Poto: Olson Park/Ann Arbor Loop

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby mikepro » June 6th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Rode in Olson park last night on some demo bikes from wheels in motion. Had a good time, but there are definitely lots of face slappers on the green/orange trail. I may try and get up there soon with some loppers, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone goes.
mikepro

rode olsen park a couple of days ago...

Postby victors » June 11th, 2008, 12:38 pm

It was overgrown in a lot of spots. The wooded area had a lot of face slappers. Some other parts weren't too bad. I also rode through Leslie Park Trail and under M-14 for a while.
victors

Postby ADDam » July 10th, 2008, 11:47 am

Chainsaw Required at Olson!!! Theres a pretty decent size tree Down in the middle of the first woods section. I almost smashed right into it. It right at the convenient height that you have to dismount and crawl next to your bike to get thru it.
Adam G
ADDam

Postby bill_m » July 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm

I rode the AA trails for the first time in about a week last night. There is the tree down at Olson and on the Ladder Trail right next to the ladder. I will clear those with my chainsaw, but Olson really needs to be mowed. I have two mowers and my house and can try to arrange for the big mower to be dropped off at the park as well. Is anyone able to do some work this weekend? I can leave a mower at the park for you or meet you up there.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby bill_m » July 14th, 2008, 5:47 pm

Thank you to everyone who came out this weekend to help! The park is mowed and ready to ride. Go enjoy your hard work!
bill_m

Trial OK

Postby lsandoval » September 1st, 2008, 7:39 am

This Trial should be setup as Beginner,not as int
:?
lsandoval

Trail in Good Shape at Olson Park

Postby gstratt » September 16th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Rode Olson Park tonight, looks like it's in good shape after the rains over the past week. Some areas were still a little slick, but no bogs...
gstratt

Re: Poto: Northeast Park

Postby Wheels In Motion » January 21st, 2009, 1:57 pm

The trail is set up as Beginner/intermediate, it used to be a lot harder for most but now with it's popularity it has been dumbed down. Corners and obsticals have been cut off or removed, rock gardens have vanished and the trail like ALL others gets easier the more everyone rides it. Highland used to be very difficult and now it's still great but all is rideable.

Kevin L
Wheels In Motion

Postby bill_m » March 23rd, 2009, 7:52 am

3/23/09. I did some trailwork on Sunday that involved cutting out felled trees on the M-14 Underpass section of the Ann Arbor trails. The trails were in good enough shape that it inspired me to do some more reconnaissance. Here is our current status as I saw it:

Generally, the Ann Arbor trails are dry enough to ride. However, that is said with the caveat that there are occasional spots where you will need to get off your bike and walk. Please walk through the middle of any mud spots as to avoid widening the trail. Trails that are mostly dry are Bluffs, Olson, M-14 Underpass, Kuebler-Langford, and the Ladder trail.

Trails that are still pretty wet are Barton Dam and Traver Creek. We'll keep you posted on the status, but in the meantime the rule is look behind you. If you are leaving a rut the trail is too soft. Also, the white SUV was patrolling the railroad tracks along the river on Sunday. If you get caught crossing the tracks it is a ~$200 ticket, so beware. There are a couple of trees down in the Bluffs, we will try to get to them shortly.

If we get rain it will likely cause the trails to be unrideable for a couple of days. The soil's ability to shed water is not very good right now as it is still very cold. Once the temperatures stay above freezing at night we should be fully into trail riding season.

Thanks.
bill_m

Postby ADDam » March 23rd, 2009, 10:32 am

Thanks for the update! I'm going to try and ride Olson this weekend! Have you actually been out there recently?
ADDam

Postby bill_m » March 23rd, 2009, 11:03 am

Yes, I was out there on Sunday. The one spot that is really bad is right after the diving board. That is a must walk section but the rest of the trail is pretty darn good. This is a really early thaw, so we need to be prepared for another snow storm that will close the trails, but until then enjoy! :roll:
bill_m

Postby sheldonegg » March 23rd, 2009, 2:21 pm

What's the story with fines if you're caught on the tracks? I wasn't aware of that. You can be fined if you're running or biking across or along the train tracks? Who administers the fines?

Thanks.
sheldonegg

Postby bill_m » March 23rd, 2009, 3:12 pm

Yeah, it's not good. Technically, if you cross rail road tracks anywhere other than a designated crossing you are trespassing on rail road private property. I discussed the issue at length with the Norfolk Southern Enforcement Officer ( his business card uses the title "Special Agent" ) that we need viable options given their tracks intersect the Greenway in Ann Arbor. I actually feel that the walkers are the wost off. They would have to walk roughly a mile out of their way to access one of the two "legal" crossings at Lakeshore Drive or Barton Dam. There has been talk of a tunnel at Bandemere Park but given the cost I think the odds are very low that will ever happen.

IMHO this is nothing but litigation mitigation :roll: I don't see why they can't just create a designated pedestrian crossing with signs, etc. But if you are crossing RR tracks anywhere other than a road crossing and you see a white SUV, beware!
bill_m

Postby ADDam » March 23rd, 2009, 4:24 pm

Why are the tracks an issue? Am I missing some super cool trail over there? I couldn't count the number of times I've been to Olson on my hands and toes and I've never been tempted to ride on the tracks.
ADDam

Postby bill_m » March 23rd, 2009, 10:19 pm

Ok, I see we have a bit of confusion here. I am referring to the RR tracks that are commonly used to access Huron River Drive from Bandemer Park. On the map below the crossing is just South of the red dot off of the Park Road. The tracks that border Olson are not an issue as there is no reason I can think of to cross them and they are owned by another Railroad.

bill_m

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions