Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Bcar » August 19th, 2010, 11:41 am

The A2 DH is in baaaad shape. very rutted out ;(
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Bcar » September 22nd, 2010, 9:21 am

Trail is in pretty good shape. all the recent rain has helped the dryness. I cleared a few downed trees over the weekend so as of Sunday its 100% clear. The A2 DH run (near north campus) is still pretty sketchy...the center rut running down the trail is better, but still cant go nearly as fast as we could in the spring :( I'll try to work on it a bit with a shovel next weekend to smooth it out.
the ridge trail could really really use a bench cut soon, if its wet at all its prob not rideable, i'll put that on my winter-list-to-do :wink:
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby hotspurr » October 3rd, 2010, 8:21 am

Congratulations to the AA Loop trail crew. The trail is in exceptionally good shape. It takes a lot of hard work and many hours to keep a trail in this good condition. Your work is greatly appreciated.
hotspurr

Postby RAINMAN1 » October 4th, 2010, 5:42 pm

rode olson today, what a blast. also rode leslie today too, but somehow i ended in someones back yard. got a little lost in leslie today, but it was very fun. now if i could lose 50 lbs and get that new bike i want!!!!!! thanks for mantaining these trails!!!!
RAINMAN1

DANGER

Postby Bcar » October 8th, 2010, 8:09 am

DANGER!!!
There is a BAT (Big %$# Tree) down just East of Pontiac Tr on the loop. Chest high, somewhat fast section, came pretty close to it on a night ride last night.

My hand-saw would have no chance of cutting it! LOL! If someone has a chainsaw I can help with labor.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby Bcar » November 1st, 2010, 9:57 am

another big tree down in leslie I want to say, west of the golf course-ish.
and a bunch down in bluffs. Will try to bring a hand saw out this week for the smaller ones.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby djansen00 » December 29th, 2010, 11:46 am

Rode a bit with the Wheels in Motion crew last night. Olson isn't very ride-able but some of the connectors are packed down and fine. There's a big tree down on the connector between Pontiac Trail and Leslie...will require a chainsaw.
djansen00

Postby bill_m » December 29th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Is the downed tree on the old trail or the new trail? I just frickin cleared out the entrance to Leslie :x
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 30th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Thurs afternoon, tried to go earlier, but my street was all ice when I got up around 6:30. Didn't leave until around 11:30 and started riding around noon. Kept going until about 2:30 when I started seeing a little bit of slush forming. Plaenty of packed down snow in the woods, fast riding there. Exposed areas of trail was a mix of thin and thick snowdrifts. I found one section on top of the hill untouched, which is what I like riding anyway. Probably did about 2.5 laps or so. Semoe sections I did multiple times. The temp was about 40F when I left. May be enough left to ride tonight and tomorrow morning. Keep in mind I'm using a Fatbike so the top of the hill may not be suitable in some areas (mostly the descending section on the face of the hill) for a regular MTB if it's warm. Do the woods first if you ride, and watch your speed - those deep drifts mixed with thin layers of snow can easily send a speedy rider over the bars or introduce his crotch to the top tube :shock:
Steve_Balogh

Postby marsh283 » January 8th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Took my ss 29er out today, trails were not too bad, sliding around corners here and there, but snow is on the ground, so what else do you expect? Hikers/walkers out too helped mark down the trails
marsh283

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 30th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Coming home from the MMBA event, I stopped at Olson for a couple hours. Most of the trail in the woods was pretty well packed down by hikers/trail runners. I flattened the one hill climb in the open before the trail winds around into the woods. Did the same with the hill climb nearest the freeway, just went up and down the hill a few times until I could clean it. Should be doable with a regular bike. Worst area is on top of that bluff overlooking the pond. The start of the trails on top isn't too bad,but gets worse as you reach the other side by the paved trail. Once you see that, you're pretty much walking. The section switchbacking down the hill facing the pond isn't much better. Was hard to avoid sliding off the trail in some spots.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Bcar » January 31st, 2011, 10:03 am

Rode in Van D., Barton nature area, Leslie, cedar bend etc. on Saturday and everything is pretty well packed down and 99% rideable. Had studs on, but didn?t really need them. Grrreat day for a snow ride!
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby marsh283 » February 15th, 2011, 8:14 pm

Don't waste your time until it all melts or more snow goes over top, frozen foot prints made it a difficult mile before I quite
marsh283

Postby Bcar » March 31st, 2011, 5:28 pm

needless to say...the 'loop isn't ready to ride yet :( went out for a run the other day. people seem to have been good about it as well, only saw one or two pic cutter tracks thus far.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby georgemra » April 2nd, 2011, 9:52 pm

Went and rode part of the loop early this morning. Had to bail because is was still very soft in many areas. People have definitely been on Olson, and it is R-U-T-T-E-D. Stay off if until next weekend. With temps supposedly going into the mid 50's and nights in the upper 30's it might finally dry out enough.
georgemra

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions