in Barton park just south of the massive mud pit. That mud pit is going to require some big intervention by the city.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby jmf003 » May 20th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Bcar wrote:...I was contacted by the NAP today, they got a complaint the other day about 5 riders "running" a hiker off the trail in KL/girl scout camp. Please remember to be respectful and yield to hikers/walkers, and remind other riders you see to do the same. This is not the type of press we want, especially in causehead happy DPRA2....

That's a bummer. I always try to slow down and say a few polite words to every hiker I see. On my ride today I was chatting with a hiker, explaining why I was dismounting and walking around a mud spot in Bandemeer. He never heard of such a thing but agreed it made sense when I pointed out the deep tracks left by a previous rider.
jmf003

Postby oogs » May 20th, 2014, 9:58 pm

jmf003 wrote:I rode today. It was a mixed bag.

- Sunset: rideable but a lot of erosion in the trail. Watch out for the deep pot holes.
- Bluffs: tried two different trails in from the north and they were both under water. Turned around and rode out.
- KL: the foot bridge over the stream has been relocated about 10-15 feet to the east. The well drained sections were great. Low laying had a few walkarounds.
- Connector: the same; the well drained sections were great while the low laying had a few walkarounds.
- Olson: the same but it looks like someone deliberately rode through the center of the wet spots leaving very large tire marks.
- Leslie and Black Pond Woods: the same.

More rain in the forecast for tonight....

I have some pictures of a few of these, as I wanted to bring them up as potential fixer-uppers :P

Just a couple additions:
- Connector: The log pile in the connector, near the Barton Drive entrance, is getting worse with multiple wet spots in the immediate vicinity.
- KL: The "big dip" that's on the north-east side of the park is experiencing some erosion at the bottom, where the creek runs through.
oogs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments