Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Geff » September 30th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Bcar wrote:I just had the class at Maybury 2 weeks ago. But I'm guessing we could get 5-10 local guys, if we can find a time that works for everyone... They usually have the training at the MMBA expo every winter.

This would be huge for us in a2, we can log all the volunteer hours with the city, counts for ~$22/hr in terms of donated labor... not to mention good pr, and best of all.. ACCESS TO PROMOTIVE.COM!!!!

If we could get a good turnout for the expo from our Chapter, then I am sure we (State level Board/Expo planning folks) could and would offer up a room and time for another training session during the expo. I know we did it last year, and there were about 25 or so people who participated and went through the initial training session with the Powerpoint and on course simulation of an accident.

This aspect of Mt Biking and trail advocacy is very very beneficial to us in all sorts of ways. Again, let me know whatever folks intentions are, and I can begin to put this together and make it happen. A session here in A2 for us? Or wait until the end of Jan and have the session in Lansing with everyone else?
Geff

Postby Leroi Brown » October 1st, 2013, 7:59 am

Count me in!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby jmf003 » October 1st, 2013, 10:30 am

Geff wrote:...Again, let me know whatever folks intentions are, and I can begin to put this together and make it happen. A session here in A2 for us? Or wait until the end of Jan and have the session in Lansing with everyone else?

I'm up for either.
jmf003

Postby Geff » October 1st, 2013, 11:14 am

We are already starting to work on formulating a date, time, and place. Stay tuned...
Geff

Postby oogs » October 1st, 2013, 3:05 pm

At the risk of derailing a good on-topic conversation, has anyone ridden bluffs/keubler yesterday or today? I'm wondering if it's too wet and muddy to ride today.
oogs

Postby glr » October 4th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Did a few laps out here before work this morning. Trail was in great shape. I forgot how much fun this little trail is.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby jmf003 » October 4th, 2013, 6:08 pm

oogs wrote:At the risk of derailing a good on-topic conversation, has anyone ridden bluffs/keubler yesterday or today? I'm wondering if it's too wet and muddy to ride today.

Rode Kuebler yesterday evening and it was in good shape. Didn't ride Bluffs.
jmf003

Postby Bcar » October 8th, 2013, 10:31 am

trail is in pretty good shape, not too wet. Got out for a quickie last night.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » October 8th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Bcar wrote:trail is in pretty good shape, not too wet. Got out for a quickie last night.

Nice and dry out there. Just make sure you know where the trail is, as the leaves are doing their best to hide it.
oogs

Postby bill_m » October 10th, 2013, 9:45 am

Update on the Kuebler section of the AA trails. The two-track and prairie trails will be under construction tomorrow and Friday (October 10-11). The goal is to improve the drainage along the trails by leveling the grade and bringing in locking limestone fill that won't wash away with the heavy runoff from the highway. Hopefully this will solve the perennial problems with gullying and mucky sections. There will be heavy equipment on site and I am guessing the trails will be fairly impassable. Probably best to avoid that section of the loop for safety. Hope you will all enjoy the improvements once they are finished!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby jmf003 » October 10th, 2013, 10:07 am

bill_m wrote:Update on the Kuebler section of the AA trails. The two-track and prairie trails will be under construction tomorrow and Friday (October 10-11). The goal is to improve the drainage along the trails by leveling the grade and bringing in locking limestone fill that won't wash away with the heavy runoff from the highway. Hopefully this will solve the perennial problems with gullying and mucky sections. There will be heavy equipment on site and I am guessing the trails will be fairly impassable. Probably best to avoid that section of the loop for safety. Hope you will all enjoy the improvements once they are finished!

Thanks for the heads-up.
jmf003

Postby oogs » October 10th, 2013, 11:10 am

Thanks for the notice. It'll be nice to see the prairie portion in better condition.
oogs

Postby bill_m » October 10th, 2013, 9:13 pm

oogs wrote:During the meeting I mentioned I had some ideas on how to fix the see saw in Olsen, and was promptly volunteered to do that. The main complaint was that the board moves around a lot when ridden, resulting in it not being available for some riders (i.e. it's moved too far forwards and the approach side is now off the ground... till someone stops to fix it). Can I just wander out there and do my thing (after I mock it up in my garage, just to make sure), or is there a procedure to follow for doing these fixes?

Nice work! Thank you for taking care of this. It was badly needed.
bill_m

Postby oogs » October 10th, 2013, 10:00 pm

You're welcome! I actually broke one of the pieces of wood while I was anchoring it last night, so I'm running out there to replace that piece tomorrow. I was somewhat amused - I had 8 riders go by, all of different levels, all very excited that the board won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Edit: piece replaced.
oogs

Postby bill_m » October 11th, 2013, 1:28 pm

bill_m

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments