Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby ADDam » April 9th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Goin to check out the loop this evening... crossing my fingers that it's ready to go!

EDIT: A2 loop was in pretty decent condition, there were probably 3-4 spots that we had to walk, otherwise pretty dry. I'd say another week or so it should be in great shape. I did see some nice sized pizza cutter marks, looked to be crossbike tracks. There's a tree down by the bus stop.

Adam
Adam G
ADDam

Postby shippenville » April 10th, 2011, 12:48 pm

The loop should probably be given at least a few more days. There is still quite a bit of moisture in the ground, and areas that are normally very dry are still wet. That, and the fact that there are still more than a few areas that people need to 'walk around', are pretty good indicators that the trail should be avoided. Sure, there are dry areas, but there are a lot more wet areas than normal.

I know I would feel guilty riding the trail today, so please give a few more days. Remember that responsible trail use is one of the best ways to help mountain bike advocacy.
shippenville

Postby shippenville » April 13th, 2011, 4:36 pm

I did an abbreviated ride of the loop last night, and most of it is dry except for spots that are normally a little damp even in the summer. With that being said, I would say it is ride-able but please walk through the muddy areas, which are EXTREMELY muddy right now.

Muddy spots include:
-bottom the Baits downhill
-a really bad section in the trails downriver from the Barton Pond Dam
-sections in the area near M-14

The Girl Scout section was great as was the majority of the trail, but the muddy spots are really bad right now, so please try to avoid/walk bad sections. I did not get a chance to ride Olson Park, so I'm not sure of the condition there, yet.
shippenville

Postby chong » April 14th, 2011, 1:01 pm

I live by Olson and if the fields behind it are any indication, it's probably half underwater still. I'm not going to even attempt to ride there until mid-May.
chong

Postby georgemra » April 15th, 2011, 6:13 am

shippenville wrote:I did an abbreviated ride of the loop last night, and most of it is dry except for spots that are normally a little damp even in the summer. With that being said, I would say it is ride-able but please walk through the muddy areas, which are EXTREMELY muddy right now.

Muddy spots include:
-bottom the Baits downhill
-a really bad section in the trails downriver from the Barton Pond Dam
-sections in the area near M-14

The Girl Scout section was great as was the majority of the trail, but the muddy spots are really bad right now, so please try to avoid/walk bad sections. I did not get a chance to ride Olson Park, so I'm not sure of the condition there, yet.

Add the chute in the Bluffs to that list of muddy parts. There is also a large tree down near the top of the ridge in the girl scout section.
georgemra

Postby ADDam » April 30th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Trail is an absolute mess right now... it's going to need several days (of no rain) to dry up. I had to walk too many sections to count. I would avoid for awhile, save yourself the muddy shoes.
Adam G
ADDam

Postby Hench » May 7th, 2011, 12:05 pm

Tried riding Olson about a week ago and spent more time walking then riding... Went out yesterday evening and the trails have really drained quite well, only had to dismount for two sections. As long as we don't get too much rain this evening the next couple of days are looking like prime times to ride. (haven't checked out the other parts of the loop but i would guess Leslie and the bluffs would still be pretty greasy)
Hench

Postby ADDam » May 8th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Rode the local loop (Bluffs, Girl Scout, Barton, Leslie, and Island park) last night, and it was in pretty darn good shape! Barton park is still a mess, but they seem to lay down new wood chips every year to help that out.
Adam G
ADDam

Postby irish » May 9th, 2011, 7:25 am

Hey all

I just started riding last year and rode olson regularly at lunch time since I work nearby, but I've never heard of these other trails you guys are mentioning. I would love to have some variety in my lunchtime rides. Where I can get detailed maps and locations of these trails or even better gpx files? I don't see them in the trailguide.

Thanks.
irish

Postby michael48197 » May 9th, 2011, 8:10 am

ADDam wrote:Rode the local loop (Bluffs, Girl Scout, Barton, Leslie, and Island park) last night, and it was in pretty darn good shape! Barton park is still a mess, but they seem to lay down new wood chips every year to help that out.

irish wrote:Hey all

I just started riding last year and rode olson regularly at lunch time since I work nearby, but I've never heard of these other trails you guys are mentioning. I would love to have some variety in my lunchtime rides. Where I can get detailed maps and locations of these trails or even better gpx files? I don't see them in the trailguide.

Thanks.

Irish,
The "AA Loop" is really a mish-mash of numerous sections in the areas ADDam noted. The Bluffs is off North Main, connects to 'Girl Scout' or Kuebler-Langford under M-14, then to Barton, on to Onder through the M-14 tunnel to Leslie or Black Pond Woods. There's also Cedar Bend which is quite technical. Most of these trails are MMBA and township sanctioned, but there are a number that are not sanctioned. Ask a local for details on which is which. Check out "http://www.a2gov.org/government/communityservices/ParksandRecreation/Pages/ParksMap.aspx" and its links for all the AA town parks...some small and no more than a playground, some larger with actual single track trails. If you'd like to send me a private message with your Email address, I can send you a GPX of the loop I like to ride which is about 12 miles. In all, I think one could ride 16+ miles with about 11 of that on single track if you really know where you are going. It's best to have a local guide you around a few times. Even now after several years of riding in the AA area, I don't know all the little sections.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby Hench » May 9th, 2011, 8:18 am

Michael summed it up beautifully, if your looking for a map there was a link posted on page 12 by pDubs that includes a variation of the local loop, it may not include every spot but its a good starting point to build up your own variation.
Here's the link provided by pDubs: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-st ... 5838199667

Out of topic: Thanks Adam, for giving an update on those other sections was surprised to see them so dry, at least the trails are in good shape now to work on the legs.
Hench

Postby irish » May 9th, 2011, 8:57 am

Thanks guys...definitely try to check them out
irish

Postby ADDam » May 12th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Hey Guys, we do this loop on our group rides that should begin within the next few weeks. We ride on Thursday evenings. I run the mailing list for the ride, email: ride@treefortbikes.com if you're interested in joining. We typically have a very diverse group that comes out, all level of riders welcome... don't be shy.

When: Thursday 6:30pm (Rides called on the mailing list, we may change it up)
Where: Island park, Ann Arbor (Google Knows.)
What: About a 10 mile ride on great A2 Single track!
Level: ...Intermediate. There's some "good" climbs. :D
Adam G
ADDam

Postby Bcar » May 13th, 2011, 11:20 am

rode about half last night, cleared/cut a a few trees, helps with 3 dudes riding!

PLEASE continue to walk the section just north of the huron river bridge, there are some monster ruts, yes its nasty, but there are trees you can walk on, and you're not going to miss riding those 20yrds... :wink: there is another pretty wet section also near barton/huron river, someone was nice enough to put hay/straw down, but its still bad and should be walked.

still that big tree down in the girlscout/keubler area, I'll try to bring a big saw with me one of these days, someone took down the mini ramp/little logs that made it rideable :(

its also really wet at the bottom of the ridge trail that comes out onto maiden lane. not sure what can be done here...

also thanks to whomever repaired the small bridge that is south of M14/bird hills, it was pretty sketch and someone beat me to it.

overall the trail is drying up pretty well and is in good shape but there are still a few spots that should be walked.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby scat silvurz » May 13th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Too bad you don't do yer group ride Wed, AADam - I have band rehearsal on Thursday - grrr!

Here's a good look at Olsen, from google Earth above:

And, here's a good look at some Ann Arbor loop fun stuff, also from Google Earth....You can see the Olsen Park loop at the extreme north end of this picture...I love my gps!

And, for the truly adventurous, here's the east of A2, based out of downtown Dixboro - the much fabled 'Drainpipe Loop'.....oh yeah!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions