Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby pneumatico » April 12th, 2010, 6:57 am

photonikd wrote:I rode this for the first time yesterday - a couple of damp spots in "the woods." A nice trail when time doesn't permit you to drive 15+ minutes.

I am very interested in learning more about this "loop" - are there any group rides organized around this?

Wheels In Motion (and gang) rides the local trails Tuesday evenings from the shop on Washtenaw. All with a helmet are welcome, I do believe.
ridin' along lovin' the feel.
sure am glad she's made out of steel.
pneumatico

Postby scat silvurz » April 12th, 2010, 10:56 am

Major tent/camping hobo site located in the easternmost portion of the Bluff's park...........someone is really making a go at it Survivorman-style!

Saw two hobo's down in the overgrown brush, fighting over "something", along the reservoir by Bandemere park, south of the Art Train location/old BMX jump track location....must be hobo migration season too....

Might want to carry a few Slim Jim's jerky sticks, on yourself or bike, to throw at some crazed starving psycho hippie, when riding in these areas....they'll be distracted long enuff to make your getaway.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Hench » April 12th, 2010, 7:35 pm

photonikd, don't personally have a set loop, I think everyone's interpretation is a bit different, but would be glad to show you some trails that I like to ride if anyone else is interested let me know would be great to have a few opinions and maybe discover some new local trails just send a PM my way.

Hey, Scat
Didn't ride the bluffs last weekend but funny enough i saw a well weathered man at the north east corner of Olson heading that way a few weeks ago, on a side note saw a wild turkey over there as well maybe he was tracking it... better start watching for traps along the trail, and if those psycho hippies get in your way just make sure you carry a boom box with some slayer turned up to eleven.
Hench

Postby Leroi Brown » April 13th, 2010, 7:04 am

Yeah.....quite the homeless haven going on in the Bluffs! Never quite seen it like this before.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby bill_m » April 13th, 2010, 8:07 am

Thanks for the Bluffs info. I reported the Campers in the Bluffs to the City of AA last week and I just sent them another note this morning. The SOP when you encounter campers is to not engage them directly, just let me know or call the City of AA at 734-794-6627.

As for the AA loop, check out this project stemming out of one of our local riders via the U of M: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.30059&lon=-83.74011&zoom=15&layers=000BFTF
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby CM » April 16th, 2010, 8:16 am

Rode Olson yesterday, (first time in several years), and have a couple of questions:

What direction am I supposed to ride the yellow trail? I picked it up off of orange but somehow ended up in the same place. Noticed some MMBA signs for re-routes pointing in the opposite directions, should I follow those signs?

What's with the field of colored flags on the hill above the playground? Actually looks kind of festive, if a bit out of place.
Chocolate is the answer. The question is pretty much irrelevant.
CM

Postby bill_m » April 20th, 2010, 5:37 pm

CM wrote:What direction am I supposed to ride the yellow trail? I picked it up off of orange but somehow ended up in the same place. Noticed some MMBA signs for re-routes pointing in the opposite directions, should I follow those signs?

Take a look at this map: http://mmba.org/library/maps/olsonpark/NEAP.gif If you follow the arrows you will ride everything. FTR, the maps shown at the park has the Plateau trail arrows backwards. I hope they didn't pay a lot for that map. A while back I took a magic marker to them but I'm sure it's worn off by now.

CM wrote:What's with the field of colored flags on the hill above the playground? Actually looks kind of festive, if a bit out of place.

Each of those flags marks a new plant. The goal is to restore the native plant population.

And I need to ask a favor of all Olson riders. We planted 6 new Oak trees along the Pontiac Trail edge of the park just south of the dirt parking area. Please dump your water bottle into the green water bag around the base of each tree. We need to keep them wet for at least through the summer. You can get a refill for your bottle at the bathrooms. No sports drink please! Thanks.

bill_m

Postby Bcar » April 22nd, 2010, 7:56 am

CAUTION: Tree down across the A2 DH run, near the end right before the double but before the ridge trail. I didnt have my saw with me last night :oops: but put an orange flag in the middle of the trial about 20yrds up from the tree and a small branch across the trail (one that can be ridden over) to warn riders.
Other than that the trail in great shape. A few small branches were downed by the last mini storm but I got those out of the way. Still one tent in bluffs, they never bother me, just wish they had a green tarp over it vs. blue one so it wouldnt be as much of an eye sore.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby tstefani » April 27th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Was going to go out there for the first time this morning but I guess there was a roll over right at barton exit, So I guess I'll have to try a different day : (
tstefani

Postby Bcar » April 30th, 2010, 1:15 pm

thanks to whomever cut the tree across the DH run! :)
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Hench » May 9th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Seems like things are still a bit slick, rode around the pond at Olson and still noticed a few soft spots hopefully things will be dried out by tomorrow night. Happy mothers day to all the great moms out there.
Hench

Postby bill_m » May 21st, 2010, 2:31 pm

The Bluffs is in rough shape with multiple trees down. We'll get them cleared as fast as we can.
bill_m

Postby ADDam » May 21st, 2010, 9:15 pm

Hey Bill, am I correct in assuming that someone intentionally cut down those trees in the Bluffs that lay across the trail? The big crisscrossed pile of trees. :evil:
Adam G
ADDam

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 25th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Rode Olson this evening. There's a couple of deep mud spots on the east end, but the rest of the trail is pretty dry. Watch for fiesty blackbirds on the switchback decent facing the pond. I got chased several times going past their nests on the trail. My 29r was quicker :mrgreen:
Steve_Balogh

Postby bill_m » May 26th, 2010, 9:23 am

Oh great, we had a psycho Robin that would dive bomb your head last summer at Olson. He stuck around for a couple of months. It's really kind of funny as he couldn't have weighed more than a couple of ounces, but it was a little disconcerting none the less. It was definitely worse for the hikers though :lol:
bill_m

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions