Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby georgemra » March 12th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Walked sections of the Olsen trail today. The ground is still soft all around, but I left no footprints. Only in the lowest places was the ground "muddy" and even then any footprints were minimal. Seems like we are still a little while out, but with temps in the 50's for a while, it shouldn't be too long before we get to ride :D :D :D!!!
georgemra

Postby twoINtheSky » March 19th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Totally new to the trail. Rode through most of it today and found the eastern side, within, and close proximity to, the wooded areas was pretty muddy. I dismounted or went around in the grass to avoid plowing through and rutting it up, but I would suggest the eastern side be largely avoided especially with the coming rain for a little bit. The western side is pretty much totally dry and probably a great time to ride it because I imagine what is already pretty loose terrain in some areas will get worse with the dryness of the summer.

Look forward to riding this loop on a regular basis this summer :lol:
twoINtheSky

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 21st, 2010, 9:54 pm

After doing a couple laps at Maybury, headed home for lunch and took off for Olson. Olson is almost in the same shape as Maybury. There were around three sections about 3-6 feet long that were best to walk around. I tried to fix one where there was a serious 4"+ deep rut someone carved on the east side just before the steep descent where you make a left facing the parkinglot. Just used my feet to push the mud back into place the best I could, however there were quite a few people riding so I'm not sure my fix will last.
Steve_Balogh

Postby bill_m » March 22nd, 2010, 8:29 am

The trail is open for business until we get our next snowstorm!

Anyone feel like raking some of the brush hog mess off the trail tread in the Northeast corner? I want to know what the machine that did that looked like :shock:
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby ADDam » March 24th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Rode all of the A2 Loop today, every bit of it was perfect ...and FAST!
Adam G
ADDam

Postby Leroi Brown » March 25th, 2010, 9:59 am

A2 Loop was definitely in fantastic shape the other night when I rode it! There were a few spots that were just a little damp (no mud or rutting, though), and may become muddy after todays rain, so giving it an extra day to dry out might be a good idea. Most of the tacky spots were in Olson Park.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 25th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Leroi Brown wrote:A2 Loop was definitely in fantastic shape the other night when I rode it! There were a few spots that were just a little damp (no mud or rutting, though), and may become muddy after todays rain, so giving it an extra day to dry out might be a good idea. Most of the tacky spots were in Olson Park.

Sweet! I take it my fix worked? That was a monster rut on the east setion I fixed.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Leroi Brown » March 26th, 2010, 8:40 am

Steve_Balogh wrote:
Leroi Brown wrote:A2 Loop was definitely in fantastic shape the other night when I rode it! There were a few spots that were just a little damp (no mud or rutting, though), and may become muddy after todays rain, so giving it an extra day to dry out might be a good idea. Most of the tacky spots were in Olson Park.

Sweet! I take it my fix worked? That was a monster rut on the east setion I fixed.

Yep - it was in excellent shape. Thanks for your fix!!
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer

Leroi Brown

Postby bill_m » March 26th, 2010, 10:11 am

John P is heading up to Olson today to rake up the mess left behind when they brush-hogged under the power lines in the NE corner. Thanks John.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Redstone Liger » March 26th, 2010, 11:48 am

As of Wednesday night there were some stretches in the Bluffs that were not ready. Some significant ruts were left by a biker or two.
Scott

?All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.?
Gordie Howe
Redstone Liger

Postby Leroi Brown » March 26th, 2010, 12:06 pm

The soft spots in the Bluffs must have been due to yestarday's rain, as it was in great shape earlier in the week. I would give it another day to dry out then before riding.
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer

Leroi Brown

Postby ADDam » March 27th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Rode again today, Everything was still dry and I did not come across any ruts. I guess it just depends HOW you go through the bluffs.
Adam G
ADDam

Postby twoINtheSky » March 29th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Rode out today just to take a look, and definitely a bit soggy as you might expect. Hopefully nice and dry tomorrow evening since I missed riding all this past weekend.
twoINtheSky

Postby georgemra » March 30th, 2010, 5:14 pm

The trail is in good shape. As expected there are a couple of tacky spots from the rain in Leslie. The camp was in good shape, and the only wet spot I came across was in the chute in the Bluffs (don't ride it). Other than that all was firm and fun to ride (even though I'm out of shape). Enjoy it.
georgemra

Postby photonikd » April 11th, 2010, 12:26 pm

I rode this for the first time yesterday - a couple of damp spots in "the woods." A nice trail when time doesn't permit you to drive 15+ minutes.

I am very interested in learning more about this "loop" - are there any group rides organized around this?
photonikd

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions