Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Bri7609 » May 26th, 2010, 4:59 pm

I usually enjoy this trail, but there seemed to be an excessive amount of overgrowth. I was getting whacked with branches and tall grass pretty much constantly. Also, there were lots of soft spots with ruts through them in the forest area. I ended up driving to Island Lake after seeing the trail.

ps - was attacked by some birds as well on the bluffs, thought it was funny
Bri7609

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 26th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Forgot to mention the overgrowth, but I expected that at this time of the year for a newer trail system. A lot of sections have not widened up. Too bad I didn't use my Fatbike, the couple rutted areas I could have flattened back in shape - I did that earlier this year mostly using my feet, The one spot I actually walked around.

One of those birds actually kept pace behind my head for about 50 feet or so. Perhaps blasting them with a water bottle?
Steve_Balogh

Postby Hench » May 26th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Wow there must be some epidemic going on got dive bombed by a red winged blackbird at Olson the other day, crazy *beep* almost flew into my spokes. now that would have been ugly.
If it rains tomorrow night ill try to go out with a board and some clippers to flatten ruts and trim face slappers, if anyone else is up for a hike just PM me. i think i might try to cover Olson, Leslie park and M14 connector, as i remember seeing some serious ruts in those areas. If there's no rain chances are i won't be able to hold myself back from just riding the trails. :twisted:
Hench

Postby ADDam » May 27th, 2010, 5:42 pm

We should be out there in the next few days getting the A2 Loop cleaned up a little bit, Mainly focusing on the bluffs and the downed trees.
Adam G
ADDam

Postby Sean McDermott » May 30th, 2010, 8:19 pm

I was out there today and the overgrowth was annoying but not so much so that it ruined the ride. I just worry about ticks while riding through all that tall grass. If you see some goofball out there on a 40# Cove freeride bike say "hi" that's me. I really like riding at Olson.
Sean McDermott

Postby Sean McDermott » May 30th, 2010, 8:45 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but are there any trails in the area that have any freeride oriented features like skinnies or maybe a jump/drop or two? If not is that even a possibility? I'd like to start volunteering some time to help maintaining the local trails while helping to make them more interesting for the more aggressive riders out there. Obviously nothing that would interfere with the original trail and it's flow but some unique alternate routes could be fun.
Sean McDermott

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Sean McDermott wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but are there any trails in the area that have any freeride oriented features like skinnies or maybe a jump/drop or two? If not is that even a possibility? I'd like to start volunteering some time to help maintaining the local trails while helping to make them more interesting for the more aggressive riders out there. Obviously nothing that would interfere with the original trail and it's flow but some unique alternate routes could be fun.

Have you been out to Adrian (Heritage Park)? They have a few things there, a little farther than Ann Arbor, but a straight shot out 50 from Monroe will get you there.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Hench » May 30th, 2010, 9:19 pm

On the loop there are a few dirt jumps between Olson and the Leslie Park connector then some more techy sections through leslie but other than the bluffs and the dirt park on the way that's about as freeride oriented I can think of, then again I'm fairly new to these trails so im sure that im missing a lot. If you are thinking about adding features just make sure you ask around as I remember a case where there was a runner at olson that got injured and the stunts had to be taken down a few years back. Would be happy to show you what I have found usually do the loop a few times a week.
Hench

Postby Sean McDermott » May 31st, 2010, 6:33 am

Is there a map of the loop? I'm not familiar with it at all. I'll have to check out Heritage soon. I'm from Toledo so Adrian isn't that far...

I would definitely not build anything without the consent and supervision of the trail managers.
Sean McDermott

Postby hotspurr » May 31st, 2010, 7:52 am

Hi Sean,

We are planning on building a skills area at Rolling Hills Park, located just south of Ypsilanti. Work should commence on it as soon as we finish the new western extension of the Hewen's Creek park trail. If you would like to help, join us on Trail Work Mondays (see forum topic of the same name). We meet at 6 PM most Monday evenings, weather permitting.
We also have the opportunity to build a small skills area at Hewen's Creek, if you are interested.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Postby Hench » May 31st, 2010, 8:10 am

Here's a link By pDubs posted a while back, it incorporates most of the trails in the area http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/mi/ann-arbor/753125565838199667 enjoy :)

Thanks Norm, had no idea that a skills section was planned at RHP if you guys ever need an extra hand early in the day let me know (take evening classes so can never make it to trail days).
-Erick
Hench

Postby kcnado » June 2nd, 2010, 12:15 pm

How is this trail?
I'm going to be in Ann Arbor for training all next week and not sure where to MTB around the area...
-----
"If I can't win, I will make the fellow ahead of me break the record!"
kcnado

Postby scat silvurz » June 2nd, 2010, 12:50 pm

The "Ann Arbor Loop" really isn't a loop. The city has a myriad of public parks, easements, cut-thru's, bootleg hiking paths, hippy hideouts, real mtb trails, etc, that when linked together form the "ann arbor loop"....you'll never be able to figure it out, know where the truly awesome bits are, or even know where to begin, if you don't get shown around. Olsen Park [great little 4-5 mile twisty fun trail] is often included as one of the "stops" on Ann Arbor Loop rides - but not always! It's a true "dial-a-ride".

Local shop, Wheels in Motion, has a weekly ride - Email Kevin, who puts on the shop ride, for more info - that's the best advice.
http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001Sr5a1LSTp6OHuGVCVnTJx5W9WGHUPsQT55U-D9SdFABfG7vrKSdCoWcNPra0e9FTMHB7LCNkw_8AFWoQw9tXMWWzajJzopU_2d8ZSYV3aIOZkg5QyCd_LIAdMDCEU2dJhTaO5CdrAd4%3D
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby twoINtheSky » June 7th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Ive been out of town and I know there was some serious rain out here. Anyone know what the conditions are like at this point and if permissible for riding?
twoINtheSky

Postby djansen00 » June 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm

I haven't been out there today but it normally takes a few days of dry weather for it to drain well. Given all the rain lately I'm guessing it's a mess right now...I'd give it at least another day.
djansen00

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions