Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Northeast Park

Postby ADDam » March 24th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Rode Olson today! Had a blast, trail is in GREAT condition except for the part you mentioned after the diving board.
ADDam

Postby ADDam » March 26th, 2009, 10:28 am

Hey Bill, did you get a chance to check out the Leslie Park trail?
ADDam

Postby bill_m » March 26th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Yeah, pretty much all of the Ann Arbor trails are in good shape. This is an incredibly early thaw!
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby ADDam » March 26th, 2009, 8:58 pm

Now when you say all ... does this mean I can go to Poto? Even after the rain we got yesterday?
ADDam

Postby bill_m » March 26th, 2009, 9:12 pm

At the Chapter Meeting on 2/25/09 we briefly discussed the topic of the rezoning of the parcel of land off Whitmore Lake Road at the M-14 off ramp. FYI for anyone that would like to attend the meeting:

bill_m

Postby scat silvurz » March 26th, 2009, 11:29 pm

A little more info on why this should concern mtb'ers?

But I did find out that the President of SBA Communications Corporation, Jeffrey A. Stoops CEO/President/Director, who wants to put a cell phone tower where the trail is, makes $1,914,895.00.....why would we want to prevent him from keepin' the locomotive rollin?

http://people.forbes.com/profile/jeffrey-a-stoops/70229
scat silvurz

Postby bill_m » April 1st, 2009, 7:47 am

This from Poto Chapter member Jim Lee:

All,

I stopped by AA Township to review the application. In a nutshell:

1. Michigan Dept of Transportation (MDOT)/State of Michigan owns the land and it is currently zoned residential (R-2). SBC has a contract with State to manage property for telecommunications purposes.

2. A request from AAT (not AT&T or SBC) to place a cellular tower on the land requires re-zoning. They have requested it be re-zoned to recreational (R-C). The plan to place a tower within a 100x100' fenced compound about 100' east of Whitmore Lake Road and 50' north of the exit ramp. Federal Aviation Agency and MDOT have already approved.

From my read, this re-zoning may prevent future housing development as R-C designation they seek is intended to only allow preservation and enhancement for woodlands, wetlands and wildlife habitat (vs. homes on 1/2 acre lots). It also allows for the cellular tower. Maybe not a bad tradeoff. Off the record, township staff felt there was unlikely to be much opposition.

I plan to attend the 6 April meeting and will ask either on or off record how this might promote or inhibit natural uses without raising the potential inflammatory "mountain biking" topic.
bill_m

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby a2trails » April 12th, 2009, 10:03 pm

I rode today, and a lot of the trails are dry enough to ride, except for a few spots. Leslie has a few really muddy spots. Some bikers are riding through and around the mud, which is making the trail a lot wider in these areas. Olson still seemed a little too damp to ride, so I skipped it. Most of Barton Park is OK, but there are some really muddy spots to avoid.

Does anyone know what's going on with these picnic tables at Olson? Looks like someone was having some fun.
a2trails

Postby bill_m » April 13th, 2009, 9:04 am

Ok, that is funny.

Has anyone been to the Bluffs recently? Are the trees still down or have they been cleared? I cleared a couple of trees at Olson on Saturday but have not had time to do anything else.

And just to bring closure to the Re-zoning issue mentioned above, I don't think it is anything we need to worry about. My take is that the odds are low that a tower will ever be approved and regardless either zoning classification should not effect the current use of that land.
bill_m

Postby ADDam » April 13th, 2009, 10:47 am

Haha, I saw that ^^^ yesterday! I bet someone used them to get on the roof of the pavilion (Or skate down it?)

I rode the Bluffs yesterday. Yes, there is still some downed trees back there, but the trail is in excellent condition otherwise.
ADDam

Postby Ed » April 20th, 2009, 1:09 pm

OK, the Bluffs are much clearer now of downed trees! I gave my bow saw a good workout on Saturday. Other than a couple large trees (one being the tree down in the valley that can be ridden under) I cut most/all the downed trees out. But there are A LOT of dead ash trees still standing...it is going to be a big project keeping the Bluffs, and any other trails affected by the emerald ash borer, clear over the next few years.
Ed

Postby ADDam » April 21st, 2009, 12:30 am

Hmmm, I rode the bluffs Sunday and saw a few downed trees. There's one after the REALLY steep downhill (more like drop), dont really know how to describe it any better. You can get off your bike and walk under it, but no way to ride under it. I feel like there's more, but I cant recall where. But thanks for the maintenance you did do!
ADDam

Postby Bcar » April 30th, 2009, 11:50 am

Rode the loop last night and its in good shape. Started in Bluffs, the usual wet spots are wet, but one can do a path that avoids those sections. one hike-a-bike across the bridge from huron river drive, I ended a pontiac trail (*beep* dinner plans...) other than that its in good shape, no trees down, just some small deadfall, I cleared some of it.
Bcar

Postby ADDam » April 30th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Me and a buddy broke up that tree last night in the bluffs. It's after that drop that is maybe... a minute into the bluffs. Now the flow can continue!
ADDam

Postby Bcar » June 17th, 2009, 1:35 pm

who's been doing all the reroutes on the local loop? Grrreat job to whoever! we ride it all the time and if you never need a hand make a post about it. several of us that ride it on a reg basis would try to help if schs work out. I always bring a saw with me, but I busted it on some large downed trees last week in bluffs ;(
Bcar

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions