Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

Postby Geff » September 20th, 2013, 5:04 pm

sisu wrote:South of Woodridge Rd. Nice mature trees in there. I'm hoping Hunter chains himself to one in protest, and it becomes a city park with natural surface trails instead.

Yes there are! And there also are some trails that wind in and out through that nice stand of mature hardwoods and other trees that I have biked and run over the years. We can only hope that NSF has foresight to preserve it.
Geff

Postby 300hp » September 22nd, 2013, 7:55 pm

hahaha right. That chunk of land shares many of the unique geological attributes that Cherry Hill park does. I really don't understand why more people don't ride and hike that park. SO FUN.

The piece of land in question is, in my opinion, one of the least utilized, yet most suited to natural park use in the Ann Arbor area. The grazed old growth would be quite nice to walk through, and if trails were legally allowed through that parcel, the mellow grade and spine-ridge topography could certainly make for sustainable, entertaining riding.

I guess we'll just have to see. The problem, from a mountain bike perspective, with bringing a natural space conservation group into it is the chance of losing the prospective ability to ride on that land. Long time Ann Arbor riders already know the extent some militant conservationists go to in order to make bike travel less appealing on local loop trails.

Quite a pity, really. With just a modicum of support, the NE quadrant of Ann Arbor could have one of the midwest's best urban trail networks. Some former refuse dump-site land, which is already shot from a keep-it-unmolested naturalist perspective, would be ideal for a "flow trail" with its long, even grade, light vegetation, and clay topsoil. Abutting neighborhoods have built sidewalk access that terminates to the parcel, and homeowners have blazed various trails across the land. Oh well. It'll stay fallow in the U's hands.

I've heard campfire tales of trails in that quadrant, but I suspect they're just ghost stories :)
300hp

Postby oogs » September 23rd, 2013, 1:34 pm

"I guess we'll just have to see. The problem, from a mountain bike perspective, with bringing a natural space conservation group into it is the chance of losing the prospective ability to ride on that land. Long time Ann Arbor riders already know the extent some militant conservationists go to in order to make bike travel less appealing on local loop trails."

Oh? Is this why we're not allowed to ride in Bird Hills?
oogs

Postby 300hp » September 23rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

While I can't answer the above question because I don't know, I'll wager a reasonable guess that mountain bikers are not, on their own free will, staying off the best elevation and and some of the best trail abutting the local loop.
300hp

Postby bpeacevw » September 23rd, 2013, 3:30 pm

New to the forum and new to Ann Arbor. Your posts have been invaluable in figuring out this trail system. I'm thrilled to be a bike-able distance to such great singletrack. Thank you.

On Saturday's damp morning I trimmed back Traver Creek back with a pair of sheers and took out a few of the sagging overhead areas. It's a fun section that seems important to the loop (at least as I've been riding it). In great shape with a few damp sections. Seems like some palettes could be a long term solution for those areas that seem habitually sticky.

Also, on an exploratory ride I ended up dumping into Leslie Science Center and passed the garden there. Felt a little like I should have gone a different route. Is that mellow or is there another way to get from Black Pond south to Barton?
bpeacevw

Postby Leroi Brown » September 23rd, 2013, 3:48 pm

bpeacevw wrote:New to the forum and new to Ann Arbor. Your posts have been invaluable in figuring out this trail system. I'm thrilled to be a bike-able distance to such great singletrack. Thank you.

On Saturday's damp morning I trimmed back Traver Creek back with a pair of sheers and took out a few of the sagging overhead areas. It's a fun section that seems important to the loop (at least as I've been riding it). In great shape with a few damp sections. Seems like some palettes could be a long term solution for those areas that seem habitually sticky.

Also, on an exploratory ride I ended up dumping into Leslie Science Center and passed the garden there. Felt a little like I should have gone a different route. Is that mellow or is there another way to get from Black Pond south to Barton?

Welcome to the forum, and the A2 Local Loop trails! Totally cool to ride the trails behind the Science Center. Feel free to ride with us some time, too, if you want to explore more of the trails.

And thanks for your trail trimming!! :-)
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby Geff » September 23rd, 2013, 5:16 pm

bpeacevw wrote:New to the forum and new to Ann Arbor. Your posts have been invaluable in figuring out this trail system. I'm thrilled to be a bike-able distance to such great singletrack. Thank you.

Right on! Welcome! Come and meet us all at the local chapter meeting this Wed night at 7:30 at Arbor Brewing Company. Many can/will fill you in more about the local loop and help get you acquainted with us all. Thanks for your trail stewardship!
Geff

Postby Bcar » September 24th, 2013, 10:42 am

My meeting with First Martin went well yesterday. They are 100% ok with having a public access trail on the western border of their traverwood development connecting Stapp and Leslie, BUT... If NAP decides to ban bikes in Stapp or Leslie, they'll follow suit. And if they end up getting complaints about user conflicts with bikes they'll either make us walk them or kick us off of their trail. I told him we'll help build/maintain the trail and also look into getting signs up on both ends of the property (when it is completed).

Recently Ive been having more and more conversations with key players, both on and off the record.
Our biggest battle is with public perception and acceptance. It only takes one a hole rider running someone off the trail to either make it 10000x harder for us to build/gain access or worse, get kicked out of a park.

Ive decided that Im going to hold off pushing for more trail (other than the K/L reroute) until we work on our relationships with other users and the NAP. They're not going to ok anything until the public perception of bikes gets better.
-Bells on bikes. All of our trails are multiuser and multi direction. Bells HELP A TON.
-Sight lines. Going to put major effort into more trail days and focus not only on making the trail cooridor more open, but improving sight lines so runners can see us sooner and we can see them.
-Volunteer hours. We need to do a way better job (myself included!) in officially logging our time we spend on the trail. I have no doubt that mtn bikers put the most time into maintaining trails. We're going to start a segment adopter program with the NAP and it is my wish that mtn bikers take the lead on all sections of the loop.
-Improving the current trails for drainage and sustainability. We didn’t build these trails, nor do bikes cause more damage than other users. Most of the damage is caused by poor trail design and water/erosion. Putting in nicks etc. in will help 95% of these.
-Signs. Some type of sign about who yields to who, respect other users, use a bell etc.
-Stop all bandit trail building. Spread the word to the trail gnomes. That is our 2nd biggest hurdle with NAP to overcome.
-Local Mtn bike patrollers. IMBA has a national bike patrol, we need a few local.
-Friendliness. Turn off strava, take out the ear buds, and say hello to all other users, that small stuff goes a looong way, just as a cold shoulder goes a looong way in the other direction...

Thoughts?
Last edited by Bcar on September 24th, 2013, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby Leroi Brown » September 24th, 2013, 10:46 am

Right on, brutha!! :-) Thanks for all you do, B!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby jajones » September 24th, 2013, 10:50 am

Nice job, B.!
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Geff » September 24th, 2013, 11:16 am

Great write up! I am a Nat'l Mt Bike Patroller, so I can be available for that. Just have to re up my First Aid/CPR cert this year.
Geff

Postby jajones » September 24th, 2013, 11:28 am

Bcar wrote:My meeting with First Martin went well yesterday. They are 100% ok with having a public access trail on the western border of their traverwood development connecting Stapp and Leslie, BUT... If NAP decides to ban bikes in Stapp or Leslie, they'll follow suit. And if they end up getting complaints about user conflicts with bikes they'll either make us walk them or kick us off of their trail. I told him we'll help build/maintain the trail and also look into getting signs up on both ends of the property (when it is completed).

Recently Ive been having more and more conversations with key players, both on and off the record.
Our biggest battle is with public perception and acceptance. It only takes one a hole rider running someone off the trail to either make it 10000x harder for us to build/gain access or worse, get kicked out of a park.

Ive decided that Im going to hold off pushing for more trail (other than the K/L reroute) until we work on our relationships with other users and the NAP. They're not going to ok anything until the public perception of bikes gets better.
-Bells on bikes. All of our trails are multiuser and multi direction. Bells HELP A TON.
-Sight lines. Going to put major effort into more trail days and focus not only on making the trail cooridor more open, but improving sight lines so runners can see us sooner and we can see them.
-Volunteer hours. We need to do a way better job (myself included!) in officially logging our time we spend on the trail. I have no doubt that mtn bikers put the most time into maintaining trails. We're going to start a segment adopter program with the NAP and it is my wish that mtn bikers take the lead on all sections of the loop.
-Improving the current trails for drainage and sustainability. We didn’t build these trails, nor do bikes cause more damage than other users. Most of the damage is caused by poor trail design and water/erosion. Putting in nicks etc. in will help 95% of these.
-Signs. Some type of sign about who yields to who, respect other users, use a bell etc.
-Stop all bandit trail building. Spread the word to the trail gnomes. That is our 2nd biggest hurdle with NAP to overcome.
-Local Mtn bike patrollers. IMBA has a national bike patrol, we need a few local.
-Friendliness. Turn off strava, take out the ear buds, and say hello to all other users, that small stuff goes a looong way, just as a cold shoulder goes a looong way in the other direction...

Thoughts?

Yeah, stopping the bandit trail building in A2 is tough. We all know the usual suspects. They are "too cool for school" and probably would just intensify their illegal stuff if someone says something to them. Maybe a Blanket Party? (Just kidding, of course.)

Strava has *beep* a lot of the weak-of-mind, strong of body types out there. They are too consumed with marking their territory to realize that they are risking it at the same time. Maybe a Blanket Party? (Just kidding, of course.)
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby Geff » September 24th, 2013, 11:35 am

Another thought. Maybe get some of our students here to use their graphic arts skills and class to make up signage for us. That would most definitely be very cost effective and I know the teacher of that class is pretty receptive to new projects. We can chat more on this at tomorrow's meeting if you want.
Geff

Postby Bcar » September 24th, 2013, 11:58 am

jajones wrote:Yeah, stopping the bandit trail building in A2 is tough. We all know the usual suspects. They are "too cool for school" and probably would just intensify their illegal stuff if someone says something to them. Maybe a Blanket Party? (Just kidding, of course.)

Strava has *beep* a lot of the weak-of-mind, strong of body types out there. They are too consumed with marking their territory to realize that they are risking it at the same time. Maybe a Blanket Party? (Just kidding, of course.)

Im pretty sure Ive got #1 taken care of... :wink: I liked what IMBA had to say, give them an outlet. thats why Id like to present to the DNR having a gravity trail segment/area in the old gravel pit at WL. They've got the numbers and tallent, that is for sure. I found some stuff Ive never seen on local loop yesterday that was full on nutty huge air...

Ive got some spare bars of soap...!!!
A2 Local Loop TC
The Steeper the better...
If they call it Tourist Season, why can't we shoot them??
Bcar

Postby oogs » September 24th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Bcar wrote:(stuff)

I'm game.

Unlike Island lake, I have yet to see *beep* riders on the local loop. Then again, I rarely see riders on here - I see runners or people walking their dogs, and make sure to slow down and give them some breathing room.
oogs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments