Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby scat silvurz » September 25th, 2013, 10:22 am

Bcar wrote:If NAP decides to ban bikes in Stapp or Leslie, they'll follow suit.

What is 'NAP'?
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby Geff » September 25th, 2013, 10:31 am

scat silvurz wrote:
Bcar wrote:If NAP decides to ban bikes in Stapp or Leslie, they'll follow suit.

What is 'NAP'?

Natural Area Preservation http://www.a2gov.org/government/communi ... ation.aspx
Geff

Postby Bcar » September 25th, 2013, 10:36 am

the overlords of A2 trails... our DNR if you will ;)
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Bcar » September 25th, 2013, 11:33 am

oogs wrote:
Bcar wrote:(stuff)

I'm game.

Unlike Island lake, I have yet to see *beep* riders on the local loop. Then again, I rarely see riders on here - I see runners or people walking their dogs, and make sure to slow down and give them some breathing room.

come to the poto chapter meeting tonight and introduce yourself. Not many I know will blindly give tours of "stuff" ;) myself included, no offense...

Ive seen a few strava types on the loop, but not many. I think we have to go far above and beyond with hikers/walkers on the local loop, just the nature of what we're up against in the DPRA2. It is a PITA, and shouldn't be necessary, but everyone should be saying hello, yielding, using a bell to warn others, etc. need to put our best feet forward if you will.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » September 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Bcar wrote:

come to the poto chapter meeting tonight and introduce yourself. Not many I know will blindly give tours of "stuff" ;) myself included, no offense...

Ive seen a few strava types on the loop, but not many. I think we have to go far above and beyond with hikers/walkers on the local loop, just the nature of what we're up against in the DPRA2. It is a PITA, and shouldn't be necessary, but everyone should be saying hello, yielding, using a bell to warn others, etc. need to put our best feet forward if you will.

Hah, fair enough. When/where is it? I don't see any info about it here - http://www.potomba.org/ .
oogs

Postby Bcar » September 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Ann arbor brew co, tonight, 730pm.
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » September 27th, 2013, 10:36 am

During the meeting I mentioned I had some ideas on how to fix the see saw in Olsen, and was promptly volunteered to do that. The main complaint was that the board moves around a lot when ridden, resulting in it not being available for some riders (i.e. it's moved too far forwards and the approach side is now off the ground... till someone stops to fix it). Can I just wander out there and do my thing (after I mock it up in my garage, just to make sure), or is there a procedure to follow for doing these fixes?

Edit: grammar.
Last edited by oogs on September 27th, 2013, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
oogs

Postby Geff » September 27th, 2013, 11:09 am

Good question. And nice meeting you too! Welcome! I'll leave the answer to someone more in the know about that sort of thing.
Geff

Postby jmf003 » September 30th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Bcar wrote:...-Local Mtn bike patrollers. IMBA has a national bike patrol, we need a few local....

In looking at the NMBP process (from http://www.imba.com/membership/nmbp)

1. Current certification in basic first aid and CPR.
2. Successful completion of any of the following courses:
+ A mountain bike patrol training course (taught by a local NMBP-affiliated group).
+ A volunteer host training program (taught by local land manager).
+ A ski area specific mountain bike patroller training (taught by a local ski area management or ski patrol).
3. A passing grade on the NMBP Patroller online certification exam. A study guide for the exam can be found here.
4. Send in an application form with membership payment.

1, 3, and 4 seem to be straight-forward but how would a person satisfy requirement 2?
jmf003

Postby oogs » September 30th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Geff wrote:Good question. And nice meeting you too! Welcome! I'll leave the answer to someone more in the know about that sort of thing.

Thanks, I got an answer that I can work with. Now I just need free time :P

jmf003 wrote:
Bcar wrote:...-Local Mtn bike patrollers. IMBA has a national bike patrol, we need a few local....

In looking at the NMBP process (from http://www.imba.com/membership/nmbp)

1. Current certification in basic first aid and CPR.
2. Successful completion of any of the following courses:
+ A mountain bike patrol training course (taught by a local NMBP-affiliated group).
+ A volunteer host training program (taught by local land manager).
+ A ski area specific mountain bike patroller training (taught by a local ski area management or ski patrol).
3. A passing grade on the NMBP Patroller online certification exam. A study guide for the exam can be found here.
4. Send in an application form with membership payment.

1, 3, and 4 seem to be straight-forward but how would a person satisfy requirement 2?

According to the IMBA website ( http://www.imba.com/near-you/nmbp-groups ), there are two NMBP groups nearby -

Clinton River Area Mountain Bike Association Bike Patrol Shelby Township, Michigan http://www.cramba.org
MICHIGAN MOUNTAIN BIKE PATROL - MMBP Canton, Michigan

Maybe they can help?
oogs

Postby Geff » September 30th, 2013, 2:54 pm

We can also ask Shawn Murphy, lead patroller for the State, to come in and make a training session for us here in A2, but only IF we have enough who are interested in spending a Sunday long morn and early afternoon for the presentation of training, etc. Let me know and I will contact him to see what can be done.
Geff

Postby jmf003 » September 30th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Geff wrote:We can also ask Shawn Murphy, lead patroller for the State, to come in and make a training session for us here in A2, but only IF we have enough who are interested in spending a Sunday long morn and early afternoon for the presentation of training, etc. Let me know and I will contact him to see what can be done.

I'd be up for that.
jmf003

Postby Geff » September 30th, 2013, 3:47 pm

jmf003 wrote:
Geff wrote:We can also ask Shawn Murphy, lead patroller for the State, to come in and make a training session for us here in A2, but only IF we have enough who are interested in spending a Sunday long morn and early afternoon for the presentation of training, etc. Let me know and I will contact him to see what can be done.

I'd be up for that.

That's 1.
Geff

Postby Bcar » September 30th, 2013, 4:39 pm

I just had the class at Maybury 2 weeks ago. But I'm guessing we could get 5-10 local guys, if we can find a time that works for everyone... They usually have the training at the MMBA expo every winter.

This would be huge for us in a2, we can log all the volunteer hours with the city, counts for ~$22/hr in terms of donated labor... not to mention good pr, and best of all.. ACCESS TO PROMOTIVE.COM!!!!
A2 Local Loop TC
Bcar

Postby oogs » September 30th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Sure,why not. I've done a CPR class before. As far as scheduling goes, more lead time is better, and football Saturdays are bad (unless it's not during the game).
oogs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments