Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby bill_m » June 17th, 2009, 2:14 pm

8)

We've been busy. It took a while to get through the approval process. But once we got the green light they were done right away.

We really appreciate the offer to help! Right now the #1 issue is trimming back face-slapper branches. Anyone who is willing to carry a set of hand snips or small folding saw with them while they ride can knock out a few branches and it will quickly add up.

You can click here for a little guide to trimming and general good things to know.

And you should join the Poto Chapter e-mail list. Work Day announcements will always get sent out to the list.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby bill_m » June 17th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Oh yeah, and although they've been at Rolling Hills in Ypsi lately Trialwork Tuesday's will come back to Ann Arbor sometime soon. Watch the Poto section of the Forum:

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=48
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby Bcar » June 20th, 2009, 11:01 am

bill_m wrote:8)

We've been busy. It took a while to get through the approval process. But once we got the green light they were done right away.

We really appreciate the offer to help! Right now the #1 issue is trimming back face-slapper branches. Anyone who is willing to carry a set of hand snips or small folding saw with them while they ride can knock out a few branches and it will quickly add up.

You can click here for a little guide to trimming and general good things to know.

And you should join the Poto Chapter e-mail list. Work Day announcements will always get sent out to the list.

schweet, the work thats been done has been great and way more extensive than we'd hoped for! was out again last week, got a little poison ivy from moving some downed trees... ;( *beep*... unless on a big group ride im always trying to grab face slappers and yank em down. some parts of the ridge could use a bench cut pretty soon, those two off camber gullys are getting almost scary to ride! even though I like it that way!
Bcar

Postby ADDam » June 21st, 2009, 10:06 pm

Everything was pretty muddy today. Should be good by Tuesday.
ADDam

Postby pogonj » June 21st, 2009, 10:28 pm

The Ann Arbor Loop is getting pretty over grown. For the past few weeks I have been making an effort to try and get things trimmed back but I need help. If anyone wants to do some trimming feel free to work in Bluffs, the M-14 underpass area, or Cedar Bend as these are the areas that need the most work. If you don't have any tools but want to do some work or you want someone to work with drop me a PM and I would be willing to meet up with anyone that wants to.
pogonj

Postby dvialar » June 24th, 2009, 8:46 am

Thanks pogonj for the efforts to clean-up some of the trail! I've been riding at Olson Park a couple times in the past week with some other guys and have noticed the trails are pretty overgrown, especially the Plateau trail (southwest inner-loop). We're willing to bring some weed-whips over the weekend and trim the tall grass to make the trail visible, but do we need to let anyone know what we're doing? We're think Saturday morning if anyone is interested.
dvialar

Postby hotspurr » July 7th, 2009, 7:02 am

Join us for TrailWork Tuesday, tonight (July 7th), at Olson Park. We'll meet at 6 PM at the trailhead in the parking lot. We plan to mow, whack and trim the trails back into prime mid-season form.
hotspurr

Postby pDubs » October 16th, 2009, 1:37 am

I wanted to bump this thread because, well, without it I'd probably have very little idea of how much slightly-hidden singletrack there is in ann arbor.

I've ridden bandemer/bluffs, and olson, separately, before hearing about the local loop thing.
It incorporates bluffs, kuebler langford, barton, the "secret" M14 singletrack, leslie, black pond woods, and olson into a ride that starts and ends wherever you can park that's nearby the barton m14 exit.
I took a little from 3-4 different gps routes/trail maps/etc. and hand-drawn maps to finally discover each part correctly, but the map itself is hand-routed so it's off a little.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-st ... 5838199667
Probably about a 15 mile ride total? Let me know what you guys think of it.

My friend and I went through cedar bend today, via island park, got into it with some nasty dog *beep* and had to turn back, hills were REALLY hilly though, some parts unbikeable.
pDubs

Postby Bcar » October 20th, 2009, 2:12 pm

You?re missing one of the best parts!

Around your mile 5, you cross Plymouth rd headed southwest, make the first left, then pretty much a U-turn headed north east and up a big hill.
Head right/southwest on Broadway, first left on Cedar bend dr, and then make a right at the stairs going down the grass hill, sharp left right after the singletrack starts. Then pretty much head east, make a left on the dirt road, that then bends around to the right, more single track that spits you out near the north campus dorms, then the best section of local loop starts, the a2 DH/ridge trail. This will dump ya out on/near maiden lane, then more bike path along the river and back to main st.

But?if you ask 10 different riders how they ride the local loop, you?ll get 10 different answers
Bcar

Postby Bcar » October 20th, 2009, 2:14 pm

p.s. someone did a great job recently moving some of the latest logs across the trail. I forgot my saw last week :(
and the ridge trail is getting extra special nutty these days, may be time for a bench cut next year as much as I hate to say it... some small trees are leaning into the trail now that forces you to the left.
Bcar

Postby mtbfree » November 3rd, 2009, 4:07 pm

I was out exploring the Bluffs park trails, and I was wondering if there is an intended direction to the trails out there. If you come in at the Elks parking lot, which direction are you supposed to turn on the trail? Any directions about the trail system there would be helpful. There were so many intersecting trails, I had no idea which way I was supposed to go. Thanks.
mtbfree

Postby scat silvurz » November 3rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

I've ridden it in a mostly clockwise, or counter clockwise rotation, but always seem to end up doing a figure eight there! It takes a bunch of rides thru the bluffs trails to get a feel for the "layers of the mobius strip onion" design of the trail network......but I do seem to like clockwise, fwiw.
scat silvurz

Postby Bcar » November 4th, 2009, 7:51 am

rode 'er last night, tree down in the section across from bird hills park between huron river drive. Didnt have my saw with me :(
Bcar

Postby mtbfree » November 4th, 2009, 10:56 am

Bcar wrote:rode 'er last night, tree down in the section across from bird hills park between huron river drive. Didnt have my saw with me :(

Yeah, the heavy winds on Halowe'en not only covered most of the local trails with leaves, but also knocked down a fair amount of branches etc...
mtbfree

Postby pDubs » November 6th, 2009, 2:56 am

"The trail is set up as Beginner/intermediate, it used to be a lot harder for most but now with it's popularity it has been dumbed down. Corners and obsticals have been cut off or removed, rock gardens have vanished and the trail like ALL others gets easier the more everyone rides it. Highland used to be very difficult and now it's still great but all is rideable."

that's sad to hear, having just found out about the local loop/olson this season. is that for legal reasons? has anyone else recently felt the urge to build some obstacles along the trails? there are some nice existing parts, but there could be more, especially in olson itself. and ive read about the mmba's new insurance, effectively not allowing them to insure trails with north-shore type obstacles. still room for fun stuff though.

in other news, im riding the loop tomorrow if anyone is interested. pm me or respond to this thread.
pDubs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions