Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby mtbfree » November 13th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Got out and rode most of the local trails on the north end of town today (the only part I missed was the ridge trail). They were doing a controlled/prescribed burn on both kubler langford and barton park. I was amazed they didn't close the trails for this. I saw some trucks parked out by the entrance to kubler langford, but no signs saying that the park was closed, so I rode on in as usual. All of a sudden on the left side of the trail, I see burned out underbrush and ashes everywhere. I cruise around the bend and see the fire still burning in the underbrush. I bypassed the cutt-off to get to the prarie of kubler langford since everything was on fire and I didn't want to fall into some hot embers.

As I near the top of the hill, I see a guy with fire-fighter pants and a tank on his back so I stop and ask him if it's ok for me to be there, and he just says "Yeah, we're just burnin' today is all. You might want to stay out of the prarie, but we're not burning into the woods at all."

So I say, "OK, I guess I'll be on my way then." I rode around the outside of K-L and headed over to Barton park, where they were no longer burning, but there was ash and burnt out areas all along sections of the trail. All together, it was a pretty surreal experience, but very cool... other than the fact that to my lungs it felt like I was riding a trainer in a smoke-filled pub.
mtbfree

Postby bill_m » November 21st, 2009, 5:49 pm

Welcome to Ann Arbor. The city sets most of the parks on fire every year, so I guess I have gotten kind of numb to it. It really does an effective job of getting rid of the under brush and invasives. I agree, it is pretty wild to ride through while they're burning.

Olson Park Update

We re-routed the Plateau Trail (aka the Spaghetti Bowl) to make it flow better and take out some of the sharp turns. It is shorter now, but it should flow much better and be more fun to ride. If you agree/disagree, please let us know. We did not re-claim the old trail so we could easily put it back to its original layout.

Give it a ride, see what you think.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby mtbfree » November 23rd, 2009, 10:39 am

Thanks for the welcome, but I've been here for almost six years, haha.

Looking forward to checking out the re-route. I always thought that section needed some help with flow. It always made me feel like my wheelbase was too long (which it is, but that's besides the point, haha).
mtbfree

Postby Wheels In Motion » January 2nd, 2010, 5:25 pm

The weather has been ideal to keep the trails open lately. As of New Years day, Olsen, despite the tree clearing near the power lines, is good to ride, as is Leslie Park into the M-14 connector. The Bluffs has less pack to it but was also good to ride on New Years day.
Wheels In Motion

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 9th, 2010, 9:20 pm

Saturday, Jan 9th.

I had trouble getting into the wooded singletrack, pretty deep fluff. Most of what I was able to ride was the high ground along Pontiac Trail. I may try it again tomorrow, I swapped the Nokian DH 3.0 back to the Endomorph for a rear tire tonight. Afterwards I rode the blue at ILRA.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 10th, 2010, 5:54 pm

Sunday, Jan 10th

Went back today with the Endomorph tire back on the rear. Like stepping out of a Mack truck into a Corvette. Once I got the tire pressure down to where the bike stopped bouncing, I was actually doing laps at Olsen today. I rode the wooded singletrack that I skipped yesterday, and only did the west side a couple times. I didn't count my laps, but I did at least four. There were several hikers and XC skiers on some sections. Should be packed down enough for a normal bike to handle.
Steve_Balogh

Postby HappyHelmet » January 21st, 2010, 8:43 am

The trail from the Bandemer Park-n-ride lot to Olson was in great condition Monday evening. Smooth, hard-packed snow and some ice. Olson was fair: pizza cutter ice and rougher. Still a lot of fun for this time of year. I found Endomorph tracks are very easy to ride in with my skinnier Nokians. :D
Eric
HappyHelmet

Postby Wheels In Motion » January 21st, 2010, 5:39 pm

The top section at olson, I believe it just needs to be absorbed into the rest of the trail. I like the idea of shorter or taking out some of the sharp turns!!! BUT we took out the obsticals and the only reason I endured that section!?!

kevin
http://www.wheelsinmotion.us

Wheels In Motion
3402 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, Mi. 48104
734 971 2121

"Serving Ann Arbor cyclists since 1933!"
Wheels In Motion

Postby HappyHelmet » January 27th, 2010, 11:00 am

Olson was practically impossible w/o studs last night. The group I was with had to bail. Even with them I had to finesse a lot. Had a few slides but no falls.
Eric
HappyHelmet

Postby scat silvurz » January 27th, 2010, 2:31 pm

You dusted em all, Eric!!!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Bcar » February 9th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Ahhhh... Just did a ride on the loop. maybe 6-7 miles, 2-4" on the trail as of 8:30pm and commin down!! Tomorrow will be a good day to ride or esp XC ski. was pretty much all rideable, rear studs helped a bit but doable w/o.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 13th, 2010, 7:33 pm

After doing Commerce I grabbed some lunch and made an attempt at Olson. Pretty nasty in the open areas around the parkinglot, I tried doing a few laps on a small loop to pack it down. I did one short loop in the woods which rode a lot better. I skipped the high open bluff on the west end. I need to switch to flat pedals - the clipless collected snow and froze. Didn't matter if it was caused by walking a few areas - just pedalling picks up snow. The snow at Olsen was far stickier than Commerce, but still has a powdery feel to it. Lots of hiker tracks, but watch for snow drifts in open areas - they hide dips and holes in the trail. Hit one with enough speed and over the bars you go. The way to spot a drift is look at the vegetation on the side of the trail, if the snow is not doing a normal decreasing flow but looks abnormally high - good chance it's a deep drift going across the trail.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 14th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Sunday, 2/15

After Maybury I gave Olson another try. Did much better than yesterday. A lot of my tracks from yesterday were trampled under foot, but I retraced the wooded section much quicker. I rode some of the west section, somewhat riding aimlessly as the trail was a bit hard to follow, but I always found a sign pointing me in the right direction. Temps were around 34 degrees, I could see ground in some of the holes in the snow from ski poles in the open areas, but there's still a lot of snow. Depending on what the hiker traffic does, should be doable by a normal MTB, but a bit slow.
Steve_Balogh

Postby bill_m » February 18th, 2010, 9:22 am

New addition to the Bluffs Park. Check it out:

http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=95633
bill_m

Postby bill_m » March 9th, 2010, 10:14 am

The trail is a muddy mess. Please avoid all of the Ann Arbor trails until we get above-freezing temps at night for a while.
bill_m

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions